Best Speaker For a Hot Rod Deluxe?

steve_man

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yup...wonder if Celestion or Eminence reads these boards?

I've seen companies like D'Addarrio respond to reviews on Amazon, and many other companies pop up on boards to keep mis-information at bay. Most forumites can be worse than conspiracy theorists sometimes, haha.

I just ordered two weber sig 12b speakers so I'll see how those sound with the fender. They're supposed to sound similar to a Jensen C12N. I like that Weber is rated at 50 watts. I will have the pair in a 4x12 with a v30 & G12h30 on left and sig 12b speakers on left. Each driven by different tube amps; Weber for clean and Celestion's for dirty tones. I'll demo Fender with each pair, should be interesting.

• Members

Enjoying this thread as I recently bought a used HRDx and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Replaced 4 of the in/output jacks, just bought a footswitch (was missing) off a forumite, considering tubes and speakers as well as possible mods next. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Members

I've had a bunch in mine:

OEM--Eminence Legend 125--good speaker, under appreciated.

Celestion V-30--too brash, lots of bass, not subtle.

Celestion Alnico Blue--beautiful, but only rated for 15 watts, so it went back into my Vox AC15.

Jensen P12Q--too harsh in the upper mids, not very good at bass.

Jensen P12N--very nice cleans, well balanced, bright-ish. It gets a little buzzy when you add a distortion pedal.

Weber 12F-125--Gorgeous. Works great with cleans and distortion. Well balanced. Sweet mids, transparent highs. Yeah, it's rated for 20 watts (they do make a 30 watt model), but I'm willing to take the chance. My rhythm guitarist gigged it last summer at outdoor gigs and had it turned up loud using a tele. No ill effects to the speaker. Time will tell.

• Members

Weber 12F-125--Gorgeous. Works great with cleans and distortion. Well balanced. Sweet mids, transparent highs. Yeah, it's rated for 20 watts (they do make a 30 watt model), but I'm willing to take the chance. My rhythm guitarist gigged it last summer at outdoor gigs and had it turned up loud using a tele. No ill effects to the speaker. Time will tell.

Based on the research I've done on the Weber stuff, they're supposed to be rated conservatively. That speaker should be closer to 26 watts RMS. Webers can supposedly take about 30% higher than their rated RMS. Hot Rod is only 40 watts or so, not the best match up but I can see why it has not blown yet.

• Members

Enjoying this thread as I recently bought a used HRDx and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Replaced 4 of the in/output jacks, just bought a footswitch (was missing) off a forumite, considering tubes and speakers as well as possible mods next. Thanks for the suggestions.

I like the stock speaker, but for my playing style it can feel a bit too soft. Is that something you've experienced? Chords are not as articulate as I'd like, although they are easy on the ears and don't feel peaky.

here is a blurb from eurotubes Hot Rod link. I am interested in putting some JJ 6v6's in my fender to get closer to that Deluxe Reverb sound. I believe the way the JJ 6v6 is built means it can handle greater plate voltages that would fry most others. Supposedly, a preamp tube switch can help make gain channel more usable. I am one of the few people that actually seem to like gain channel. I find the voicing lends itself more-so towards modern sounding styles. To me it is very reminiscent of the Strokes, probably because they used HR Devilles. Their lead tone on early records was a HR amp cranked up all the way. In an interview I read they created a pile of HR amps because they kept going up in smoke after being abused from being run full out.

• Members

Enjoying this thread as I recently bought a used HRDx and I'm trying to decide what to do with it. Replaced 4 of the in/output jacks, just bought a footswitch (was missing) off a forumite, considering tubes and speakers
as well as possible mods next

Weber beam blocker!

• Members

I like the stock speaker, but for my playing style it can feel a bit too soft. Is that something you've experienced? Chords are not as articulate as I'd like, although they are easy on the ears and don't feel peaky.

This was my experience. The stock speaker was fine...but it just was not very articulate. I fell like the Seventy 80 gets kind of a bum rap. I think it actually sounds pretty nice clean...and sounds good distorted....especially since I got such a good deal on it!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Anyone have more input here? I would love to hear opinions from people who have tried something else since. Just noticing that Scolfax suggested a beam blocker to me twice.

I just went over the Weber catalog, and though I would love to try an Alnico I doubt I could justify buying a Weber new. I don't mind the stock speaker but wonder what possibilities there are. I'm hoping to get a smallish cabinet to use sooner or later, so at the worst I could use a speaker I don't favor as much there. Based on what I've read, I guess a Jensen, Eminence, or Weber would be a good place to start. I'll look over the Webers again, shop around, and hope the right used speaker pops up.

I just bought a pair of Winged C 6L6's as I don't feel ready to work with 6V6's just yet... though I would like earlier break-up.

• Members

It was mentioned that Eminence Legends are highly under rated. Truth. IMO they out Fender a stock Fender speaker in just about every case (except where a Legend is the stocker). If you ain't looking for a Fender sound, WTF are you doing with a Fender amp in da first place? They also aren't expensive which is why the cork sniffers with bad ears poo poo them.

• Members

It was mentioned that Eminence Legends are highly under rated. Truth. IMO they out Fender a stock Fender speaker in just about every case (except where a Legend is the stocker). If you ain't looking for a Fender sound, WTF are you doing with a Fender amp in da first place? They also aren't expensive which is why the cork sniffers with bad ears poo poo them.

There are a lot of versions of Emi "Legend" speakers, some better than others.

Eminence will build for an OEM as good a speaker as they're willing to pay for. I would say in most cases, post-Leo Fender (and in some cases Leo's FEI - like the crappy Oxford used in the Princeton from 1961 on) hasn't always been willing to step up to the plate for the best speaker for an application.

• Members

I can't speak for the OP, but I personally wouldn't be looking for anything more than maybe medium gain out of this amp. The heaviest stuff I play would be in the realm of some older and modern rock, but I like a classic kind of sound, either OD or fuzzy. No high gain distortion, hope I've worded that all okay.

Without quoting the OP, I think he mentioned he is playing in church with this amp and would be looking for maybe low to medium gain sounds using pedals, but mostly cleans. The same goes for me.

Based on all the mention of the Cannibus Rex I've seen, I plan to look into that speaker more. I trust the opinion of guys who do a lot of work with the amps and customize them. I can't help but wonder though... if I were to do some basic mods affecting the sound, would this greatly effect my ideal speaker choice?

• Members

I worked at Bradlees (remember that name?) in NJ in 1988 in the hardware/car dept. I longingly remember those days fondly, bringing in my Black Sabbath and Dio tapes and trying them in different tape decks and using the cheap speakers with the push button display. They were crappy speakers for sure but you do have a good idea and I wonder why they haven't had these displays in guitar places considering guitar speakers are a bucketload more than the cheesy 4" or 6/9s of yesteryear.

This would be the single most amazing gift anyone could give guitarists. Buying speakers is such a crap-shoot since it's impossible to realistically try them out within the confines of your rig, or even next to one another. This makes the market ripe for snake-oil like tactics on selling speakers. If most car audio stores and wal-mart can figure out how to put multiple speakers for users to test out I would imagine Guitar Center could as well. Get the staples from eminence and Celestion in a similar set up. At least at their flagship stores. I would drive 60 miles just to get the chance to try out many speakers head to head in a semi-controlled scenario. This is off topic. Continue on gentleman.

• Members

I worked at Bradlees (remember that name?) in NJ in 1988 in the hardware/car dept. I longingly remember those days fondly, bringing in my Black Sabbath and Dio tapes and trying them in different tape decks and using the cheap speakers with the push button display. They were crappy speakers for sure but you do have a good idea and I wonder why they haven't had these displays in guitar places considering guitar speakers are a bucketload more than the cheesy 4" or 6/9s of yesteryear.

A pretty cool idea, but not only pretty spendy - you'd want at least six or so speakers @ $150+ average, plus the rig to hook 'em up to, and just the space in a store to put them in cabs that do them justice. And then you're only scratching the surface of any one speaker company's product line. How many different speakers does Weber have? Or the Patriot and Redcoat lines from Eminence? That of course, doesn't include their Legend series....

It's a real shame, because speakers make a huge difference. I've been fortunate enough to be able to play with a lot of them.

• Members

Well I don't have the ears to discern what I want out of a speaker through sound clips online, so I may be stuck with what someone here has called a crap shoot. I thought maybe comparing response graphs and making a decision based on those would be smart, but most of them on the Weber site won't load. All I know is that everyone talks about the HRDx being a dark sounding amp, so I figure more emphasis on highs than lows would make sense. I think I need to play more before I make my own judgment call.

Archived