Okay-take a moment-watch Derek Trucks/Susan Tedeschi perform together & report back

GAS Man

• Members

They're married.

Yeah, I knew that part but was wondering what folks thought about their playing together. I mean, Susan was in with the young prodigy blues players, Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne, Derek, etc. But she was the least interesting to me when I heard her early stuff.

She seems to have grown into it fairly nicely. I thought I was hearing her missing the dig in on several notes there, but still know she'd mop the floor with me. But I also think Derek is far more stellar. But Susan's voice is quite alright. ;)

So I'm looking for "thoughts"

Yeah, I knew that part but was wondering what folks thought about their playing together. I mean, Susan was in with the young prodigy blues players, Johnny Lang, Kenny Wayne, Derek, etc. But she was the least interesting to me when I heard her early stuff.

She seems to have grown into it fairly nicely. I thought I was hearing her missing the dig in on several notes there, but still know she'd mop the floor with me. But I also think Derek is far more stellar. But Susan's voice is quite alright.
;)

So I'm looking for "thoughts"

I'd pretty much agree with all of that across the board. I like Derek's lead playing much better, but she's got a really good voice. And she's not bad on guitar either, but she didn't seem to "go anywhere" with her solo to me. :idk:

• Members

I liked it. I have a passionate loathing for post-SRV "guitar players' guitar players", but she sounds like all that {censored} never happened.
Kinda rootsy sounding, I could imagine hearing that at Woodstock or somewhere.

• Members

I liked it. I have a passionate loathing for post-SRV "guitar players' guitar players", but she sounds like all that {censored} never happened.

Kinda rootsy sounding, I could imagine hearing that at Woodstock or somewhere.

Yeah, I never had that loathing, but I would say I'd had my fill and needed a break. I loved SRV but even with the man himself, after a while his stuff all sounded about the same.

So maybe it's also having given the nuevo SRVs a bit of air time. ;)

• Members

I am on record here for not getting Derek Trucks so I won't explain that again.
I far prefer Grace Potter to Susan although she has a good voice.
She has the mannerisms down (pick in the mouth, etc).
I wish she would just sing though, not because she fumbled a couple of times cos everyone does.
I just think she could more into the piece without thinking about the guitar.

Maybe its different live but they both seem to jsut be going through the motions and the sound seems to be weak and muffled.
All in all a standard blues performance competently executed but not special.

but don't they wake up when Warren shows up??

maybe they just need some inspiration or someone to lead.................

• Members

I like her voice and general singing style, but I don't think her guitar playing is very good at all. Her soloing is very choppy and her technique is not very clean - lots of flubbed notes, sometimes not quite getting the bends into pitch, etc.

Derek is unreal as usual - a true master of the instrument. And they've got a good sounding band behind them.

• Members

i love to hear DT play... he is monk like when it come to his devotion to playing... its not a show.. you can see he holds ever note in control some players just fluff at it, pick the note.. and they dont deal with it after wards, get the gear to do the work... but he has control of his "tone" like jeff beck and mark knophler do.. from the beginning to the middle to the end... thats kinda control should be well respected... god knows if you are a guitar player you know just how rare it is.. mho... its one of those disciplines that very few ever achieve.. i love the alman bros... saw them a few times live... but this is the best version of Desdmona i have ever heard.. prob will ever hear..

mho

• Members

As good as Derek Trucks is, I always thought Warren's slide playing was closer in style to Duane's than Derek's is. However, I think both are truly great slide players. YMMV.

I agree with you Phil...Warren's slide work is a little more fluid, a little less manic then Dereks...

...add in warren's standard playing and singing, songwriting and arranging, and you have what you would call your 5-tool all-star...

• Members

I saw this Duo a few years back on a Summerfest sidestage. We were pretty close to the front and I gotta say it was awesome. Trucks is unreal at times.

It was better than the Allman Bros show at saw in an ampitheater situation....mainly because of the muddy sound bouncing everywhere.

I agree with you Phil...Warren's slide work is a little more fluid, a little less manic then Dereks...

...add in warren's standard playing and singing, songwriting and arranging, and you have what you would call your 5-tool all-star...

That's a good way of describing the differences. :)

And I agree with you -- Warren's a fantastic, multi-talented musician.

Archived