Okay-take a moment-watch Derek Trucks/Susan Tedeschi perform together & report back

GAS Man

• Members

I dig her playing. I'm definitely a perfectionist. I've certainly stumbled, but back in my heyday, I was extremely anal about getting every single note exactly right every single time. I don't hold the flubbed notes against her. I think she is probably more like some of the blues greats than most of the 'big name' blues guitarists to come along in the last 20 years. So many of them are so perfect, it's like they can't do anything wrong. And I love that as well... Trucks, Haynes, Mayer, Bonamassa... those guys are supremely great guitarists, but it's refreshing to see someone just trying to get by. Well, perhaps she's a bit better than 'barely getting by' but you know what I mean.

Either way, I dig the song, I dig the sound. Love her voice and what she does with it.

To me, Tedeschi's voice is like P90s into a Vibrolux being played a little too loud. Kinda barky, very organic, a bit grating, but it really works for those that like that sound.

• Members

I liked Susan Tedeschi's solo stuff - I wouldn't say I was a huge fan, but I dig her style and niche in blues. I absolutely love Derek Trucks - both his band and with the Allman Brothers. I like them even better together because they both provide something different their solo bands lacked. I haven't gotten around to picking up their album, but it's definitely on my list. I have listened to a lot of their live shows, though. Great stuff.

• Members

Exactly......that where Susan is much better IMHO.

Still for all his chops, for me, DT lacks the edge to his playing.

Dunno what it is - maybe his finger attack with that dramatic right hand?

It gives a mute that seems to blur the notes.

I find myself listenig and thinking "come on, let yourself go and get stuck in".

• Members

I like her voice and general singing style, but I don't think her guitar playing is very good at all. Her soloing is very choppy and her technique is not very clean - lots of flubbed notes, sometimes not quite getting the bends into pitch, etc.

Derek is unreal as usual - a true master of the instrument. And they've got a good sounding band behind them.

My thoughts exactly. She's a great singer, and I like the raspy quality to her voice, but her lead playing lacks fluidity. Derek is some kind of guitar player.

• Members

I'd pretty much agree with all of that across the board. I like Derek's lead playing much better, but she's got a really good voice. And she's not bad on guitar either, but she didn't seem to "go anywhere" with her solo to me.
:idk:

Nail on the head.

• Members

I dig her playing. I'm definitely a perfectionist. I've certainly stumbled, but back in my heyday, I was extremely anal about getting every single note exactly right every single time. I don't hold the flubbed notes against her. I think she is probably more like some of the blues greats than most of the 'big name' blues guitarists to come along in the last 20 years. So many of them are so perfect, it's like they can't do anything wrong. And I love that as well... Trucks, Haynes, Mayer, Bonamassa... those guys are supremely great guitarists, but it's refreshing to see someone just trying to get by. Well, perhaps she's a bit better than 'barely getting by' but you know what I mean.

I understand what you're saying - her playing is along the lines of the old school blues guys as far as technique/execution (maybe not intentionally but). But with an old blues tune, the whole recording has that kind of lo-fi/loose vibe and a few flubs "fit". In this case, that playing is in the context of a really smoking modern band that is nailing it, so it comes off differently to me. I know even the best make mistakes, but there were a few too many for my taste in that clip. Just choppy playing that felt amateurish. But I still enjoyed the song and no complaints whatsoever with her singing or rhythm playing. Just let Derek and Warren handle the solos :D

• Members

Im probably in the minority but I like her solos tons more than the dudes. She sounds more original/less contrived. They are too gimicky-wanking for me.

I'm with you. Tedechi is in a different league than either of them in her ability to emote (great vocalist). Trucks is a great technician and works great in a support capacity. I think they make a great team and will be looking for the CD.

Archived