Humbucker Size P90's?

Belva

• Members

Yes I know this question has been asked before but I want up to date info. I'm leaning toward contacting Brian @ BG. The guitar in question will be getting a refinish so I can wait 8 weeks. What's out there and what is the best? I wanna duplicate the sound of the original Gibby P90's as close as possible.

• Members

I'd have to go along and say the BG Pure 90s. I previously had the Mean 90s in a first year Santana/PRS SE and thought they sounded great. Might have even preferred the bridge pickup in that to the BG in my LTD but in the neck position and the middle position, the BGs were easily my favorite. The Dream 90s and the Phat Cats are OK, but definitely a step down compared to the Mean 90s or Pure 90s in my opinion.

I'm sure there are lots of other great options out there but if you can wait the ~8 weeks or so, I'd say the Pure 90s are the way to go.

• Members

... What's out there and what is the best? I wanna duplicate the sound of the original Gibby P90's as close as possible.

While there are others out there that can sound good in their own right ... P90'ish, if you want real P90 tone in an HB size, it does not get any better than the BG Pure90's. Besides just winding a great P90 to start with, one of the keys to the Pure 90, the "Pure" part is that it follows a real P90 construction formula, a real P90 bobbin, a real P90 base plate, and a non metallic cover.

• Members

Yes, there are a lot of BG-devotees on this board, but the Pure 90s are beyond skepticism. I've never heard anyone say anything negative about those. I have GFS Dream 90s in a guitar, and I've been thinking of changing them to Pure 90s.

• Members

Timely thread. I also asked the same question on TGP last week.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=939629

People are often quick to suggest their favorite HB size P90, but many haven't even tried the Gibson P90 so they don't have an accurate frame of reference. When you're looking for one to replicate the Gibson P90 unfortunately there aren't a lot of actual comparisons. I did finally find some good actual comparison information (which I linked within the above linked thread). It seems like people are always quick to recommend the SD Phat Cat and the Lollar SC for HB pickups, but the SD doesn't really sound like a P90 and the Lollar may sound like HIS P90, but his P90 doesn't really sound like the Gibson P90.

I'm either going to try the Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen or the BG Pure 90. The cons to those two pickups are the price and the wait, respectively.

• Members

Timely thread. I also asked the same question on TGP last week.

People are often quick to suggest their favorite HB size P90, but many haven't even tried the Gibson P90 so they don't have an accurate frame of reference. When you're looking for one to replicate the Gibson P90 unfortunately there aren't a lot of actual comparisons. I did finally find some good actual comparison information (which I linked within the above linked thread). It seems like people are always quick to recommend the SD Phat Cat and the Lollar SC for HB pickups, but the SD doesn't really sound like a P90 and the Lollar may sound like HIS P90, but his P90 doesn't really sound like the Gibson P90.

I'm either going to try the Bare Knuckle Mississippi Queen or the BG Pure 90. The cons to those two pickups are the price and the wait, respectively.

I have tried Gibson's P90 so I have a reference. At least to my ears, the BG Pure 90 gets the closest to that sound although it doesn't sound exactly like it... and it shouldn't really.

Like Cratz2, I've had GFS Mean 90s and found them to be very good (only truly good product I've found at GFS) and a lot better than SD Phat Cats, that I found lifeless and sterile. Plenty of clarity there but no balls. I really like Gibson's P94 but that another sound all together.

The thing with Bryan's Pure 90s is that they have all the clarity you could want but you can dial them down dark without losing any of the wonderful definition. There's a lot of power behind them too so they really versatile. They absolutely shine in semihollows. Install a set in a nice Sheraton and you'll never look at another 335 again. Through a tube amp, they seem to bloom and when driving them hard, they still keep that clarity and definition.

Pure 90s are hand wound boutique pickups at a bargain basement price. Besides a great product, Bryan offers outstanding customer service ands stands behind his product 1000%. You can even talk to the man himself and explain what your looking for and he''l build the product to your liking.

Like I said, hands down, BG Pure 90s are the best HB sized P90 on the market.

• Members

I have HB-sized P90s in two different guitars: one has a pair of Kent Armstrong's; the other a single BareKnuckle Mississippi Queen. Both sound fine, though in all fairness to Mr A i have to admit that the BareKnuckle has the edge.

All i know about BGs is what i read on here.

• Members

Good info, thanks! Like I said, I'm leaning toward him or BKP. The
sound pretty Gibson P90-like to me.

Strange, because
, these were deemed to be the closest in tone to the Gibson P90. (Granted, some of the new custom winders and boutique makers weren't featured in the shootout.)

I personally like them a lot and they would be my choice if BG's Pure 90s weren't available but I feel they tend a bit more towards the HB sound. Just a tad darker and not as much "pop". Like I said though, very good. I find the BGs to be smoother. Both cost about the same.

Here's sound clip from BG's page. First Bridge, then Middle position, then Neck. You can clearly hear the definition and clarity I'm so poorly trying to describe.

Clean

http://www.norcalguitars.com/clips/Pure90clean.mp3

High gain

http://www.norcalguitars.com/clips/pure90highgain.mp3

• Members

I have HB-sized P90s in two different guitars: one has a pair of Kent Armstrong's; the other a single BareKnuckle Mississippi Queen. Both sound fine, though in all fairness to Mr A i have to admit that the BareKnuckle has the edge.

All i know about BGs is what i read on here.

I have a standard-sized Armstrong P90 in this jobbie and think it sounds much, much better than the price would indicate. Never used their HB-sized P90s though.

DSC_7923a1.jpg

• Members

I personally like them a lot and they would be my choice if BG's Pure 90s weren't available but I feel they tend a bit more towards the HB sound. Just a tad darker and not as much "pop". Like I said though, very good. I find the BGs to be smoother. Both cost about the same.

Here's sound clip from BG's page. First Bridge, then Middle position, then Neck. You can clearly hear the definition and clarity I'm so poorly trying to describe.

Clean

High gain

Thanks Bone, good discussion. Your assessment of the BG Pure 90 is particularly interesting. I really like the raw, rough raggedness of P90 tone, and smooth is something I'm not really looking for. Regardless, I'll speak to Brian before making a purchase elsewhere.

• Members

It looks like pure 90's are the way to go. When I get time later tonite I'l post a pic of the geetar. It's a Hamer Slammer with a real nice ash body. I can't bond with the thin neck, but I'm thinking about mounting my fave neck to it.

Sounds like the GFS mean 90's are the best on a budget?

• Members
It looks like pure 90's are the way to go. When I get time later tonite I'l post a pic of the geetar. It's a Hamer Slammer with a real nice ash body. I can't bond with the thin neck, but I'm thinking about mounting my fave neck to it.

I'd go with Toneriders if I couldn't afford the Pure 90s.

• Members

I can vouch for the Mean 90's. Hard to beat for the money.

• Members

No love for Gibson p94's? I had a limited ed. LP

studio with those and a really loved them. I sold it bc I really don't like Gibson necks and I

Put some dream 90s in a guitar hoping to get close to it or a junior sound. They're great, but nowhere near as dynamic or classically crunchy. Also it's a $175 bolt-on, but I take that into account.

I miss my p94s. I'm too mod crazy to invest at the moment tho, I'm all about quantity lately haha.

• Members

Although I gave a thumbs up to the Mean 90's, I definitely would not want to give the impression that they are in the same class as BG's hand wound pickups.

Different level altogether.

I will own a set of BG pickups one day. :thu:

• Members

The Pure 90's are getting rave reviews. I'd try the mean 90's but the customer service from GFS has been MIA as of late. I've never owned a P90 guitar but have experience with a customer's PRS SE. He had me take the stock pups out, which weren't bad, and put a set of Gibby's in. The difference was HUGE! I already have a humbucker p/g on the "patient", so I thought about starting this thread. I'm also a bit anal about pup pole spacing and it's spot on with the 'buckers on this guitar. Why invest in a new p/g and "real" P90's when a possible trade off may happen?

Thanks for all the input.

Archived