Rock and Roll Fantasy Camp

nuke_diver

• Members

So I've seen the commercial that Chase runs in the US for this and wondered if it was real...and it is. Then I wondered if anyone has ever gone on it from HC? I checked the website and it seems really expensive. But I've done some really expensive things in the past that were worth the money (3 day Skip Barber Racing School at Laguna Seca a decade or so ago :thu::love:). Not sure if something like R&R FC would be worth it but it would be interesting to hear if anyone has ever done it

I would as I see get the bucket list of playing live in front of a crowd of strangers out of the way for me but there are cheaper ways to embarrass myself :facepalm:

• Members

I would fear the type of people who would be there. ....and I can already play, and have played on stage many times, so it doesn't really apply to me. I have however, taught at a camp where these types send their kids, it's called camp jam. I'm sure it's very similar to the adult version.

• Members

And there's the National Guitar Workshop, which seems to get decent reviews.

I went there when I was 15. It was a pretty good time actually. Truthfully, there isn't much you can learn in a week, when you're a kid just starting, but if you go and have fun, you'll most likely bring the books home and learn the rest. I can't imagine going as an adult though.

• Members

They have something like that in MN that I was considering but after watching some of the videos I decided not to. They dont limit how many guitars or bass players are in a group and I saw one band that had 5 guitar players and 3 bass players. I wont pay money to not hear myself in the mix but it would be fun if they could regulate the size of each group.

• Members

I have disposable income, I have no childern :D. I am also not going to waste my money. But if there was a bunch of people who came back and said it was very helpful I might consider something like this. But I could buy time at a bar to play for that kind of $$ if I wanted to.

• Members

I'm sure the Rock Star Fantasy camps are wonderful, but I can't help but think of this Almost Live clip from the early 90's:

[video=youtube;gfoiuoSiNHc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfoiuoSiNHc

A serious musical camp like Dweezilla, National Guitar Workshop or Victor Wooten's Bass/Nature Camp? I've done those and I'd happily do them again.

• Members

Seems like no one has done one and no one has a good opinion of it. Seems to me that they are more about "playing" with some rock stars then any real educational experience. Seems they are more for wantabes (like me) and not real musicians like aenemated :wave:. But seriously as I said before there are cheaper ways of getting on stage and it doesn't seem that there is a good reason to do this over something like NGW.

Even National Guitar Workshop is pretty pricey and would buy a lot of lessons but does seem to be more about how to play not just getting some pseudo instructions from someone who might be semi famous.

I still like the commercial though

• Members

I have watched the show on VH1. They were doing a marathon one night and I didn't feel like doing anything.

It reminded me of the ensemble classes I played in @ Berklee except the people on the show can't play to save their lives.

I did think that the SHOW would be worth watching for people who had never participated in something like the ensembles or who had never worked with a decent producer as it kind of gives some ideas on how to arrange songs (even if it's not the point of the show).

Aside from that the Ellen Degenerous looking drummer gives me the creeps along with the weird Dave Navaro meets Monroe Ficus singer.

The British girl is kind of cute but needs to get her grill fixed and learn how to stop trying to be Christina Agulierra and maybe drop 15lbs. There is a "stay at home" dad there, I would like to know what he is married to as he is basically unemployed and at Fantasy Camp.

There is another girl that dresses like a man with a blooze hat and looks like Blossom. She plays keyboards.

• Members

I will admit to this being my one TV guilty pleasure (I don't watch much, and no "reality" tv). It is absolutely for wanna-be's or serious hobbiests, like me,and not pro musicians, though there have been a couple of ringers. One guy this season is a music teacher. The lead singer in last season's winning outfit was a professional backup singer. Funny that someone mentioned the "stay at home dad" guy - I think he's playing my import Hamer, complete with the original pickups.

Archived