Black day on eBay for HanSolo!

HanSolo

• Members

Like the rest of you, I keep an eye on CL and 90% of what I'm seeing is the same old stuff being listed day-after-day and week-after-week. The only things selling are those that are well priced. $400 Fender Champs don't sell, while$250 and $300 Champs are moving.

There are a lot of stressed out people who are trying to sell their valuables and a much smaller group ready and willing to buy. Add in the fact that no one really needs a guitar (Much less an expensive one.) and you have a classic buyers market.

We've been selling off our American Indian jewelry collection on Ebay over the last few months and we've been very happy to be getting prices that reflect what we paid at wholesale ten years ago. In fact, we've had several auctions where the item didn't meet our reserve but were contacted later and made non Ebay deals that worked out quite well. Of course, our stuff is really beautiful!

I listed my Mint Condition Brawley Attack a few months ago and had several guys email me with trade offers but no buyers. I consider those to be legit and certainly from guys just like me, so I treat everyone with respect. At least they were offering something! At this point, I consider my guitars and other gear to be nearly worthless, so I'll be happy to keep it and make music.

Ebay auctions.... Always start your auctions at ninety nine cents. Auctions always bring higher prices, when people know that the item is definitely going to sell. Get two people who both want what you have and you can frequently make a killing!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Man, tough crowd out there.

Did all of this eBay activity take place this week? If so, (and since you're in the US) not everybody was home for the Labour Day weekend and probably not home for part of the earlier week or maybe this week. Did you have your auction close late at night or at the crack of dawn US time?

• Members
Yeah I don't want to be the dick that comes out and say this, but be happy you got $349 for an MIM Strat regardless if it was 60th Anniversary. In the end it is still made in MEXICO and unless it says made in AMERICA no one is going to give you a penny more. Most people think their gear is worth more than it really is. Sorry to be the realist :-(

I have to agree with this. It was a realistic price, plus he has to pay shipping which I always factor into the cost. so with est. 25 shipping that's 375, an ok average deal.

Now I sold a Classic 50s Tele Blond but had a HUGE chip of pain on the bottom and a few dings - my tech dropped it! - and sold it for 250, played perfectly. From the time the ad went up to cash in hand - 40 minutes.

Most MIMs on CL should go for 200 to 300. Sold an epiphone white studio for 200, epis always big drop in price. Custom epi in white with epi hsc for 400. oh well, I had fun with them while I had them and had that 'new guitar thrill' which is a high that is hard to place a value on.

• Members

Man, tough crowd out there.

I listed My Michael Dolsey Goldtop with an opening bid of $299 (my min) and that was all I got. The Michael Dolsey was an Epi Goldtop killer and I really expected to do better.

I thought it would go higher also. I had it on my watchlist and was thinking hard about buying it. I held off cause I'm gonna try and pick up a Gibson LP Axcess or a PRS SC245.

• Members
I thought it would go higher also. I had it on my watchlist and was thinking hard about buying it. I held off cause I'm gonna try and pick up a Gibson LP Axcess or a PRS SC245.

Seriously, that was just the coolest guitar. If I hadn't bought that Les Paul Goldtop DC for $999 a while back, I would never have sold it.

• Members

So now it just gets worse. I sold that Michael Dolsey thinline Tele for $399 and felt pretty good about it. I listed shipping a flat rate $45. Some guy from CA buys it and shipping for a 14# square guitar box was $67, including my 10% discount. Jeezus.

Get the guitar boxes from GC recycling and FedEx it for about $30.

• Members

$30? I wish.

Last guitar I shipped was a Baja tele, UPS ground. With insurance and a signature requirement it cost me about $75. I've stopped shipping. I have several nice guitars for sale on Craig's List. Not getting any love even though they are nice guitars at good prices (like a 61RI Sg for $1000), but I won't ship and I won't sell them for a big loss, I'd rather keep them.

• Members

Hey I wanted to mention something to you sellers. If you can, don't ship out of those fedex convenience stores, like Kinkos & so forth. They charge a HUGE amount more. I wanted to ship a guitar recently from OR to FL & they wanted $68 to ship it fedex ground. I said no way & shipped out of my wife's office for $21. You really pay heavily to ship out of those private post office type businesses.

• Members
So now it just gets worse. I sold that Michael Dolsey thinline Tele for $399 and felt pretty good about it. I listed shipping a flat rate $45. Some guy from CA buys it and shipping for a 14# square guitar box was $67, including my 10% discount. Jeezus.

I feel for you here, it seems like every time I have to sell a guitar, I get raped on shipping. Even if I think I listed shipping like $10 to $15 too high, I still lose money on it.

• Members
Hey I wanted to mention something to you sellers. If you can, don't ship out of those fedex convenience stores, like Kinkos & so forth. They charge a HUGE amount more. I wanted to ship a guitar recently from OR to FL & they wanted $68 to ship it fedex ground. I said no way & shipped out of my wife's office for $21. You really pay heavily to ship out of those private post office type businesses.

Not sure where else to ship from, seems all the ship centers are privately owned.

• Members

That was $71 in my box and with my packing. I went to Fedex first and it was $76.00 in my box.

Interestingly, I asked Fedex how much to pack and ship and they responded they will not pack stringed instruments. In so many worrds, "You have to ship a guitar at your risk, not ours."

You have to have a commercial account with a high discount to ship cheaply anymore.

• Members
Did all of this eBay activity take place this week? If so, (and since you're in the US) not everybody was home for the Labour Day weekend and probably not home for part of the earlier week or maybe this week. Did you have your auction close late at night or at the crack of dawn US time?

Nope!

I've been running Jewelry sales for three months and before that I sold a pile of BMW MC parts for good prices.

This past week the only auctions I ran were for BMW Accessories that I have manufactured and I sold about $400 worth of parts. Thats despite the fact that the past 4 to 5 months have been very poor for sales. In general, jewelry auctions are the pits these days. Most people are buying things they think they really need and thats about all.

As far as auction timing goes, I start all of my 7 day auctions on a Monday at around 7 PM Pacific Standard time. That way they all close on Sunday at 10 PM EST. The auction absolutely must close when the majority of people are at home and before they go to bed.

If yourte selling a guitar, Ya gotta make it easy for the buyer. Almost no one needs a guitar!