So what does a typical strat weigh?

keithcar

• Members

My ash-bodied Am. Std. Strat weighs 10.5 pounds...and I have held other ash strats over 4 pounds lighter. Wood from different parts of the same tree can vary quite a bit in weight. Although alder seems to vary less than ash in my experience, I think the weight of a Strat seems to have more to do with quality control than type of wood. I have an alder Mex. Strat that is right at 7 lbs, but I would guess that 8 lbs is closer to average.

• Members

Best way to scope that is to look through the Sweetwater Gallery. For a while now they have been listing the weights of a lot of the pieces featured in the gallery. Which I think is fantastic. I like to pick the lighter pieces. I think there's a better chance of getting a more resonant piece that way. But OTOH, with a bit more weight you often get a bit more sustain.

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/all/sCZ518764/

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/custom/sUS11012459/

• Members

My EJ weighs 7.75 lbs

My MIM weighs 8.25 with the standard, lightweight zinc block.

I've heard of EJ Strats weighing as little as 6.50 lbs and I'd love :love: to have one that light but I'm pretty sure that those get shunted off and sent to "Special" players or select dealers. My first one weighed in at well over 8 lbs and it was a complete dog. Boy, was I glad to see that one go! :wave:

• Members

What kind of scales are you people using for weighing guitars?

I mean, your standard average bathroom scale probably has an error margin of something like a pound when it comes to guitars that usually weigh in at appr. 5% of the average europeans weight?

And most kitchen scales i have seen do not really go above 2 Kg (4 pounds)?

Anyway, i haven't weighed my guitars for that very reason, but do have two mim strats of which one is really light (almost toylike) and sings, where the other one is sort of the weight that you would expect it to be from looking at it - if you get what i mean. That one sings a little less.

The heaviest guitar i own is a LPC from '79 - and for some reason it gives me the impression that it would even be in the heavier than average late 70's LP category :eek:

Still sings with the best of them, though.

• Members
What kind of scales are you people using for weighing guitars?

I mean, your standard average bathroom scale probably has an error margin of something like a pound when it comes to guitars that usually weigh in at appr. 5% of the average europeans weight?

And most kitchen scales i have seen do not really go above 2 Kg (4 pounds)?

Anyway, i haven't weighed my guitars for that very reason, but do have two mim strats of which one is really light (almost toylike) and sings, where the other one is sort of the weight that you would expect it to be from looking at it - if you get what i mean. That one sings a little less.

The heaviest guitar i own is a LPC from '79 - and for some reason it gives me the impression that it would even be in the heavier than average late 70's LP category
:eek:
Still sings with the best of them, though.

I have a grocery store scale that they weigh vegetables on and whatnot. Just lay the guitar down on it.

I reckon the next best thing is hang it from a fish scale.

Luggage_Weighing_Electronic_Fish_Scale.j

• Members

I measured mine on a Mettler Toledo large format balance in my lab. The accuracy is +/- 0.01 gram. I converted the weight to pounds and rounded to the tenth of a pound, as no one cares if my strat weighs 6.7 pounds or 6.71453 pounds.

I realize not everyone has their own expensive laboratory balance, but when I want to actually weigh something like guitar parts or whatever, this is the balance I use.

Archived