Show us your straps!

Hoddy

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just bought one of these at the weekend for my Strat.... still going to take a while before I'm fully happy with the schallers on it. Though I really still want to keep the guitar all-original (the only reason I bought these in the first place), I'm increasingly tempted just to get rid of them and use proper Strap buttons instead.

Anyhow.... this is the strap I bought:

224795.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by vteckid22

hey CompleteGuitard, is your drummer just using a snare? Not that is matters, but yeah.
:freak:

:cool:

Yeah we were busking down at a touristy area in vancouver. No live drums allowed technically, but we got away with a snare and a hi-hat.
ANd yeah we look weird, and no our violaist isn't copying spinal tap because thats not a violin, its a viola.

And yeah, Carpal tunnel syndrome = {censored}ing rawk

• 5 years later...
  • Members

I've been making my own straps for a few years, but just got more serious about it. Typically what I had been doing was collecting belts, and stuff from garage sales and thrift shops and hand sewing leather tabs on the ends. Now it's moved into leather coats, and the like, or stripping sofas at the dump for nice long pieces of leather.

I recently had sewing machine gas, and picked up a 1958 Singer 185J, which sews through leather and vinyl like buttah.

DSC00749a.jpg

Making a singular strap for a guitar, that belongs is fun, and beats back the gas for a while, anyway. Every one I make is different, but I am nailing down a good couple of designs. I have been using 1" memory foam in the shoulder, which makes any guitar seem to almost float.

Typically they are about 3" wide, made of leather, fabric and/or vinyl with strong leather tabs. Most of them are also reversible.

I've crafted some custom jobs for folks who have asked, never heard a bad word back, yet.

Here's some examples of some straps I have made.

2strapfinishedgroup.jpg

blackshoulderstrap.jpg

lightning.jpg

houndstoothone.jpg

frontbodywithstrap.jpg

rangeandstrap.jpg

I didn't do the Cree beading on this one, but I did add the sheepskin.

beaded.jpg

Archived