Robert Plant or Roger Daltrey?

Preacher

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a huge fan of both bands, and I think they both peaked in the early 70s (Zep went downhill FAST after Houses of the Holy, the Who a couple years after Who's Next but that was their last masterpiece as far as I'm concerned). Plant has the raw force, and if I were 17 and not 27 I'd probably have gone with him. But now I sort of find all the whininess annoying, as well as the rather clich

• Members

Plant by a mile until his voice died in 1972 and was buried in 1975. I'll take Plant in 70-71 over any Daltry, but I totally understand the fact that Daltry didn't kill his voice off right away like Plant did. Guess it depends on how it's judged. I give it to Plant for reaching the pinnacle of male rock vocalism even if it was brief.

• Members

Plant by a mile until his voice died in 1972 and was buried in 1975. I'll take Plant in 70-71 over any Daltry, but I totally understand the fact that Daltry didn't kill his voice off right away like Plant did. Guess it depends on how it's judged. I give it to Plant for reaching the pinnacle of male rock vocalism even if it was brief.

I suppose I agree with this...

• Members

If it's based on singing talent then in my opinion it's Daltrey by a mile. Those notes (and screams) come with such force clarity and strength. Plant and his falsetto can't even come close.

Personally I think Plant was by far the weakest link in Zep. But having said that, if I could only have one of the two band's record collections I'd take Zep every time.

All of these - Daltrey was the better singer by far.

• Members

even if you wanted to argue that Daltry is a better vocalist than Plant, how could you argue that the who has better songs than Zeppelin? no way. LZ has one of the most amazing back-catalogs in all of music.

IMO:

plant > daltrey

page > townshend in terms of playing but townshend > page in terms of concepts

bonham > moon

zep overall > who overall

the real question you will never be able to answer: Who's better: John Paul JOnes or the Ox? THAT is a real contest. :D (I happen to think Entwhistle is the most purely talented member of the who and JPJ is the most underrated member of Zeppelin... both were brilliant)

• Members

even if you wanted to argue that Daltry is a better vocalist than Plant, how could you argue that the who has better songs than Zeppelin? no way. LZ has one of the most amazing back-catalogs in all of music.

IMO:

plant > daltrey

page > townshend in terms of playing but townshend > page in terms of concepts

bonham > moon

zep overall > who overall

the real question you will never be able to answer: Who's better: John Paul JOnes or the Ox? THAT is a real contest.
:D
(I happen to think Entwhistle is the most purely talented member of the who and JPJ is the most underrated member of Zeppelin... both were brilliant)

Because this thread is called Plant vs Daltrey not Zep vs Who. So if people are basing their decisions on what band they like better than they are simply being biased and obviously can not separate their argument from their emotions.

And just because you think Zep's music is better than the Who doesn't mean it IS better. It's just your opinion. People who think who songs are better than Zep songs are not wrong either. It's just their opinion.

Hell even with singing, technique is only a small part of the equation. One guy might technically be a better singer than the other but that doesn't mean two shits if someone simply doesn't like their voice.

Basically in the end these types of threads should NOT be taken seriously.

• Members

Daltrey. I like Zeppelin, but Plant's voice gets very grating - it's the one thing that makes me want to turn it off. Now, if you could have Daltrey, Townsend doing backing and rhythm guitar, Page doing the lead, either of their bass players, and John Bonham on drums, that WOULD be (potentially) a really great band. On the other hand, there might be rather too much testosterone flying around.

• Members

Tough as both are great vocalists when in their prime: ie: 40 years ago.

BUT.... I may have to go Plant simply because whether Pagey stole riffs or not (which so does everyone)

At least Plant wrote a lions share of the lyrics for LZ.

Daltry has a natural raw talent...BUT Pete is the heart and soul of The Who..... people can talk {censored} all they want about Pete being a douche, or happy Daltry punched him, or "he's gay"..etc.... But the fact will always remain that every Who song that mattered were "words and music by Townsend"...... had Roger Daltry not met Pete Townsend.... the world would likely have never heard of Roger Daltry.....

And for that reason, I think Daltry always did/always will have a level of respect for Pete, no matter how much they disagree.....Pete arguably made Roger a very wealthy man.

Archived