I'm tired of cheap cables!

cincy_cosmo

• Members

Back in 1978 I was getting ready to go into the studio and was getting some strings and junk and I asked for a cable.

Little old lady behind the counter grabs one and says " This one will never let you down darling ", and so far it hasn't.

Pro-co

Yeah, any cable can fail at any time, but one of the oldest pieces I have is my original Pro Co cable I got when I got my first two pedals, circa 1986. It still works and I have it hooked up at this very moment.

:thu:

In general, I like the ones with the tension relief stuff under the connector and thick-ish heatshrink over the connector best.

I have some nice cables and some cheapies. I've never had a George L fail and I know a guy with two Mogami's that have never failed. Among the cheaper stuff, I have a generic one from Music-Go-Round from before they had a website and it's still going fine.

:idk:

Luck of the draw, I guess... and of course, it depends on how hard on the cables you are.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hate Monster instrument cables because in the name of being high quality, they're too thick and inflexible, and I don't mean the cable itself, I mean the insulation is too thick and inflexible, and causes the cable to be way too heavy. DiMarzio cables are much better in that regard and are my favorites in terms of quality* and handling, but as have been named, Pro Co cables are a great deal, their cheapest instrument cables are of consistently good quality and are much more flexible than Monster.

* DiMarzio cables can survive a cymbal landing on them.

• Members

Do tell the proper way to wrap a cable.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102879&filterName=Type&filterValue=Wire+wraps

Use these. When wrapping a cable I always coil them and put a slight twist in every coil so they lay flat. Some people like to put each coil over the opposite side of the last one. does the same thing. Improper wrapping of a cable is far and away the #1 reason they get fooked up.

• Members

Use these. When wrapping a cable I always coil them and put a slight twist in every coil so they lay flat. Some people like to put each coil over the opposite side of the last one. does the same thing. Improper wrapping of a cable is far and away the #1 reason they get fooked up.

i always take each end and fold the cable in half. Keep repeating until you have a 12-18 inch length. You are not putting any stress on the wire and next time you want to use it you just grab the ends and the whole cable unfolds without any kinks or tangles.

• Members

Do tell the proper way to wrap a cable.

It's a rather hard thing to explain in type. There are actually 2 "correct" ways to do it. "Straight coil" (or east coast) and "over-under" (or west coast). The way I do it is straight coil for mic/instrument cables. I will over-under large cables that live in trunks like big snakes or feeder cable. It's debatable which way is better, but either is better than wrapping it around your elbow or not wrapping it at all.

Straight coil -

[video=youtube;R7g9Oym3nCg]

Over-under -

[video=youtube;swMUqj9FfE8]

• Members

The impulse is to bring the cable in towards your body and then wrap it over adding a twist with the thumb and forefinger each turn.

But pro sound people lay on the new coils from the outside instead, with no twist.

They say this protects the stranded shield wires from getting cracked.

There is a proper way and the closer you get to it the better.

Back and forth in a straight line and tied in the middle is not actually the right way.

• Members

If you can't hear a difference then it's not worth spending a lot of money on it. It pays to validate the "too small a difference" assumption though, especially if you have a decent amount of cable in your signal path.

No one taking the bait tonight huh?

:cop:

:lol:

• Members

I have a couple of 18+ footer Moagami cables, a couple of 10' EPI cables, a couple of 12' Monster cables and a few 18' no name cloth covered generics. So far the EPI and the generics have been turds. For my money I prefer the Moagami cables, but I got them cheap with coupons or in the bargain bin. Main reason I went with that brand is because I can take them into my local GC without a receipt and they'll replace them no questions asked. Other brands, such as Planet Waves, make you ship the cable to them in order to get a replacement.

• Members

It's a matter of 2 qualities. Durability and capacitance. There is no "correct" capacitance number. It depends on your equipment and cable length. But if you are losing high end in your sound you need to be aware of the issue. Like others, I thought it was marketing bull at first but my guitar and I had a talk and I relented.

• Members

These are the top reported results based on 100 points for higher end cables from an article by Eric Kirkland called the Cable Summit:

90.75. Van de Hul Integration Hybrid

90.75. Two-Rock Crystal Clear

88.50. Analysis Plus Pro Oval middip

87.25. Cardas Audio Golden Chord

85.75. JPS Labs Superconductor FX

85.25. Requisite Audio the new cable

78.50. Vans Evers People Eater:

77.25. Cobalt Ultimate Instrument Cable

75.25. George L

75.00. Carver Professional ZEROpoint 34session

74.75. Pete Cornish Silver Signature

74.50. Alessandro guitar two

74.50. Canare GS-6

72.75. Planet Waves

72.00. Klotz La Grange

70.50. DiMarzio

70.25. Monster Cable Studio Pro 1000

66.25. Evidence Audio Lyric:

60.00. MIT Hardwire ST

59.00. Mogami

51.75. Zaolla Silverline

• Members

These are the top reported results based on 100 points for higher end cables from an article by Eric Kirkland called the Cable Summit:

90.75. Van de Hul Integration Hybrid

90.75. Two-Rock Crystal Clear

88.50. Analysis Plus Pro Oval middip

87.25. Cardas Audio Golden Chord

85.75. JPS Labs Superconductor FX

85.25. Requisite Audio the new cable

78.50. Vans Evers People Eater:

77.25. Cobalt Ultimate Instrument Cable

75.25. George L

75.00. Carver Professional ZEROpoint 34session

74.75. Pete Cornish Silver Signature

74.50. Alessandro guitar two

74.50. Canare GS-6

72.75. Planet Waves

72.00. Klotz La Grange

70.50. DiMarzio

70.25. Monster Cable Studio Pro 1000

66.25. Evidence Audio Lyric:

60.00. MIT Hardwire ST

59.00. Mogami

51.75. Zaolla Silverline

link?

• Members

I've had Planet Waves for almost 10 years. No issues, and because of that, I have no reason to upgrade or replace them.

They work for me too.

Recently got some of those long coiled Fenders (or are they Vox?) but have to admit they do tame down the treble. Still prefer the Planet Waves and if they keep behaving the way they are, I'll never have the opportunity to try out any other brand.

• Members

Blah blah

That's the report were the guy who creates a bunch of subjective and unmeasurable categories and assigns each cable a number for each category right?

• Members

That's the report were the guy who creates a bunch of subjective and unmeasurable categories and assigns each cable a number for each category right?

If you want a huge laugh Prawn, try reading the high end home audio and speaker cable comparisons. Especially the ones in UK magazines.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

:lol::lol::lol:

• Members

If you want a huge laugh Prawn, try reading the high end home audio and speaker cable comparisons. Especially the ones in UK magazines.

:facepalm:

Haha. I know, but this report was seriously up there. It seems even Lava cable (who sponsored it) have taken it down now, but if I remember right there was a category entitled "Stylistic range" which somehow reflects the styles of music the cable was best suited to. Another called "Feel" which was a measure of Whether the cable changed the feel of the instrument compared to when it was not plugged in. Complete, total and utter BS.

• Members

If you want a huge laugh you should find some thick guy that thinks home audio cables and guitar cables are doing the same job. Yes - palm your face in shame because you know not...

Archived