Kraftwerk Nominated for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Anderton

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by electrochrisso

View Post

With the synth gear they started with back then, I reckon the only you could get that sound would to have a very healthy bank account to buy the equipment. wink.gif

They really did get some incredible sounds in 1973... long before most synths could easily make all those sounds. Such as extremely complex sonic blending, dazzling white/pink noise FX, and complex layered vocoding. Their studio, as the story goes, was a nondescript hole-in-the-wall that looked like absolutely nothing from the street. Once ensconced in their studio, they'd bar the door, preventing any and all visitors... then remain holed up in there for days, vowing never to reveal how they planned and executed these wild sounds. You may laugh at me, but I really think these guys were into "chakra" study... A recording like "Autobahn" really seems to hone in on parts of the listener's physical body, stimulating specific chakric zones.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Kraftwerk--YES!

Rush--Meh.

As far as the 'snub' list goes--if everyone on that list was already in the HoF, who would they nominate next year? And the "controversy" about who is in and who is not seems to generate a lot of publiclity for the joint that they might not get otherwise. Not a bad marketing plan, if you think about it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by BushmasterM4 View Post
Kraftwerk - WTF !!! Rock ? I dont think so. You call that ROCK ???? And how can one say "meh" to Rush !!! Shame on you !!!! The Hall of Fame is a JOKE !!! Hell DEVO is more rock than KRAFTJERKS !!!! Sorry I just dont get it.
Well, I like Devo, too smile.gif The thing about Kraftwerk is that they were totally original; they basically a invented a type of music that perseveres to this day. Tons of artists cite them as an influence, from black R&B stars to groups like Depeche Mode to Bowie to just about anything these days called "electro."

Whether you like them or not, there's probably music you do like from musicians who cite Kraftwerk as an influence.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by electrochrisso

View Post

With the synth gear they started with back then, I reckon the only you could get that sound would to have a very healthy bank account to buy the equipment. wink.gif

I believe quite a bit of that gear was homemade. I was building synths and drum machines around the same time, and ended up with a lot of the same sounds they did - not because I was trying to copy anything, but there were only so many ways you could make sounds with the components of the early 70s.

• Members
Kraftwerk - WTF !!! Rock ? I dont think so. You call that ROCK ???? And how can one say "meh" to Rush !!! Shame on you !!!! The Hall of Fame is a JOKE !!! Hell DEVO is more rock than KRAFTJERKS !!!! Sorry I just dont get it.
That you seem to hold such a narrow definition of "rock" doesn't mean the HoF should.

And yes, I can say 'meh' to Rush all day long. I personally don't care much for them nor have they likely influenced much of anyone I care for. But I certainly understand that many other people love them.

• Members
The Hall of Fame is a joke.

Nonetheless, have you not heard the Kraftwerk that I posted or heard the description of their first several albums? Or understand the huge influence they've had on rock music? Don't care whether you like 'em, but you should be aware of what they sounded like and their place in rock history and the influence they've had.

This isn't a matter of taste. Many people feel that Rush should not be in the HoF either. But it's not about that. It's about their overall influence and history within rock and the evolution of rock historically.

• Members

I dont care if everyone thinks Im narrow minded. Kraftwerk, well, sucks donkey b#lls !!! Its not Rock !!! Its Techno, Bull{censored} !!! Elvis and other fathers/mothers of Rock are turning in their graves !!!! Shame on you !!!! All of you !!! I bet you all dress up in womens clothing and dance to Abba all night !!!! JMHO smile.gif

• Members
I dont care if everyone thinks Im narrow minded. Kraftwerk, well, sucks donkey b#lls !!! Its not Rock !!! Its Techno, Bull{censored} !!! Elvis and other fathers/mothers of Rock are turning in their graves !!!! Shame on you !!!! All of you !!! I bet you all dress up in womens clothing and dance to Abba all night !!!! JMHO smile.gif
Well, as I said, it's not exactly rock and roll. But they had a huge influence on rock and roll, and Kraftwerk-type elements have been included in rock - even Robert Cray's blues band was influenced. And what about R&B? Should R&B artists not be in the rock and roll hall of fame?

The problem is with stupid labels. There should just be a "Great Effing Music Hall of Fame," and let the chips fall where they may smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mister natural

View Post

The Museum itself is pretty special - you gotta go at least once - just to see the Sgt Pepper Uniforms in person, the hand-written lyric-sheet for "Lucy in the Sky", Jimi's white Strat

I'd have to have a better reason to end up in Cleveland... Drew Carey taping something in town.. a flat tire on the interstate, plane diverted due to plaid clouds etc.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Anderton View Post
Well, as I said, it's not exactly rock and roll. But they had a huge influence on rock and roll, and Kraftwerk-type elements have been included in rock - even Robert Cray's blues band was influenced. And what about R&B? Should R&B artists not be in the rock and roll hall of fame?

The problem is with stupid labels. There should just be a "Great Effing Music Hall of Fame," and let the chips fall where they may smile.gif
The Music Hall of Fame !!! That covers it all. You still coming to the next dance ? If so bring some chips and salsa. Cheers !! smile.gif

• Members
Its Techno, Bull{censored} !!!
Ah, so you didn't listen to my YouTube post of Kraftwerk. Or read my posts. Thank you for confirming my suspicion.

Again, no one cares whether you like it or not, but I think we'd all appreciate it if you got your facts straight.

Now, you can carry on with calling people names and we'll just continue to look the other way. smile.gif

• Members

I've been trying to track down the German versions of the albums. The singing is not really the highlight of the music, and the lyrics are for the most part very simplistic and you can pick up on them if you know any German at all. So far, I own "Die Mensch-Maschine" and "Computerwelt." I think people for the most part tend to sing better and with more conviction in their native language, plus eliminating the heavily accented English makes Kraftwerk less nerdy sounding (though the dude is still not really a singer).

I lived in Germany for many years and Kraftwerk was not widely listened to by Germans at all.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bookumdano2

View Post

I'd have to have a better reason to end up in Cleveland... Drew Carey taping something in town.. a flat tire on the interstate, plane diverted due to plaid clouds etc.

I gotta say I've had some great times in Cleveland smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Zooey View Post
I've been trying to track down the German versions of the albums. The singing is not really the highlight of the music, and the lyrics are for the most part very simplistic and you can pick up on them if you know any German at all. So far, I own "Die Mensch-Maschine" and "Computerwelt." I think people for the most part tend to sing better and with more conviction in their native language, plus eliminating the heavily accented English makes Kraftwerk less nerdy sounding (though the dude is still not really a singer).

I lived in Germany for many years and Kraftwerk was not widely listened to by Germans at all.
When I go to Musikmesse, if I have time I go to the Saturn electronics stores and root around for German versions of the CDs...I have several of them at this point.

Would love to get the boxed set, but for $250+ ...not right now, thank you.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by UstadKhanAli View Post
Ah, so you didn't listen to my YouTube post of Kraftwerk. Or read my posts. Thank you for confirming my suspicion.

Again, no one cares whether you like it or not, but I think we'd all appreciate it if you got your facts straight.

Now, you can carry on with calling people names and we'll just continue to look the other way. smile.gif
You must care !!! You keep quoting me and replying !!! Its all good Khantilope, I'll leave this one alone, I know its your genre of music. Call it anything you like, but "Rock" it isnt. Im done smile.gif

• Members
Its all good Khantilope, I'll leave this one alone, I know its your genre of music. Call it anything you like, but "Rock" it isnt. Im done smile.gif
No, you don't know whether it's my genre of music or not (I like their first album or so, but they're hardly my favorite band, and I only own one of their releases). And I never said it was exactly rock (they were, then they kinda weren't). I simply like to get my facts straight. And that's why I keep keep repeating.

It's cool if you don't like it. It's cool if you don't think it's rock. It's cool if you don't like the HoF. That's not the issue. Your facts are wrong. You'd be better off if you simply said, "I can't stand this stuff." That'd be fine.

But when you start asserting that it doesn't belong, when you don't know the history and influence of the band on rock, when you don't realize that they played rock early on with drums and bass and so forth and weren't playing synth/techno early on, sorry, you're quite frankly wrong. It's not like this is an opinion or all that subjective. If you're a rock band playing rock instruments when you start off, you're a rock band at your inception.

• Members

This is not Rock:

This is not Rock:

But I'd say this is Rock:

It has a rock beat and funk elements. Modern headbangers/hair-banders see themselves as the direct sons of Elvis and Little Richard and Buddy Holly, and see Kraftwerk, Depeche, Yazoo, et.al. as having been "traitors" somehow to "good old rock and roll". It's an inaccurate, macho perception. Or at least, not a very nuanced or strict one. Heavy metal and so-called "modern rock" are just as divergent from 1950's "roots" Rock 'n' Roll... as any Techno or Disco is.

• Members
I have no idea what you listen to, but have you ever heard the first two or three Kraftwerk albums? If you like groups like Can or Neu, you might enjoy this ...
I hadn't heard that before and yes it's good stuff. Just to be clear, when I say they're "not my cup of tea" I don't mean that I don't like them at all. I really enjoyed them when they broke through but just not enough to want to go and buy anything. I think of Can in the same kind of way - very original, quite influential and I liked them, but my brother owned a couple of their albums so I didn't have to buy 'em smile.gif

As for the argument over whether they're "rock" or not, I tend to think of rock encapsulating a wide range, from the Arcade Fire to Alice Cooper (but probably not Abba), Bjork to Black Sabbath (but probably not the Bay City Rollers), from ... no I'll stop there, you get the picture - so yep, I'd say they fit in.

BTW, apologies for long delay in responding - work has been hectic here!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistic View Post
Oh and I can't let this thread disappear without posting the video below. I'm guessing Bill Bailey isn't too well known outside of the UK so maybe some of you won't have seen this before.

Well I really like Kraftwerk, and I think that video is great!! Truly hilarious. Thanks for that, 'll have to check out more of Bailey's videos.

As to whether Kraftwerk is rock or not...well, I've eliminated singer-songwriter, whaling songs, and opera. So, they must be rock.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Surrealistic View Post
Oh and I can't let this thread disappear without posting the video below. I'm guessing Bill Bailey isn't too well known outside of the UK so maybe some of you won't have seen this before.

Well I really like Kraftwerk, and I think that video is great!! Truly hilarious. Thanks for that, 'll have to check out more of Bailey's videos.

As to whether Kraftwerk is rock or not...well, I've eliminated singer-songwriter, whaling songs, and opera. So, they must be rock.

• Members
No, you don't know whether it's my genre of music or not (I like their first album or so, but they're hardly my favorite band, and I only own one of their releases). And I never said it was exactly rock (they were, then they kinda weren't). I simply like to get my facts straight. And that's why I keep keep repeating.

It's cool if you don't like it. It's cool if you don't think it's rock. It's cool if you don't like the HoF. That's not the issue. Your facts are wrong. You'd be better off if you simply said, "I can't stand this stuff." That'd be fine.

But when you start asserting that it doesn't belong, when you don't know the history and influence of the band on rock, when you don't realize that they played rock early on with drums and bass and so forth and weren't playing synth/techno early on, sorry, you're quite frankly wrong. It's not like this is an opinion or all that subjective. If you're a rock band playing rock instruments when you start off, you're a rock band at your inception.
"I can't stand this stuff."

Archived