So yeah, I'm selling five guitars to buy one guitar.

honeyiscool

• Members

Music Room in Knoxville TN.. Awesome shope, but dude has everything packed in so tight, you can't pull one out without banging and clanging everything around it. Of course, he didn't seem to care cuz he pulled one out of the middle of this 10'x10' square of at least 100 guitars and banged the {censored} out of it in the process.. Then he did it again when he put it back. I was standing there cringing the whole time. His "nice stuff" wall isn't as bad, but it's still pretty tight.

might have to check this place out..

• Members

Did they have any good deals/prices?

Not really.. His Gibsons are nice and priced accordingly. The Fenders are all packed like sardines and banged up, yet he had MIMs tagged at $350 plus. It's more of a "if you can think of it, I've got it, but it's gonna cost ya" kind of shop. That 10'x10' pile I mentioned was all the cheaper stuff,

• Members

btw, don't get me wrong about the shop. It's a cool shop with that great mom and pop/hippie vibe going on. But walking around in there is kind of like being on an episode of that show about hoarders.. Lots of cool old effects pedals and a Les Paul............. amp.

• Members
btw, don't get me wrong about the shop. It's a cool shop with that great mom and pop/hippie vibe going on. But walking around in there is kind of like being on an episode of that show about hoarders.. Lots of cool old effects pedals and a Les Paul............. amp.

I initially thought you were talking about that Ciderville place. I went in Music Room about 9-10 years ago, I bet they didnt have 12 guitars in the whole place.

• Members

I initially thought you were talking about that Ciderville place. I went in Music Room about 9-10 years ago, I bet they did have 12 guitars in the whole place.

Ciderville is still around, but it's gone way downhill.. Back in the day, they had the Gibson wall, the Fender wall and the Martin room. Now it's the Squier/ occasional Fender wall, the anything but Gibson wall, and the Martin room has more Takamine and camo-painted acoustics than Martins. Very sad to see an East TN landmark go down the crapper like that.

I bet Music Room STILL has those 12 guitars, but there are 100 piled on top of them, so he can't find them. Seriously.. The Tele I looked at was sitting on a stand WITH a MIM Strat. Two on one stand. He was the one that pointed the Tele out to me, so he moved the Strat by just laying it over on another guitar. It was entirely surreal to see guitars just banged around like that.

• Members

I dig it!
:thu:
A couple of years ago I was always checking out the Daphne Blue Mustangs when at my local Sam Ash.

There was a program at my daughters' school last night and the school has a house rock band called Trogdor. Man, there was a teeny shrimp of about a 12 year old kid who was playing a Daphne Mustang and I swear this guy was ripping it up doing Jimi's "Red House." Oh damn, this kid was seriously smoking. Lots of feeling, great tone, played with real skill and precision and great timing but he still had a lot of personality and soul.

Then at the end the band did Queen's "Crazy Little Thing" and this kid took the lead vocals and was singing while soloing and whipping off all these single note runs. I gotta say I was astounded. My wife (also a musician) leaned over and said "Well, we may well be hearing that kid's name again a few years down the road."

Later in the performance the school jazz ensemble was playing and the same kid was playing (electric) bass for them. Again, just played great. Took a couple of solos that seemed improvised to my ears on Miles Davis' "Freddie Freeloader" and War's "Lowrider." I haven't been so impressed in a long time and this cat's in the {censored}ing 5th grade.

• Members

On another subject, Squier hate is foolish. There are plenty of great Squiers out there. The CVs and VMs have some great models, they had the excellent ProTone series in the 90s and back when they started as MIJ in the early 80s, the Squier stuff was as good or better than most of what Fender MIA was churning out during the same period.

I ain't of the "Any Squier can beat any Fender" school--that's absurd--but there are some fine Squiers out there, even from recent years.

Granted, there are a lot of crap ones too, and there have been some years that most Squiers sucked goat balls, but don't write 'em all off.

• Members

Haha, it's three years old at most. I did look at the vintage Competition Mustangs, but most of them are Candy Apple Red or Capri Orange or Lake Placid Blue or any of the colors, but never Olympic White. Also, I don't really care about vintage that much.

Great score and if you're happy with the price that's all that matters. As for vintage.. I'm with you there, I don't care if I ever own anything "vintage" there is so much great new gear out there that I don't have any desire to deal with the "vintage" market.

• Members

moving up in the world huh?

MIJ fender will be an excellent guitar.

Actually, I've had four MIJ Fenders before. Three Mustangs (two '65 and one '69 RI), and one Jaguar, Candy Apple Red w/ matching headstock:

206949_888308879721_16667_41526570_36470

I sold the Jag because I realized it's not my kind of guitar (but I'm contemplating an HH Jaguar at some point) and sold the Mustangs because ultimately, I saw something better in the '73 RI. I also have an MIJ Fender Mustang Bass:

207510_888761572521_16667_41532493_89552

Part of the fun now will be that I will have matching guitar and bass. If the Mustang Bass were my primary, it'd annoy me that it didn't have racing stripes and matching headstock, haha.

These five guitars and how excellent they've been is one of the reasons I'm fine with buying MIJ Fenders without playing them first.

• Members

Although I wouldn't get that particular guitar, I definitely sympathise with the principle of selling multiple guitars for 'the one you really want'. I have very nearly done that on several occasions... but just too much in love with one mid-priced guitar, which, curiously saves the two other electrics at the moment.

Edit: I suppose what holds me back is the fear of regret... if I find, after a few weeks of really getting to know the thing, that it isn't, actually much (if at all) 'better' than the best of the cheaper ones I sold off.

Archived