And the Mighty Keep Falling...

Anderton

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by MikeRivers

View Post

As for the Stones' new collection of greatest hits, I expect that the price kept most but really serious fans or collectors away. Even just the "ordinary" 3 CD set for $30 (not such a bad deal, actually) is quite foreign to the download generation, much less the $160 Deluxe set. And it's probably on "the torrents" already.

Sure is! Got mine last night. wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Anderton View Post

This is the quote that caught my eye, but it's not an isolated incident:

The Rolling Stones' GRRR! drops from #19 to #64 in its second week, proving that a 50th anniversary hook isn't enough to sell a three-disk album in this market
Wouldn't the drop in the charts be partially due to 4,239 Stones fans dying of old age in that one week period?

• Members

The last Stones CD I bought was Voodoo Lounge (also the only time I ever saw them live was the accompanying tour) back in the mid 90's, however I did buy Let It Bleed in mp3 format from Amazon for $5 within the last couple years. The boys continue to send me happy birthday e-mails. They really are a great bunch of fellas!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Anderton View Post
Of course not, but what's surprising is that it's surprising to the record companies, who put endless amounts of hype into all these releases.
They are in the business of selling stuff. First, they scrounge around for stuff they can sell, since it's hard work and risky to develop it from scratch. Then, to try to get it to sell, they hype it. If it so happens that it doesn't sell all that well, they make excuses.

It just happens to be music they are selling, but it could be anything.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by blue2blue View Post
As an experiment, I'm going to see how long I can go without looking up Gangham Style in Wikipedia.

No doubt I'll live to regret my willful nescience.
Slickly produced Korean pop video with a vague social message about materialistic priorities and double lives in Gangnam, the glamor district of Seoul, South Korea. Oh, and over a BILLION YouTube hits when you add up the different versions. I never saw that B word used in context of YouTube hits before.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rangefinder View Post
They are in the business of selling stuff. First, they scrounge around for stuff they can sell, since it's hard work and risky to develop it from scratch. Then, to try to get it to sell, they hype it. If it so happens that it doesn't sell all that well, they make excuses.

It just happens to be music they are selling, but it could be anything.
Well, I suppose they could start selling Mick's lips. icon_lol.gif

• Members

This isn't the 90s. Nobody cares about boxed sets anymore, and the Stones have already had several big selling compilation albums and boxed sets in the past. What's on here for anyone that wasn't on "40 Licks" a few years back?

Either you love the Stones and have most everything anyway, or you're a casual fan and any number of much-cheaper compilations will do you well. Although I see the label thought they were clever and have released this in 2, 3 AND 4-disc versions. facepalm.gif

This really is little more than a shameless attempt to milk a few more dollars out of the most ardant fans who consider themselves to be 'completists' and maybe snag a few other more-casual fans along the way. Just in time for Christmas. Don't know what else to get Uncle Robbie? Well, he IS a Stones fan so we can always buy him that new Stones boxed set (even though he doesn't really care about it). Better than a tie, I suppose?

FWIW, my personal Stones CD collection consists of Hot Rocks, More Hot Rocks, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed and the mini-LP versions of the Atlantic-years stuff (Sticky Fingers thru Tattoo You) that were released in the early 90s. Is there anything much I'm missing that I NEED (besides maybe "Get Your Ya Yas Out")?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guido61

View Post

FWIW, my personal Stones CD collection consists of Hot Rocks, More Hot Rocks, Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed and the mini-LP versions of the Atlantic-years stuff (Sticky Fingers thru Tattoo You) that were released in the early 90s. Is there anything much I'm missing that I NEED (besides maybe "Get Your Ya Yas Out")?

If I had 12 X 5, Beggar's Banquet, and Exile on Main Street, I'd be covered smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guido61

View Post

This isn't the 90s. Nobody cares about boxed sets anymore, and the Stones have already had several big selling compilation albums and boxed sets in the past. What's on here for anyone that wasn't on "40 Licks" a few years back?

That was my impression when they came out of hiding this year, "didn't they just release a greatest hits and tour it forever?". Even by pricing people out, the Stones can still sell a truckload of tickets. I have to question someone on the news here recently who said they paid

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by beatpoet

View Post

The other thing about any "career-spanning" Stones greatest hits album is that the adverts cycle through the videos from their career and they always stop at Start Me Up...which was thirty years ago!

That they had a 20-year long career of being a relevant, hit-making band was impressive then and still is today. But the truth is they've been riding on their past success since "Tattoo You". Sure, they've managed to still chart a couple of hits since then, but nobody is paying $600 to hear them play "One Hit To The Body".

Archived