Why do rock bands bother having keyboards live?

honeyiscool

• Members

Deep Purple was the first band I thought of. I think the problem is that 99.99% of bands stick to the formula. You're either straight ahead rock and in that case keys don't do much for you, or you have some slow tunes that are specifically for keyboard. I think if you're writing songs keys give you just one more paint brush to use, you can do it without being totally wimpy too.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Keyboards have been highly effective in numerous rock bands over the years.

Doors, Rolling Stones, Journey, Allman Brothers, Pink Floyd, Styx, Led Zeppelin, Nine Inch Nails, Faith No More, Rainbow and many others made good use of keyboards.

have you ever seen Kansas, deep purple, the cars, or Elton John live? Go ahead and laugh at Elton.

• Members

I play in bands with keyboardists all the time and it's never a problem and only adds greatly to the music.

I find your premise completely ridiculous.

I agree. The people who disagree are lead guitar players who think the whole band should revolve around them. HEY LISTEN UP, ASSHOLES. Music is a team sport. All the players have to at least be on the same stage and your ego is pushing them off. I've gone to auditions and told them before even opening up my case that your lead guitar player is an asshole. Count me out. A good keyboard player can make the band. Y'ever heard of Greg Allman?

• Members

I think it's all in how the band approaches it. My last band was an indie rock band where the singer/songwriter was the keyboard player. We would simply write around each other so that we weren't playing in the same register. One of us would be playing "the part" while the other played some cool counterpoint line above it, or often didn't play at all (a concept so many rock guitarists don't seem to grasp). Bands should be able to kind of mix themselves by not all trying to occupy the same frequencies and being conscious of their volumes. At that point the sound guy just needs to reinforce what's happening on stage. Another common problem I've seen are big fluctuations in volume between key patches. Organs will be ripping loud while pianos are super soft.

• Members

My band has a keyboardist. Great player but you're right about volume. Nobody in the band is particularly loud but that mother{censored}er needs some more volume for sure. His keyboard amp is larger than either of the guitar amps we use, but still we have problems. And a regular piano, forget it.

• Members

My band has a keyboardist. Great player but you're right about volume. Nobody in the band is particularly loud but that mother{censored}er needs some more volume for sure. His keyboard amp is larger than either of the guitar amps we use, but still we have problems. And a regular piano, forget it.

I have found its not so much a matter of volume as it is cutting thru the mix.

• Members

Through the years I've worked with several keyboard players. Mixing guitars and keys can be tricky. I usually end up tweaking my tone to be a little thinner and make the guitar parts a little thinner to make room in the overall sound. So basically: a lot of give on my part really made for a good sound. That's what's worked for me.

• Members

Through the years I've worked with several keyboard players. Mixing guitars and keys can be tricky. I usually end up tweaking my tone to be a little thinner and make the guitar parts a little thinner to make room in the overall sound. So basically: a lot of give on my part really made for a good sound. That's what's worked for me.

This is the correct answer. If a guitarist is willing to turn down his lows and low mids, it really opens up the sonic space for keys. I just joined a band that is adding keys and am already planning on reworking my EQ. He is also going to be playing some guitar which will be nice.

• Members

Doesn't really matter what the instrument is. Some people just have a bad case of "look at meeee!" syndrome. It's supposed to be about music. Y'ever heard of blend? That's what it's all about.

Archived