Unsung heroes of the Fender amp family?

Deadbeat Son

• Members

What are some of less popular (read less expensive) choices in the Fender amp family? The silver faces used to be the under-the-radar amps, but they've gone up in price significantly over the past few years.

I know of the Pro Reverb; it's still priced well below most of the other Fenders of its generation. What else is out there? Anything from the '80s or early '90s that cop that old school classic Fender tone?

EDIT -- I forgot to mention I had an '80s Champ 12 and it didn't really do much for me. I also had a '79 SF Champ that wasn't as "full" sounding as I like. Would a Champ with a 10" baffle/speaker upgrade sound significantly different?

• Members

In terms of underrated amps, the Pro Reverb and Tremolux are the first two that came to mind.

I'd also throw the Vibrosonic in there, but it's kinda heavy. It's basically a Twin with a single 15".

10 or 15 years ago, I'd have thrown the Vibrolux in the mix, but it seems to have made a bit of a comeback.

In terms of pure value, the Silverface Twins have to be at the top if you don't mind the weight and many of the Rivera-era II series amps for for chump change, the Fender 30, Super Champ and esp the Concert are some of my favorites of the lesser-knowns.

Some folks seem to hate the Red Knob era but most that I've plugged into were pretty great-sounding. They are just harder to work on than most of what came before.

I'm no Champ expert by any means as it's not really my kind of amp, but usually going from a quality 8" to a quality 10" won't make a radical difference if you are wanting more volume or more headroom. A high-efficiency 12" would definitely make a difference but for a 10" to make a big difference, it would have to be a GREAT 10" like an EV 10L or something along those lines.

• Members

The Bandmaster and Bassman also pop up on craigslist for relatively cheap sometimes.

I've seen a Cyber Twin, but I have no idea what it does/ sounds like.

I used to play in a band with a guy who played through BF Bandmasters. I haven't played through one in years though. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one, but I'd rather go with a combo. I really like the Bassman, but those are pretty Marshally, and I'm pretty well covered in that department.

• Members

The silverface Musicmaster bass amps are pretty killer guitar amps. Basically a Princeton with just a volume and tone control, but with a 12" speaker. Extremely simple circuit, but it works. You can usually get one for around $300, though it's worth changing the speaker. I've had two of them and really should have kept one.

• Members

How about the old Bronco champ? It's just a silver-face Vibro Champ IIRC, but you can find them for cheap sometimes. People have already mentioned the Vibrolux and the Pro Reverb...I'll also chime in for the Red-knob era amps-those are some of the best buys on the used market, IMO...

• Members

Yeah, if you can get a Musicmaster amp, they're pretty solid for anything.

Also, the very rare Fender Harvard (the vintage one, not the solid state reissue). Here's an awesome demo of one. '68 Gibson LPC through a '58 Harvard. But this are pretty rare/expensive. I just felt like mentioning it.

[video=youtube;qzps_eP3cIk]

• Members

EDIT -- I forgot to mention I had an '80s Champ 12 and it didn't really do much for me. I also had a '79 SF Champ that wasn't as "full" sounding as I like. Would a Champ with a 10" baffle/speaker upgrade sound significantly different?

Keep in mind, unless you go through any old amp, blueprint every component for drift, possibly replaced the electrolytic caps, possible replace the tubes, and (in SF Fenders) possible replace the speaker, you haven't any clue what that amp can sound like. The reason there seems to be a lack of consensus on many amp models is because any too vintage amps can have drift up to 25% or more from each other in the way the circuit works.

If the amps 25+ years old, until you account for every single resistor, cap, etc. in there, it's a crap shot. That's why I don't recommend old "bargain" amps anymore, if someone doesn't know how to go through the amp and do some maintenance, then they are on the hook for bench fees for any necessary TLC.

• Members

Keep in mind, unless you go through any old amp, blueprint every component for drift, possibly replaced the electrolytic caps, possible replace the tubes, and (in SF Fenders) possible replace the speaker, you haven't any clue what that amp can sound like. The reason there seems to be a lack of consensus on many amp models is because any too vintage amps can have drift up to 25% or more from each other in the way the circuit works.

If the amps 25+ years old, until you account for every single resistor, cap, etc. in there, it's a crap shot. That's why I don't recommend old "bargain" amps anymore, if someone doesn't know how to go through the amp and do some maintenance, then they are on the hook for bench fees for any necessary TLC.

Valid points, all. Thanks for the input Wyatt.

• Members

I sold my Deluxe Reverb to fund the purchase of a JMP 2204 (what're ya gonna do when G.A.S. strikes?), but I fully intend to replace it ASAP.

I have a JMP 2204 and a JMP 1959. Great amps. I know the HR series of amps are either loved or hated. I didn't love mine, but I did like it. I had two and should have kept one. I sold one when I bought my first Marshall (a JCM 900) and the other when I bought an Orange.

• Members

The ultralinear SF line gets a bad rap but I like them. I inherited a 70 watt Super Reverb that needed repair and, once it was fixed up and adjusted it sounded great. Incredibly clean and very powerful and responsive. It takes pedals well and there are many great overdrives to choose from these days.

One of my young students really appreciates Fender clean sounds and his MIM strat sounded so good through the monster that I gave it to him. (I took it to a few gigs and realized that I'm to old to be lugging a Super around any more - I have a '73 Princeton Reverb that works really well with a SM57).