I Gotta Know! Top Load Or String Through?

Elias Graves

• Members

Getting close to decision time on mounting a bridge for my new tele. The Wilkinson bridge allows top load as well as string through.

My tele knowledge is limited. Is one inherently better than the other? Any real advantage?

The guitar is all walnut and will have Fender original vintage tele pups, if that matters.

EG

• Members

I have an ASAT that's a top-loader and it sounds good. I used to have a 72 Thinline RI where the ferrules would fall out. I was scared I might break a string during a gig and lose a ferrule so I'd stick a strip of duct tape on top of them. I vote top-loader.

• Members

Huh... I always thought that the six extra holes drilled through the body is where all teh toanz leaked out through the super Thin Skin nitro finish?

:lol:

If I were building a tele from scratch, I'd drill the holes and install the ferrules. I doubt the tone will change much though I would expect like 1% more sustain going through the body and I'd expect the strings will be about 5% easier to bend if you don't go through the body.

• Members

What I noticed when I did string thru on my '51 is that the body vibrated more...versus hearing saddles rattling. Putting that aside, the concept of added energy transfer seems pretty intuitive. Regarding (perceived) string tension, I'd say if anything that the extra string material between the saddle and ferrule would provide more "stretchable" potential (i.e softer feel). As for all of it, YMMV.

• Members

What I noticed when I did string thru on my '51 is that the body vibrated more...versus hearing saddles rattling. Putting that aside, the concept of added energy transfer seems pretty intuitive. Regarding (perceived) string tension, I'd say if anything that the extra string material between the saddle and ferrule would provide more "stretchable" potential (i.e softer feel). As for all of it, YMMV.

That's pretty much my feeling as well. But the top-load does give a softer feel, so if a slinkier feel wins over sustain, then go top-loader. Jim Campilongo doesn't seem to have any problems with top-loader Teles.

Archived