I Gotta Know! Top Load Or String Through?

Elias Graves

• Members

Some will tell you it makes no difference. I truly believe string thru is the way to go. That extra down force on the saddles can't be a bad thing.

Top load is the lazy approach.
:)

I'm one of those who will tell you that it makes no difference what so ever. As long as you have at least a 14 degree break angle on the strings you have enough to do the job as well as it can be done. Increased break angle doesn't help or hinder one way or the other. As a matter of fact a lot of Les Paul players top wrap their strings over the tail piece to get less string break angle because they think it makes the strings easier to bend which I don't believe in either because no matter how much downward pressure the string exerts on the saddle the string tension must remain the same in order to maintain pitch. I do find it kind of funny to hear the top wrap guys complaining how their strings keep popping out of their saddle slots though.

• Members

I have both. The top loader is a much cheaper guitar tho, with lower quality hardware and budget single coils, and a heavier body. The string thru is light pine with a Wilkerson saddle like you are considering, and Wilde pickups. So comparing tone or sustain is useless.

However, the string tension is greater (or at least feels like it) on the string thru. The top loader definitely feels slinkier. Next time I restring the pinecaster I will top load it and see if that bears out.

• Members

I decided that string thru was more trouble than it was worth since I'd have had to find a larger drill press to do it on. Top load seems just fine to me. I have no sustain issues. Strings feel pretty loose and easy to move around where I want 'em, but that is subjective since it might just be that particular guitar.

• Members

I think string through looks better, but can't imagine it make a huge difference. How is there more tension on the strings if you use the same gauge stings tuned to the same pitch?

There's not more tension, but some people think the strings feel a little stiffer (not tighter) and have a little more sustain because the steeper break angle pulls down on the saddles harder.

• Members

doesn't matter.

Disagree. I have a guitar that has the option of string through or top load and it sounds pretty different. No other variables change except for the strings going through and the string through has a deeper, less poppy sound to it and more sustain...fuller rounder sound.

There is a place for both however, I prefer the string through.

• Members

As a matter of fact a lot of Les Paul players top wrap their strings over the tail piece to get less string break angle because they think it makes the strings easier to bend which I don't believe in either because no matter how much downward pressure the string exerts on the saddle the string tension must remain the same in order to maintain pitch. I do find it kind of funny to hear the top wrap guys complaining how their strings keep popping out of their saddle slots though.

I've been top-wrapping for a few years now on my TOM/stoptail guitars. I've never had it pop out of the saddle.

There's a few things that may be advantageous about top-wrapping:

1) Most important IMO. The stoptail can be screwed into the body all the way.

2) The lower break angle reduces stress on the string.

- Although the tension between the nut and bridge is the same regardless of how you string it, the tension between the TOM and stoptail is increased with increased break angle.

- Also, the pressure at the point of contact with the bridge decreases with the decreased break angle.

- Finally, the angle the string is bent itself is more stressful at higher angles.

3) It just looks farking cool! :thu:

• Members

I've always felt that one of Leo Fenders greatest designs For a Tele type bridge was the original ASAT bridge. Its a top loader but the saddles lock together in a frame.

saddle-lock-bridge-large.gif

i just wanted to point out that these can be bought direct: http://www.glguitars.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=175

..they are awesome.

also note:

"The bottom side of the bridge has a large protrusion which fits into a route in the body. The protrusion fits snugly against the end grain of the body wood, allowing the highly resonant bridge to transfer much more of the string vibration energy directly to the core of the body, yielding much greater sustain than his earlier fixed bridge design. Again, Leo's innovative saddle design was used to minimize string breakage."

..so this is not equivalent to a standard top-loading tele bridge.

Archived