Anyone else having a hard time selling gear on CL lately?

guitarman3001

• Members

It's like everyone's trying to sell and no one's buying anything.

Is it just me?

Well, and then there are the others, who try to buy without getting an answer. Theres a guitar for a premium price, which I'd like to pay without any discussion, and it sits there since December 1st. Well, yes, I'm living in Germany, and CL is a local sales platform, I know. But how "local" is the internet? And if it doesn't sell there for 7 weeks, is it so hard to just respond to a mail and say: "no, I'm not interested in selling it, just wanted to post some nice pictures?

• Members

I've been selling a bunch of guitars lately and it's taken a while for them to move. Nothing on craigslist has worked out - I did get a few trade offers. I ended up privately selling two to ebay bidders for a little less than my reserve price. Worked out because it was "enough" but a little short of what I'd hoped to get.

• Members

I had a hard time selling my 10' MIM fender. Personally, if I don't get close to what I want and I don't inflate the price, I'm not going to give it away. I sold it for $330 with some mods(stock pickups) and setup but it took a month. I was getting offers for $200. I'd rather break it in half and toss it in the garbage than sell it for $200.

There are vultures on CL, that will wait till a few weeks after you post to offer a price thinking... if it hasn't sold yet you might be willing to take a lowball offer. It is automatic now if I have anything that doesn't sell in 2-3 weeks, the flood of emails/texts/calls come in.

• Members

I avoid CL as much as I can, and mostly only use it to buy. Way too many tirekickers and shifty losers around. I prefer to sell or trade through forums, over the years I have had great experiences doing this. Worst case most of the time paypal gets a cut of the transaction. Ebay is my second option, even if they take a cut, its worth it to not have to deal with idiocy

• Members

e-bay's tough too. I had something up for auction last week and had about 20 watchers. Not one bid even though it had a lowball starting price. As soon as it was over I started getting the offers of "I'll give you $xxx.xx to ship it to Canada" or "will you take $xxx.xx since that's the price minus the e-Bay fees." Now I don't like paying e-Bay anymore than anyone else, but if you saw my listing through their service then I believe they are entitled to their cut.

I ended up selling it locallly for less just to get rid of the damn thing. Plus the guy's a friend so you know I can't work a buddy over.

But yes, it's rough out there right now.

• Members

Now I don't like paying e-Bay anymore than anyone else, but if you saw my listing through their service then I believe they are entitled to their cut.

Agree 100%. I get tons of emails on ebay where people are like "screw these no-good c**ksuckers, lets do a deal off ebay, so you don't have to pay fees."....... No thank you...... if ebay is what brought my item to have 37 watchers, and a nice bidding shoot out at the end.... I will gladly pay them their cut.

That's 100 times easier than dealing with Craigslist tossers that can't understand:

1) Cash only doesn't mean that I am accepting weed as a form of payment.

2) No, I am not picking you...(and your German Shepard) up....to come look, and a ride back if you buy....or if you don't..... and if you do....I'm not carrying the 5150 2x12 combo you just bought up 4 flights of stairs since you are on disability.

3) Since used gear is sold under the tacit assumption of 'as is, no warranty,' no, I'm not going to sign a document *handwritten by you* swearing that the 15 year old DOD "Envelope Filter" you just bought from me for twenty bucks won't blow up, melt, or fall apart while you gig over the next 5 years.

• Members

Last week I sold a black plastic Fender poodle case for an American Strat or Tele on CL.

I didn't want anyone coming to my home.

I picked a public place.

It was a WaWa store/station near Great Adventure off of 195 in NJ.

I met the guy there and he paid me $5.00 more than the asking price because I went out of my way to do the deal.

• Members

I've had about the same luck for a year now. Some of it moves fast, some slow, and all of it does move eventually. I'm pricing to sell, though, not looking for top dollar, just don't have the patience for that.

What's up on CL in my area is a real trip right now. A lot of stuff has been there at least 6 months, maybe even a year. And it's posted EVERY WEEK, you'd think they'd get a clue. But in the last couple of months there's been an influx of unusual gear, like people are cleaning out their closets or letting go the stuff they wanted to hold on to. Don't know why it's happening, only that there's a lot of pretty cool stuff available right now. Luckily I'm broke, otherwise I'd be tanking our budget on green semi-hollows and bizarre home-brew frankenstein pedals.

• Members

I've sold two things in the last two days in Denver, which is a pretty crowded market. In each case, they sold after I "renewed" the ad. That is, each ad got moved back to the top of the first page. Otherwise, in Denver - and I'm sure it's worse elsewhere, your ad goes to page 2 or worse pretty fast (within the first day).

I can't believe I'm not getting any nibbles on my Bandit . . . .

Greg