Anyone else having a hard time selling gear on CL lately?

guitarman3001

• Members

I don't know what it is but it seems like the buyers have completely disappeared lately. In the past, I could usually sell an item within a couple of weeks, at worst. Now I've been trying to sell a couple of things for over a month and have had only two replies and both have been ridiculous low ball offers.

And in general it seems like I'm seeing a lot more gear being listed for sale by others lately. It's like everyone's trying to sell and no one's buying anything.

Is it just me?

• Members

Oh yeah...... I had a DSL 100 Marshall head on there for $500.

And I Digitech GSP1101 with Control 1 foot controller for $475.

1 or two lowball offers. But nothing serious.

So I just hooked that stuff up and started jammin' through it and realized I didn't want to sell it anyway! {censored} sounds great I'm keepin' it!! :)

• Members

Having a hard time acquiring gear on CL.....

All i asked about was the case candy....read from the bottom..

--------------------------

Kiss my ass!

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 2:37 AM, Jamdogg wrote:

I prefer to simpy wire you cash or paypal, if thats ok. *I am a nigerian prince, so you can be sure i have the cash in hand. *Please ship the guitar to me and wait for instructions on how to claim your monopoly $.

Blessings,

Rachel Ray

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 23, 2012, at 5:05 PM, jane dassow wrote:

• Members

My brother and I have a saying about CL. "There's always stuff". There are definite ebbs and flows of supply and demand and I think a lot of it is seasonal. Before the holidays it was more of a sellers market with pricies staying high and not much worth buying at a price I wanted to pay. The last couple weeks there has been lots of stuff to buy cheap. I picked up a couple really nice Strats and a Super Champ XD. Just this week I have seen a couple Hot Rod Deluxes with very minor issues for $200 (+ or - a couple bucks) and I'm very tempted. A Gibson 60s Tribute SG for $500. There's always stuff!

People have spent their holiday gift money and are now faced with the credit card bills. Cash is tight and cheap used gear is plentiful. If current trends hold it will soon be tax refund season, prices will go up and availability of good cheap gear will go down.

Years ago I found myself with two houses and two mortgages coming into the holiday season. I really needed to sell. My real estate broker told me something I never forgot. "There's only one reason a house (or anything else) doesn't sell. It's price. You either have to adjust your asking price to the market, or have enough patience and time to wait for the market to change."

I don't buy and sell gear to make money. I do it because it's fun to try new stuff and to have new toys to play with. I flipped both Strats (although I really liked both) at a $200 profit (after I set them up) which gave me the SCXD free with enough left over to pay for a pickup upgrade on my Tele. I sold them both for a little less than they would be worth in a better market but did it in less than a week. That's why I was able to jump on the SCXD deal when it came along.

If you want to get a better price either go to eBay and hope you can make up the fees in higher selling price, or pull the CL listings and wait a couple weeks for tax refund season.

• Members

Yeah I give CL about a week then go the ebay route. In general, eBay is easier because you don't have to deal with flakes and idiots. I can't tell you how many times somebody said they were going to come look at something and I waste my time waiting. I always price stuff to sell too. I don't inflate the price to negotiate. I put it for cheaper than what it goes for on ebay so there is an incentive for a buyer to come pick it up.

• Members

I don't know what it is but it seems like the buyers have completely disappeared lately. In the past, I could usually sell an item within a couple of weeks, at worst. Now I've been trying to sell a couple of things for over a month and have had only two replies and both have been ridiculous low ball offers.

And in general it seems like I'm seeing a lot more gear being listed for sale by others lately. It's like everyone's trying to sell and no one's buying anything.

Is it just me?

People tend not to spend money this time of year because the Christmas CC bills arrive. Things will stay slow until tax returns start mailing out.

• Members

i'll trade you that mint les paul custom for this bag of tacks and a coupon to dennys.

hey did you reconsider my offer yet?

hey i am not sure if you got my other emails but i would trade you that les paul for a bag of tacks and coupon to dennys

what if i threw in 50 bucks?

are you getting my emails??

• Members

a deaf guy wanted to send his "assistant" over to my house to pay more than i was asking for a guitar amp one time. that was funny. i sent him all my personal info and never heard back though, still waiting...

Funny, I got the same offer on some artwork from a blind guy...