Most beautiful songs(s)/album(s) you've ever heard

2pacHendrix

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

"hallelujah" (i really dig both the Leonard Cohen version and the Jeff Buckley version)

"Stand By Me" by Ben E. King

"Jersey Girl" done by Tom Waits

"the Boxer" done by Simon and Garfunkel

there are many others, but these four are on my mind right now.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

"Don't Give Up " - Peter Gabriel with Kate Bush. Kind of describes Everett, WA whenever Boeing does a round of layoffs.

"Lacrymosa" from the Mozart Requiem. It's been given the Rodney King treatment, starting with the movie "Amadeus" and continuing today with commercials, but it's really one of the most perfect pieces of music ever.

• Members

There are so many examples in contemporary music (so many things by Hendrix alone) that I thought I'd go back a-ways.

O Mio Babbino Caro from the opera Gianni Schicchi by Puccinni. The recorded performance by Kiri Te Kanawa is just achingly beautiful. But pretty much everything written by Puccinni is.

Bailero from Chants d'Auvergne by Cantaloube. I have a recording of Frederica von Stade singing it. Like a beautiful dream.

• Members

Patty Griffin's Goodbye is crushingly beautiful.

I just saw this! I almost linked this song, myself. There's a really nice live version of that song on her live album (I think it's called A Kiss in Time or something like that), if you haven't heard it yet. I just LOVE Patty Griffin, so it's good to see her getting the props she deserves. There are too many excellent songs in her catalog to choose from, and I had a hard time choosing which to post, hehe. Children Running Through has to be one of the best albums ever. She's definitely among the greatest songwriters ever, at any rate.

• Members

This overwhelmed me yesterday:

iP-RFsuv-8Q

This astonished me today:

DrQRS40OKNE

A lot of the rest is Purcell and Bach, and they don't get tearier than Dido's Lament:

H3wAarmPYKU

(Not my favourite version, but the Tubes can be like that.)

And Van Morrison's Astral Weeks (the album as a whole), of course:

4ech6pZoBJ4

• 2 weeks later...

Archived