Guitarists, do you also own/play bass?

skipstar59

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

PAS, do you actually play the upright? Does that upright have a pickup? Stray Cat style bass. Very cool.
;)

Yes. I get more gigs on upright than anything else. Not classically trained, I play Bluegrass, Rockabilly, Country, Americana, Blues, even some CCM at church.

The pickup is an old Fishman BP100 I got back in the early 90s, along with the acompanying Fishman Bass PreAmp. Normally these are supposed to clip on top of the bridge, but I have mine superglued to the tailpiece side of the bridge in a sweet spot.

Its old pickup techology, much better stuff available nowadays, but it works. I use an amp I got at around the same time, a little SWR Workingmans 12. Its fine because most of my gigs do not require a lot of stage volume. The bass is a Romanian made plywood, with an ebony fingerboard.

The electric is an SX P/J I keep around if needed.

• Members

for me, it's his '62 Jaguar..

thanks! I consider mine to be a good deal. $578 shipped in mint condition with a nice G&G hard case.

I played one of those Gretsches and it was one of the best basses I'd ever played. Felt awesome, sounded great. Very limited production run I think.

I agree, very cool. I don't know how limited, but I think they are a Guitar Center Exclusive. Not sure of bass's make, but the pickups are supposed to be real T.V. Jones. Loved it either way. Certainly worth the $799 GC was asking, IMHO

• Members

I love playing bass. It's just another type of guitar, 12 string, baritone, alternate tuning there are so many configurations, bass is just one of them.

I got this Brice Jazz Bass copy at Rondo when they still had a store in New Jersey. About $400 bucks, gourgous matchbooked swamp ash, great pickups and bridge. The tuners and pots were crap so a changed them. This bass is good.

brice4.jpg

This is my Spector 5 string, it's a pretty nice neck through.

spector5.jpg

• Members

I agree, very cool. I don't know how limited, but I think they are a Guitar Center Exclusive. Not sure of bass's make, but the pickups are supposed to be real T.V. Jones. Loved it either way. Certainly worth the $799 GC was asking, IMHO

I think select GC's got only 1, and that's it. Not sure how many. I played one in store and saw one on craigslist, but couldn't afford it at the time.

• Members
Thanks for yor kind comments. The RD on the left was my first bass. I got it out of a pawnshop in '93 for $300. It's a great bass and has seen many, many miles. It's still my number one.

I got the Iby back when they released it. I have owned a couple of Gibson EB hollow bodies, but I really longed for a long scale semi hollow. This one fits the bill for me. The SX I ended up giving to a cousin who expressed interest in playing. I still have a hole in my collection waiting for a good Jazz bass. Preferably a Fender in the same dress as that SX.

Actually, I always wanted a Ric bass in white. Mine is silver. I've never seen another one like it, and I understand they are pretty rare. Either way, when I stumbled into this one, I had to have it. Here's a better pic that shows its color.

DSC00087.JPG

Wow I thought in the 1st pic it was white too. Here's mine (lousy pic) 1980:

ricky.jpg

Dig the silver....factory paint?

• Members

91da8498.jpg

My two. The slab partscaster is a one piece ash semi with ebony board, Schaller tuners, badass bridge and musicman/p bass pickups wired thru a 3 way and vol/tone. I defretted it after a few of the original frets popped out and filled the fret salts with basswood and epoxy. Looks like {censored} but sounds and pays well.

The upright is a German made laminate bass with a 'bulletproof bassworks' lexan bridge, custom mounted Schaller magnetic PU with piezo 'clicky' behind the fingerboard to pick up the slap tones. I use solo gauge pirastro flexocor strings, they are steels but have nice, dark, gut like tone and no harsh twang on the slap.

Although I started on guitar I have pretty much always been a bass player in bands, my rockabilly 3 piece is hibernating at present but we were pretty busy for a few years, paying some reasonably high profile gigs on the UK rockabilly circuit.

Archived