Guitarists, do you also own/play bass?

skipstar59

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been playing bass almost exclusively over the last few years, after years of guitar. I'm just now getting to the point that I think bass instead of playing like a guitar player. Hard to describe.

Currently have just one bass, this monster that I built and subsequently modified. This pic doesn't show the knobs which are your standard black metal knurled units.

5271215967_ee65eb7474_b.jpg

Since I'm gigging more, I've finally bought a backup. In this case, a cheap Ibanez SR300M which is IMO probably the best at that price point. The Squire Jazz basses are also worth looking at in that price range. The Ibanez should be here Saturday.

Ibanez%20SR300M%20Bass%20Guitar.jpg

• Members
I think mine is like the old version of the rbx series? Has a different bridge plate, different pickups, and isn't as moulded a shape, and is a natural finish. Still, both killer basses!
:thu:

I just like the fit and finish of Yamahas. Even the saddles look fitted and not so nuts'n'bolts, and the tuners are nicely finished.

• Members
That must have been incredible. I am a big fan of Victor the bass player and Victor the person. His book "The Music Lesson" is great.

It really was, and not just for meeting Victor, Steve Bailey, Chuck Rainey, Billy Sheehan and other greats (Billy Sheehan's story about one night opening for Rush is priceless!). Victor's become somewhere between an acquaintance and a friend; he always calls whenever he's in the area and we at least try to grab some dinner if he can't come over for a home-cooked meal.

And yes, The Music Lesson has a lot to teach; at the very least it's a great insight into the mind of a master musician.

1438_1.jpg
It has turned out to be a very fine instrument and I have started to play it myself.

Nice axe. Yamaha makes great stuff.

• Members

I play a bunch of different instruments, a handful of them well enough to get paid for, but I play bass for a living.

It has always been my bread and butter instrument. No matter how good I get at other instruments, or where ever they take me, I will always look at the world through the eyes of a bass player.

Some really great basses posted in this thread, especially th op's since I am primarily a Fender guy when it comes to basses.

Thanks Dave. I LOVE Fender basses. If those Fenders hadn't found me I'd have never found out how awesome basses are.

• Members

i own and play a fender P-Bass. no pics yet though.

Great Dane, I finally looked at your guitar collection. WOW !!! I really don't think you have a P-bass cause there would be a pic of it in the CHAIR. Just saying.;)

Your '59 Jazzmaster HAUNTS me .

• Members

Great Dane, I finally looked at your guitar collection. WOW !!! I really don't think you have a P-bass cause there would be a pic of it in the CHAIR. Just saying.
;)
Your '59 Jazzmaster HAUNTS me .

aw heck~ thank you! i do in fact have a P-Bass, but it hasn't gotten the chair yet even though i've had it a while.

that jazzmaster is pretty damn amazing; sounds great and plays really well too. it was a good score.

• Members
I'm a guitarist by trade, but I moonlight on this little beauty:

2011-09-24_22-32-59_391.jpg

Played one of these recently, and really dug everything about it. It was extremely comfortable to play. Maybe I'll try and convince myself I need a second bass here in the future.

299132_10150308044057911_782147910_80145

I played one of those Gretsches and it was one of the best basses I'd ever played. Felt awesome, sounded great. Very limited production run I think.

• Members

Currently own a crapful of guitars and 4 basses. 1 Fender P-bass and 2 P-bass types and a fretless/headless Kramer.

The Johnson P-bass model is outstanding.

I have posted the pics before.

Starting with a new band next Thursday on bass.

Surfy

Archived