Guitarists, do you also own/play bass?

skipstar59

• Members

At one point a few years ago, I was playing bass in my band - stopped buying guitars and focused on bass gear. Had about 15 basses and just as many cabinets - from a single 1x8 to uh, pretty much everything: 4x8, 6x8, 8x8, 1x10, 2x10, 4x10, 1x12, 2x12, 1x15, 2x15 - and duplicates of some. Basically had a spare bedroom with stacks side by side along 2 walls, and the 15 basses on wall hangers above them. :D

I've stopped playing bass (professionally, for now), and sold off a few high dollar ones so I could buy guitar stuff, but still have about 8 nice ones. One of my favorite is a G&L ASAT Thinline bass, along with my Fender Am Dlx Jazz. I've been keeping my Jaguar bass out recently - it's pretty flexible going from passive to active and the two J pickups.

I've had some fun plugging in my 1,400 watt QSC power amp up through 4 cabinets and checking the house's structural integrity. :D

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At one point a few years ago, I was playing bass in my band - stopped buying guitars and focused on bass gear. Had about 15 basses and just as many cabinets - from a single 1x8 to uh, pretty much everything: 4x8, 6x8, 8x8, 1x10, 2x10, 4x10, 1x12, 2x12, 1x15, 2x15 - and duplicates of some. Basically had a spare bedroom with stacks side by side along 2 walls, and the 15 basses on wall hangers above them.
:D

I've stopped playing bass (professionally, for now), and sold off a few high dollar ones so I could buy guitar stuff, but still have about 8 nice ones. One of my favorite is a G&L ASAT Thinline bass, along with my Fender Am Dlx Jazz. I've been keeping my Jaguar bass out recently - it's pretty flexible going from passive to active and the two J pickups.

I've had some fun plugging in my 1,400 watt QSC power amp up through 4 cabinets and checking the house's structural integrity.
:D

WOW. Awesome collection of cabs. Were you EVER curious about daisy chaining ALL your heads and cabs together just to hear the HUGE roar? ;)

• Members

I've been playing bass for 33 years now, but never on stage, only for my personal pleasure and projects, so I don't consider myself as a real bass player.

I learned on a friend's '63 Precision! But soon I bought this lovely '67 Vox Bill Wyman in the early eighties - and I still have it!

VoxBillWymanSignature08.jpg

Then, in the late nineties, I bought this Squier Precision 5 (cheap but surprisingly good-sounding):

Bassgroup01.jpg

Some years ago, this active 5 fretless H&K:

HK5-stringfretless03.jpg

Had to have a Macca kind of bass, so here's a copy with some mods:

Bakersviolinbass11.jpg

One year ago, a Fender CP Precision that's my main bass (no pic); then I 've been lucky so find a lovely '78 Musicmaster:

FenderMusicmasterbass7803.jpg

Gave me gas for a Mustang bass, so I bought the Squier Vintage modified and modded it a bit:

SquierMustangbass03.jpg

Last but not least: I've always been in love with Gibsons EB-2 and EB-3 (Cream, Free and so on) so I ordered a custom EB-2/Rivoli bass from the french luthier Lo

• Members

M.T.M, the Vox Wyman and the Rivoli are such unique and killer looking basses.I've never seen a Vox Wyman before,so I assume it very rare and collectible.
:thu:

Yes it's very rare, but nobody cared about it in the early eighties so it was cheap. It's is stock, except the removed sunburst on the front (It was already refinished when I bought it) - the back still has its original finish (behind the belly cushion):

VoxBillWymanSignature09.jpg

• Members

I've had a couple of basses through the years that rested new in their cases under the bed until I finally sold them. Of course I wish I had them back now, but in the past few years I've acquired a couple more. One is a Peavey 5 string that I bought for $75, and one of those 4 string Dean active basses that were on clearance a while back. Both basses are nice, but I like the Dean's sound with the active Bartolini's best.

Been eyeing one of those Classic Vibe Jazz basses too. Although I've played lead guitar all my life, bass playing is very satisfying. Also, I believe over the years I could have made a good bit more money as a bass player.

• Members

What do you think about the Portaflex rig? I'm considering this one.

+1.

My Behringer combo has served it's purpose, but I'm ready to move up in the world a little. Still moonlighting, so I can't realistically get a full stack (yet).

Archived