Listening to the new Van Halen album....

EdgarSatriani

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You kidding? The tone on that album alone should make it required listening for every young rocker. Judgment Day? Heavy as all hell. I love that album. It was Balance that threw me off the horse. And maybe the double live album.

Right... F.U.C.K is a badass album.... maybe my fav VH? As I feel EVH and Hagar were on top of their game in 91/92..... Balance has a few highlights .....Don't Tell Me What Love Can Do is fantastic......... but before I look like I am getting ready to give Hagar a reacharound..... let me concur that VH1 and 1984 are also both masterpieces in rock albums...... like I keep saying.... there have been some phenomenal music produced from all era's of VH...... and here we are 28 years after the last Roth album..... the album actually doesn't suck...... A 55 year old Eddie, after all he's been through..... still has the chops to make any M.I.T wannabe put all his gear on Craigslist in frustration..... and yet people are still bitching.

• Members

Right, Sammy did spend over a decade (1/6th of his life) as the front man of that group..... so there will be some hurt feelings.

Sammy Hagar is a hell of a singer, anyone who doubts that or argues that may want to find a new hobby.

The difference is, Sammy Hagar was
a
singer for Van Halen. David Lee Roth was
thee
singer for Van Halen.

David was with the brothers when they were nobody..... he was there when it was all starting..... when they were sleeping in places that you or I wouldn't want to piss in. Sammy Hagar can sing, Gary Cherone can sing (and please before you dispute this, please ask yourself if you have ever played with a better singer than either of these guys....chances are, you haven't)...... but there will always be a special connection, and a music identification of the guitar of Eddie Van Halen, paired with the voice of David Lee Roth.

Never forget......(I hope you are reading this Axl)...... the band always gets back together.

"Dave was there when they were sleeping in places you and I wouldn't want to piss in?" OK, I love Van Halen about as much as anyone and I really don't have much use for the Van Hagar era, but you don't know the Van Halen story with that statement. Those guys didn't even move out of the house until after they had made it big. Dave's father was a doctor. These guys were never living hand to mouth.

• Members

"Dave was there when they were sleeping in places you and I wouldn't want to piss in?" OK, I love Van Halen about as much as anyone and I really don't have much use for the Van Hagar era, but you don't know the Van Halen story with that statement. Those guys didn't even move out of the house until after they had made it big. Dave's father was a doctor. These guys were never living hand to mouth.

Roth has an uncle, Dave, who is a neurosurgeon; an uncle, Marty, who is an orthopedic surgeon; and a grandfather who was a surgeon.....Dave's father was a eye surgeon..... this is true.....Roth came from money.

BUT.... Roth was alone in L.A. in 1974, singing in some cheezeball band that the Van Halen brothers used to rent their PA from...eventually the brothers decided that if they could woo Roth to be their singer in the band then known as "mammoth"..... they would no longer have to pay to use the PA...... essentially Roth became the lead singer of VH not because of his voice, but because he owned a 100 watt SUNN p.a. that by his own admission he bought for $20 at a garage sale in L.A....probably the best $20 he ever spent.....

And none of us have any idea what the band went through in the early days...... took them from 1974 to 1978 to get a deal...... in those 4 years...... we both know it wasn't always freshly cooked steaks, and plush hotels..... in the start up years...it never is.

Nor were Roth's financially well off uncle, daddy or grandpa sending him money to support his weed habit....at the time they thought he was a lazy bum that should get off dope, and find a real job.

• Members

Roth has an uncle, Dave, who is a neurosurgeon; an uncle, Marty, who is an orthopedic surgeon; and a grandfather who was a surgeon.....Dave's father was a eye surgeon..... this is true.....Roth came from money.

BUT.... Roth was alone in L.A. in 1974, singing in some cheezeball band that the Van Halen brothers used to rent their PA from...eventually the brothers decided that if they could woo Roth to be their singer in the band then known as "mammoth"..... they would no longer have to pay to use the PA...... essentially Roth became the lead singer of VH not because of his voice, but because he owned a 100 watt SUNN p.a. that by his own admission he bought for $20 at a garage sale in L.A....probably the best $20 he ever spent.....

And none of us have any idea what the band went through in the early days...... took them from 1974 to 1978 to get a deal...... in those 4 years...... we both know it wasn't always freshly cooked steaks, and plush hotels..... in the start up years...it never is.

Nor were Roth's financially well off uncle, daddy or grandpa sending him money to support his weed habit....at the time they thought he was a lazy bum that should get off dope, and find a real job.

"Sending him money?" It couldn't have been a long trip, the band used to rehearse in the Dr. Roth's basement. The Van Halen brothers didn't come from money, but none of them were poor. The early days were spent playing parties, the clubs and the like. They played a gig and went back home to their parent's houses. Go back and read the interviews, these guys never claimed poverty, weren't living on the streets and even after touring behind the second album, Eddie said he still lived in his parent's house.

• Members

The first rule of david lee roth in van halen is that you don't TALK ABOUT david lee roth in van halen.

That's why he fit. He's just enough of a showman and character to keep you interested in between Eddie doing that thing Eddie does. Sammy was a better singer, yes. But in the Sammy years, Eddie started paying attention to song-crafting and doing less of that thing Eddie does. And fans resented Hagar for it. In the Roth era, no-one talked about the vocals at all. Just the hooks and guitars.

Older dudes get it, that Hagar was already Hagar. He'll always BE Hagar. He was rich before VH. He's richer than any of them now. He wore red and black pleather, hawks his own tequila, and lives a life Jimmy Buffet envies.

Roth SELLS you the life, while Sammy is actually the one living it. Hagar era was very different than classic, but it was a super-group at the time. They're both great. Although with his criticisms of VH in the press lately, I bet Sammy is eating some of his own words right now. This album smoooshes any and all Chickenfoot that I've heard. I bet Satriani is rockin it on his ipod as-we-speak.

• Members

The first rule of david lee roth in van halen is that you don't TALK ABOUT david lee roth in van halen.

That's why he fit. He's just enough of a showman and character to keep you interested in between Eddie doing that thing Eddie does. Sammy was a better singer, yes. But in the Sammy years, Eddie started paying attention to song-crafting and doing less of that thing Eddie does. And fans resented Hagar for it. In the Roth era, no-one talked about the vocals at all. Just the hooks and guitars.

Older dudes get it, that Hagar was already Hagar. He'll always BE Hagar. He was rich before VH. He's richer than any of them now. He wore red and black pleather, hawks his own tequila, and lives a life Jimmy Buffet envies.

Roth SELLS you the life, while Sammy is actually the one living it. Hagar era was very different than classic, but it was a super-group at the time. They're both great. Although with his criticisms of VH in the press lately, I bet Sammy is eating some of his own words right now. This album smoooshes any and all Chickenfoot that I've heard.
I bet Satriani is rockin it on his ipod as-we-speak

haha so true

• Members

Roth SELLS you the life, while Sammy is actually the one living it. Hagar era was very different than classic, but it was a super-group at the time. They're both great. Although with his criticisms of VH in the press lately, I bet Sammy is eating some of his own words right now. This album smoooshes any and all Chickenfoot that I've heard. I bet Satriani is rockin it on his ipod as-we-speak.

That is so true, this album really does "smoosh" anything Chickenfoot has done, despite whatever BS Sammy has said comparing the 2 bands. Sorry Sammy, Van Halen wins.

• Members

I love how we keep hearing about how these are reworked demo songs. As if 1 thats a bad thing, and 2 its not common knowledge.

"According to Michael Anthony the new Van Halen is old songs!"

Thats all MA and Hagar have to trash VH with its pretty pathetic.

Being that most of the album is based off the old demo's, is mike anthony getting royalties for the songs he wrote way back in the day?

• Members

Being that most of the album is based off the old demo's, is mike anthony getting royalties for the songs he wrote way back in the day?

Nearly half the album is new stuff so when those guys (or anyone else) bitch about that they are exaggerating.

And no he doesn't get a dime. The brothers bought his stake out years ago then just hired him back as an employee. I'm sure he got pretty rich on the buy out but he may be kicking himself a bit now.

• Members

You kidding? The tone on that album alone should make it required listening for every young rocker. Judgment Day? Heavy as all hell. I love that album. It was Balance that threw me off the horse. And maybe the double live album.

Judgement Day is the best riff ever, but the vocals kinda ruined it for me a bit.

• Members

I listened to it in its entirety a little while ago. I went into it not expecting too much considering everything I had read. But, I was pleasantly surprised. DLR was never the greatest vocally but the man was pure entertainment back in the day. If you ever had the opportunity to attend a VH show back in the Dave era then you know what I am talking about. He would have the audience in his hand from the moment they started. If you grew up from the late 70s-the mid 80s he was the ultimate rock star. Personally, he didnt let me down at all on this album. None of them did. Eddie is ripping, Dave is being Dave in a good way, not a Vegas kind of way. Alex has always been Alex, and Wolfie is ripping it up right along with the old man. I like MA's tone better, personally. But all in all a very good effort I would say.

• Members

Regarding F.U.C.K., over the years I bet I've tried 100 times to get into that cd. Other than "Poundcake", it never did anything for me. Oddly enough, the only Van Hagar cd I ever liked is the much maligned OU812. Go figure.

Joe,Poundcake rocks....as for the rest of the album.... the non-singles are what shine....Spanked,Judgement Day...etc......those were as heavy as anything VH ever put out.

• Members

I just got it yesterday and i really like it. Eddie's tone and playing are awesome....he fukin shreds on the album...great rhythms too...reminds me alot of old VH....som of the songs are pretty heavy, awesome!!...and I gotta give props to Wolfgang too, hes in the pocket man, some great playing....Dave sounds like Dave...its all good....the album gets better as it goes on, ill be checking them out on the tour when they come to NY....

• Members

i've had a few listens to it and it's good and ok. Eddie is Eddie, still got what made him the king but there's nothing new there anymore, you can almost predict his next note as he's playing the last one. The main issue i have with the album is it's screaming out for some hooky chorus's, but DLR just kinda mumbles his stuff over them all. It's almost like white man rap, it's not talking, not really singing.

• Members

That is classic Dave

In fact, I'll just out and say it to all the naysayers - I think that this album is some of the best singing that David Lee Roth has done in his career, both VH and solo. He definitely gets his share of shining moments. There's a lot of soulful lines and controlled vibrato that was NEVER a part of his style. He's clearly improved. A lot of people are hung up on his one trick from the 70's being gone (those high inhaled screeches and whoops) and are failing to notice he's learned a whole bunch of other new tricks.

Biggest win?

"Told you I was coming back. Say you missed me. Say it like you mean it!" from Blood and Thunder.

• Members

so its generational wealth they are worried about. Just like every other rich person they want to make sure generations and generations of Anthony's will be wealthy. Yeah, thats reall cool. Way to go 1/2 of Chickenfoot.

Archived