echo vs delay

awd83

• Members

tomato tomato.....

For the purposes of discussion in guitar effects, sort of.

An echo is a reflection of a sound wave that reaches the ear later than the un-reflected sound wave. Delay is an electronic repeat of the original sound wave that may be pristine, dirty, modulated, etc.

D

• Members

thanks for the replies.

Does anyone have any experience with the Dano FAB delay? It has up to 600 ms of delay, but it's nearly 2x's as expensive as the FAB echo.

In this case the Fab Echo is a slapback delay (think '50's rockabilly) wih a preset, non-adjustable delay time (I don't see how long, but slapback is usally ~100ms) You can adjust the wet/dry mix and the number of repeats, but not how long the sound is delayed.

The Fab Delay, on the other hand is fully adjustable up to 600ms. I believe they are the exact same pedal except for the added delay time pot. Many people were adding a 100k pot to the Echo to make it adjustable, Dano just put out an official version.

The difference in price is what? $15 vs $24? All that stands between them is the price of a Big Mac combo meal.

• Members

In this case the Fab Echo is a slapback delay (think '50's rockabilly) wih a preset, non-adjustable delay time (I don't see how long, but slapback is usally ~100ms) You can adjust the wet/dry mix and the number of repeats, but not how long the sound is delayed.

The Fab Delay, on the other hand is fully adjustable up to 600ms. I believe they are the exact same pedal except for the added delay time pot. Many people were adding a 100k pot to the Echo to make it adjustable, Dano just put out an official version.

The difference in price is what? $15 vs $24? All that stands between them is the price of a Big Mac combo meal.

Yeah, the Dano Echo is pure slapback.

Basically if you want a slightly echo in lieu of reverb, get the Echo. Never used the Dano Delay though. You realize these are very cheap effects. There's like a 1 in 20 chance you'll get it and use it for more than a couple months. I mean, not {censored} on it, but they aren't known for long term use.

• Members

Yeah, the Dano Echo is pure slapback.

Basically if you want a slightly echo in lieu of reverb, get the Echo. Never used the Dano Delay though. You realize these are very cheap effects. There's like a 1 in 20 chance you'll get it and use it for more than a couple months. I mean, not {censored} on it, but they aren't known for long term use.

I'm a bedroom player at best, even the cheapest should last me a lifetime. I wouldn't even be looking at them if they weren't extremely cheap. I've been eyeing ebay for the last couple of weeks, and I swear, effects pedals are expensive, with many costing more than some of my guitars. But, I have heard pretty good things about the FAB series, as far as bang for your buck. It's either these, or Behringer (covers head with arms and runs....)

• Members

I'd recommend getting a good delay, like the Boss DD7: relatively simple to use but has a lot of versatility. They may seem a little spendy but delay is one of the most inspiring and challenging effects to work with. Inspiring because even the most mundane chord progressions get a serious kick in the ass when you add delay, challenging because every mistake you make is repeated again and again and again . . .

• Members

I'm a bedroom player at best, even the cheapest should last me a lifetime. I wouldn't even be looking at them if they weren't extremely cheap. I've been eyeing ebay for the last couple of weeks, and I swear, effects pedals are expensive, with many costing more than some of my guitars. But, I have heard pretty good things about the FAB series, as far as bang for your buck. It's either these, or Behringer (covers head with arms and runs....)

Hrmm... in that case, it might last three or four months then. :lol:

• Members

I wouldn't worry too much about the durability of the FAB series. I've got the FAB overdrive and the FAB echo and I've been using them (yes gigging them) for probably 6 years now, maybe more. The flip side of that is that I also had the FAB distortion and it completely puked out after a year or so. Your mileage will, most assuredly, vary. Both the echo and the overdrive are very good sounding pedals. I have more expensive overdrives but the FAB has a sound that I really like. The FAB echo is the only echo I've ever used so I can't compare it to anything else. I will say that if what you are looking for is that 50s slap-back sound the FAB echo has it in spades.

• Members

Echo = repeating (like an echo in a valley, where you yell "HELLO!" and you hear it repeat several times).

Delay = the original signal or sound is delayed, then sent a predetermined length of time later, like adding a delay to a speaker system to time align the signal with other non-delayed sounds that have to travel acoustically to the same point where the speakers are located. Or, if that's too much to digest, a delay can be just the same as an echo, especially to a guitarist. Many people equate an "echo" to a short delay, and equate a "delay" to a longer delay. :D

• Members

You'll get much more versatility with a delay pedal. The Fab echo is a definite one trick pony but what do want for $15? It does a halfway decent slapback and that's it......You can get that and more from a delay pedal. A waste of $15. The Fab chorus is pretty good though.

Archived