Ronnie Montrose died. NOT A JOKE.

AVisme

• Members

A very sad day. First Davy Jones now Ronnie Montrose

I grew up in the Bay Area and the Montrose album was HUGE at my high school. The album came out in 1973 and I was a junior.

I never saw them live and I never saw Montrose solo either. I always regretted not seeing Sammy Hagar at the Concord Pavillion when he brought the original Montrose band out for encores.

Rock The Nation in the sky, I'll miss Ronnie Montrose.

• Members

should tell you all you need to know.

my response was more of a perhaps low-taste way of responding to the "YES, SERIOUSLY, NOT A JOKE" aspect of it that would lean one to believe it's a famous person, when I personally have never heard of him.

yes, low taste. I probably shoulda just stayed out of it. RIP.

• Members

"Open Fire" rivaled Beck's "Blow by Blow" for best guitar instrumental album of the 70s, in my view. His version of
Town Without Pity
has always been a favorite.

Ronnie-Montrose---Open-Fire-1978-Front-C

killer. and of course the first Montrose album is...well...it might even be better than sleigh bells...despite its being blues based and all

• Members

That's a damn shame. I'd never seen Ronnie live, and had been checking his tour schedule on occasion the last couple of years when I remembered to (once just a month or so after he'd come through a local blues club). Sorry I didn't get the chance.

Of course that first Montrose LP was phenomenal, but this slow moody song with a tasty lead break in the middle -- which got some FM airplay when it was new in the early 80s but is not well remembered today -- is maybe my favorite of his.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cKsy4SALjk

• Members

).

RIP Ronnie

Most cancers will do that if left long enough. They spread into the lymphatic system and other systems. Then they affect other tissue around the body. The longer it is untreated, the more likely that is and the harder to control.

Early detection, guys.

Archived