My amp was way to LOUD!!!!

caveman

• Members

I think he means his amp was
too
loud.

$15 etymotic ear plugs - best money I ever spent.

Saw that but once you hit post it's a done deal.

$15 to be able to hear clearly when your an old man is a great deal indeed!

• Members

And now the crickets in my head never sleep. Should've used protection but back then nobody knew. These days there's no excuse except stupid.
:cop:

There is one excuse: when you stand in the middle of it all with the world exploding around you, you feel like a god.

• Members

I took a year off and played jazz/acoustic gigs after severe hearing loss in my right ear after jamming with some legends for a six hour gig (one of the highlights of my life). It was scary. But I missed playing rock guitar too much. Now I keep Winchester foams on me. Good enough for the range, good enough for the stage.

• Members

I'm just saying, it's a trade-off. Would you choose to only see in black and white if it meant you'd never lose your eyesight?

Yes, playing loud is fun. Do it too often, and it's dangerous. Seeing in color won't make you go blind. Maybe a better analogy would be playing too loud is kind of like staring directly at the sun.

• Members

I'm just saying, it's a trade-off. Would you choose to only see in black and white if it meant you'd never lose your eyesight?

Giving up doing what you love early in life due to causing yourself permanent hearing damage? What the {censored} trade off is that?

You can get that feeling without even using an amp. Try writing music that fulfills you, and put in some earplugs.

I used to talk just like you. Now I have terrible hearing damage. I regret my bullheadedness and arrogance, and wish I could get a time machine to force myself to wear earplugs. Instead, I can only hope to pass the advice on to you, where you'll ignore me just like I ignored anyone who warned me.

Such is life.

• Members

Most of the time my policy has been earplugs for when others play, none when I am on.

I used to mix the metalz bandz with them, just pull one out for a few seconds to check if it's ok.

It makes a difference. I am old but i can still hear pretty good.

• Members

i don't have crickets but my hearing's pretty bad. It's probably due to Rock n Roll, but my Dad had lousy hearing when he got older too, so who knows? Maybe it's hereditary like my cholesterol(!). I used them a couple of times when I went to see my son's ULTRA Heavy Band a few years back. Sounded like a blanket was covering the frequencies. Are they better these days? Earplugs definitely save your ears but I never thought stuff sounded right with plugs. Standing too close to drummer's cymbals definitely could be harmful as well.

• Members

i got those same crickets... most bothersome when its quiet. I pretty much have to leave the tv or radio on to get to sleep nowadays.

I've a little Radio Shack device that does a fair imitation of the sound of rain. It's on pretty much every night.

• Members

Giving up doing what you love early in life due to causing yourself permanent hearing damage? What the {censored} trade off is that?

You can get that feeling without even using an amp. Try writing music that fulfills you, and put in some earplugs.

I used to talk just like you. Now I have terrible hearing damage. I regret my bullheadedness and arrogance, and wish I could get a time machine to force myself to wear earplugs. Instead, I can only hope to pass the advice on to you, where you'll ignore me just like I ignored anyone who warned me.

Such is life.

I'm not ignoring anybody. I'm just arguing that moderation isn't always the answer.

Archived