Fender MIM standard versus Squier Classic Vibe

dunning-kruger

• Members

I got my 09 MIM standard for $299 on a "Fender Friday" deal, so it was CHEAPER than a CV. After swapping the PUs, I'm good to go. And I, for one, have never found a CV that feels good to me -- again, neck issues, and that's enough to dissuade me from getting one. Too bad, 'cause I think the CV Duo-sonic is just about the cutest damn thing ever...

• Members

Just out of curiosity how many people that don't like the classic vibe ever even picked one up.

I've played the white CV 50's Tele, along with the Custom. And I actually bought a CV 60's Strat from one of the Spam threads here ... which I flipped about a month later.

• Members

Had another durn thought. Take a buddy with you to guitar store. Do a blindfold test of different strats (I have a 50's CV strat, btw). I think the cv would hold it's own.

Hmmm surgical gloves so be harder to tell if glossy neck? but that would be semi-defeating

Or maybe have friend play different strats as you listen blindfolded?

Must be some way to overcome the prejudice and just see they are damn fine guitars regardless of decal or price....

• Members

It's a matter of preference. They don't feel like a MIM or MIA, they feel like a CV. I'm not sure I've ever held a guitar that had the same feel to it at all. Either you love it or hate it apparently. The necks are a bit smaller, which I LOVE.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

As many have said already, MIM wins in the neck (and then for me, playability) category, but the CV wins in the sound category.

i just came back from guitar center and i got to say, i much enjoyed the neck on the classic vibes compared to the MIM standards i played.

none of them seemed worth what they where asking for (440$), the squier neck, body, pickups set up was actually better in some cases.

I hate to say it being such an outspoken Squier MIC hatter in the past but this isnt just good guitar and good quality, its just a superb instrument.

I played a 60's tele and a red 50s strat....... the strats where really awseom, good sound all round and especially in the middle position pups 2 and 4. just could let the sucker down.

but the tele..... i just cant describe...... it had it all.

needless to say i dont see my self getting a MIM standard anytime soon, in comparison the MIM's neck seemed cheap and subpar in some cases.

• Members

Got three Asian Squiers. Two MIC Affinity Strats and one MIK Bullet. They've all been fitted with new pups, and honestly... I haven't a bad word to say about them. The two Strat necks aren't practically made of poly (but the Bullet neck is :lol:) and with decent Wilkinson pups, I'd say they're pretty decent guitars for what I spent on them. All the necks feel great and they're pretty solidly built. Wouldn't dream of selling them.

Photo013.jpg

DSC00159.jpg

With that said... If I had the cash, I would probably buy an MIM too.

Edit: Though the sunburst is in dire need of a refret. Played that one to death :lol:

• Members

Wow, i really think its gotten to the point where the squier i must say, is in feel and comparison on paper the better instrument.

We have MIM standards coming out of the Ensenada plant like flap jacks with 5-7 pieces of wood and veneered tops out fitted with what dosent seem to be any better pickups than my MIK squier.

And we have Squier Classic Vibes, from what i can see from my own eyes playing them and admiring the craftsmanship that there about what seems to look like 3 pieces on the telecasters and no veneer top and from what i hear there also 3-4 pieces on the strats with no veneer. The electronics sound better than what i had on my squier or any other ive played
:idk:

so on paper they pretty much outclassed the MIMs , one piece necks, tinted and glossed. Damn good electronics, and less pieces of wood.

I know i was against MIC Fenders.

But between Squier Classic Vibes and MIM standards, to me the choice is clear.

Mexico dosent hold a candle anymore to these CV squiers unless your talking about buying a higher end mexican guitar like a classic player or a RI. And the money is pretty steep for those kinds of Mexicans. I know i was against MIC fender cause of value added and the raping there giving us cost wise given the cheap labor at there resource. But i just dont care you cant complain with quality!

If Squier Classic Vibes are this good when compared to fender MIM standards and just running circles around them , i cant complain with Fender MIC.

Anyone else think the classic Vibes are pretty much better than MIM standards now?

Exactly my sentiments. I was fooled into buying the MIM Strat and was really dissapointed, no better sounding than my first guitar, a MII Squier and actually had a worse neck. I should of went with the CV. The MIM soured me towards SC's.

• Members

As a current owner of a '11 MIM Std with rosewood board (felt better than the maple), and a past owner of a 50's CV Strat, I gotta say to me there is no comparision. My MIM may be a fluke, but is is my favorite guitar that I have ever owned and I have owned a lot of different guitars over the years. It just feels right.

However, I will say that the CV guitars are great especially for the money. But as the consensus seems to be, the neck never felt right. Plus I always thought the whole guitar felt a hair toy-like. Hard to explain. Sounded pretty good though even in stock form. But my MIM, even with ceramic PU's, sounds more vintage strat-like.

• Members

As a current owner of a '11 MIM Std with rosewood board (felt better than the maple), and a past owner of a 50's CV Strat, I gotta say to me there is no comparision. My MIM may be a fluke, but is is my favorite guitar that I have ever owned and I have owned a lot of different guitars over the years. It just feels right.

However, I will say that the CV guitars are great especially for the money. But as the consensus seems to be, the neck never felt right. Plus I always thought the whole guitar felt a hair toy-like. Hard to explain. Sounded pretty good though even in stock form. But my MIM, even with ceramic PU's, sounds more vintage strat-like.

I feel exactly the same, except, I kinda wanna put my cv neck on my MIM and see how it feels. I love the shape of the CV necksbetterthan anything. But you nailed the toy feeling.

disclaimer I owned 2 cv's, probably will get another some day

• Members

MIM all the way, never saw a decent squier

That's a shame - I've been looking at Squiers on and off since 1992. All of them built to a price point, but consistently good guitars for the money. If anything, the Squier range are closer to Leo's design intent than anything that has ever come out of the higher end of the Fender range, especially the custom shop. Bear in mind that Leo wanted to build a usable, workhorse guitar that was affordable to musicians and easily repaired. A decent Squier does all that at a very low price point, all things considered. Pity you've had bad experiences... I'm not saying for a minute every one I tried was perfect, but I have long been impressed by what Squier can do for the money, with good consistency. (Especially the basses, though alas again lefties are limited there. Fingers crossed they do a] a left f the existing CV 50s P Bass, and B a 57-type in the same... I'd have thought there would be more of a market for that than for the VM J Bass with the very 70s vibe, but I'm sure fender know better than I do!).

Archived