Right handed pickups in a left handed guitar?

Elessar [Sly]

• Members

I hate how when I go to the guitar store they never seem to have any lefty strings. And the guy at the counter never knows what I'm talking about. It's like everyone that works at guitar stores is retarded or something.

• Members

It seems quite a few poster missed that single coils can be staggered.... This was standard on Strats until some time in, if memory serves, late 74 - September, I think. The staggering was by design to ensure that all strings of differing thicknesses were picked up equally. I've seen it claimed that the fact Jimi's Strats had the strings the other way up over the staggered polepieces contributed to his "unique tone" (in the same way that his strings were a different length between the nut and the post, the high E being the shortest, low E the longest, and his bridge pup was angled the other way). Personally I'm not convinced it makes any audible difference, but enough folks are for GFS to have produced a Hendrix-themed set of staggered Strat pups which, installed in a right handed Strat, give that upside-down staggering. I like staggered poles myself purely for the visual impact.

• Members

Well this is the thing... I have staggered pickups on a couple of my guitars that I have had changed, this is why I was initially unsure. But people seem to be too ready to get in a cheeky comment, which I don't mind it is a forum and people MUST have their opions heard whether helpful or otherwise ;)

• Members

Well this is the thing... I have staggered pickups on a couple of my guitars that I have had changed, this is why I was initially unsure. But people seem to be too ready to get in a cheeky comment, which I don't mind it is a forum and people MUST have their opions heard whether helpful or otherwise
;)

Interesting. Have you tried turning single coils around?

• Members

It seems quite a few poster missed that single coils can be staggered.... This was standard on Strats until some time in, if memory serves, late 74 - September, I think. The staggering was by design to ensure that all strings of differing thicknesses were picked up equally. I've seen it claimed that the fact Jimi's Strats had the strings the other way up over the staggered polepieces contributed to his "unique tone" (in the same way that his strings were a different length between the nut and the post, the high E being the shortest, low E the longest, and his bridge pup was angled the other way). Personally I'm not convinced it makes any audible difference, but enough folks are for GFS to have produced a Hendrix-themed set of staggered Strat pups which, installed in a right handed Strat, give that upside-down staggering. I like staggered poles myself purely for the visual impact.

I was aware of this, but it wasn't funny. :idk:

• Members

Interesting. Have you tried turning single coils around?

Only works if you have an unflanged Strat pickup, like a Seymour Duncan single-sized humbucker or a Lace or an EMG... except Lace and EMGs are usually unstaggered and having an upside down Seymour Duncan logo is terrifying.

• Members

All the notes would be backwards. Like if you played an E, it would come out an ?. Luckily, A would still be A.

Get the Russian version. Problem solved.

To the OP: Using a right handed version of a staggered pickup will result in a little less out of the A string and a little more out of the B string. I'd recommend finding a lefty version or going with a non-staggered pickup.

• 8 years later...
  • Members

the pickups need not be flush in the pickguard.  I would install a staggered lefty set into my Strat just for a lark, and play around with the height adjustment if i felt it sounded crappy ( raise the pickup a bit at the skinny E, and lower it a bit at the thick E...).  I got quite a few vintage Japanese Strats that each could use an electronics upgrade...Emerson kit and an Abby set..near perfection!

Archived