Brian May guitars?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

They any good?

I like Brian May and Queen, but I'm not a fan boi.

I just really dig that guitar. The look, the shape, the switching......:love:

There are the BMG, Burns, Guild, etc.....

The Burns and BMG versions seem most available......but don't have the same bridge.

Anyone have one, played one, tried one.

• Members

I own a BMG and have tried most of the others they are nice guitars. The trem on all except the real copies of the May guitar get in the way of the Switches and Volume & tone controls but you can work around that. All the ones I've tried with the Burns pickups can get all the sounds that May uses. It's a very versatile guitar. Necks are hunky and are set at a very slight (almost flush to the body) angle.

• Members

I own a BMG and have tried most of the others they are nice guitars. The trem on all except the real copies of the May guitar get in the way of the Switches and Volume & tone controls but you can work around that. All the ones I've tried with the Burns pickups can get all the sounds that May uses. It's a very versatile guitar. Necks are hunky and are set at a very slight (almost flush to the body) angle.

• Members

Waiting for the resident authority, ashasha, to chime in ;). In the meantime, I had one briefly, but sent it back, as the zero fret developed a groove that the sixth string (or was it the fifth) quickly developed a groove that the string would catch and give a very audible "ping" noise when bending the string. Very distracting and not too pleasant sounding. I was thinking about replacing the fret, but decided to send it back. The aforementioned ashasha had the same issue, but he went and replaced it with a SS fret.

Otherwise, the guitar was fantastic - chunky, short (24") neck, nice fretwork, and the tones were great. I may still pick one up down the road :).

• Members

you guys aren't helping.
:o
GAS
:eek:

I always liked that guitar, but I didn't know it had a zero fret. Now that I know it has a zero fret, I'm on the verge of buying one. In fact, I now have one in my MusiciansFriend cart with the promo code applied. Must resist.

• Members

I'd like to get one. Big Brian May fan, big fan of interesting electronics, and it looks cool.

Someday....

Has anyone ever seen one in use out in the wild? Like gone to a bar or something where a band was playing and someone was using it?

I'd go after this one :love:

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_512637.002_white_close_a

• Members

Have you ever played a guitar with that short of a scale? It is a 23 1/2" scale. I find them very hard to play.

I dig the short scale Mustang bass but not the Mustang guitar. Check them out first.

Surfy

MF says the guitar is 24 even, at least for the BMG version. I've played a 24 inch LP Junior before, and I couldn't tell a difference. I'm a Gibson guy though, I bet if you're way into Fender's it might feel pretty cramped.

• Members

Kind of strange that he never plays his own brand of guitar on stage- not even for a couple of tunes.

Not really.

He played a hand made masterpiece (the original red special) for 30+ years

Now he has Super Red Specials Made which are $4,500.00 guitars that are pretty much exact spec down to the tremolo.

These $799.00 Brian May/Burns collaborations are simply there to put a "similar" guitar in the hands of a average working person, with average income. It should come as no surprise that the guitarist of arguably one of rock musics top 5 bands of all time chooses not to play a $700 guitar.

It's no different than Eric Clapton having a "Artist Series" Fender Strat that has a current MSRP of : $2199 and can be bought at AMS or Musicians Friend for $1599.00..... but again, Clapton, also one of the top known guitarists world wide chooses not to use that production model, and instead, plays the Custom Shop version with a $4,900 msrp, and a $3,920.00 price tag everywhere.

• Members

The BM model is a great guitar and very well made but when I had mine the tremolo bothered me that it wasn't close to the original so... It led me to get a replica that is freaking awesome! I added my own flavor to the guitar like neck binding and a maple top. I like Queen but I wasn't trying to go for the BM sound so much as I love the body style and look of the Red Special.

DSCF7848.jpg

DSC00310.jpg

• Members

Cool guitars. I personally like the shorter scale because it really does lend itself to bending very easily. Upper fret access is just plain ridiculous. The pickups are probably the most important part of the guitar's sound and in my opinion with a good Vox and a treble booster it will get you in Brian May territory easily. Its also got a lot of other pretty usable tones even though the out of phase settings are really only good for stuff like the lead to Bohemian Rhapsody, it's pretty shrill.

The tremolo isn't exactly like the real deal, but it's a good Wilkinson model and its stays in tune surprisingly well. The neck is pretty chunky, but it's extremely comfy to me. Pretty close to a 50's style LP to me. Its very light and the ebony fretboard plays great. The tuners are locking so that probably helps with the tuning stability. I hate the zero fret thing. I realize that it is true to the original, but like cbh5150 said I had to replace mine with a SS one. I got lucky that it fit and I didn't have try to file the damn thing down for the right height.

I wouldn't pay the $1000 they list for, but for $799 its a very cool guitar and I like having variety in my collection. Rather than have 5 strats or something I like having a mix of stuff that does all kinds of different stuff and this is one that fills it's own unique little spot.

Archived