Nobody Cares about your guitar playing.

DaveAronow

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you are rolfing, then you are eadily amused.

You are a musician and most likely a guitarist. YOU knowing all the names of the members in the bands you like is expected. It is the masses that make those bands tich that dont know the guitarists name from the truck driver. Not to mention people that dont listen to those bands have never even HEARD of the bands, much less the guitar player.

Noone in any of those bands is a rock star, An instantly recognisable household name.

I would like to see some proof the youth are dumber and don't say dubstep.

• Members

Jimmy Page, sure. SRV, Steve Vai, etc, not so much.

I would argue that SRV did make some great music that reached beyond the guitar player audience, and 99% of the non-guitarist public never heard of Steve Vai.

• Members

SRV did do some catchy songs, but they're all really just vehicles for his guitar work. He was one of my biggest influences and I did go see him live when he was with us, but I've never heard a non-guitarist talk about him or want to see him live. I also enjoy Steve Vai, because I'm a GUITARIST. That doesn't make him a rock star, just a guitar God.

• Members
Our views of the universe are on different planes.

I doubt it - more like I'm talking about what the OP is. I'd rather listen to SRV and Vai, but Page was more of a rockstar. I'm not even a Led Zepplin fan, but I know lots of non-musicians that love them.

• Members

SRV did do
some
catchy songs, but they're all really just vehicles for his guitar work. He was one of my biggest influences and I did go see him live when he was with us, but I've never heard a non-guitarist talk about him or want to see him live. I also enjoy Steve Vai, because I'm a GUITARIST. That doesn't make him a rock star, just a guitar God.

No, id say Stevie is pretty up tgere as far as being well known.

my band does ovet 1000 Songs in regular rotation includind all kinds of different genras and eras which enables us to book alot of different types of musical situations.

Stevie Ray Vaughn is an almost certain request we get pretty much at any type of gig we happen to be playing. It is not always musicians requesting it either, and male, female, non musicians alike flood tge dance floor as soon as they hear the opening riff intro to Pride and Joy.

If SRV is not a house hold name, then he is about as close as you can get without being one.

I dont say this with bias. Im not a fan, dont dislike him ir anything but I would never go out of my way to spin one of his records.

But he is not relevent to this discussion other than to compare todays guitarists to him.

if he came out today, he may find a slot in a band somewhere but he would have none of tge commercial fame, or success he enjoyed when he was doing his thing.

Also, once again, it took him performing songs with vocals in which HE fronted and sang to make the masses aware of his name.

If he never sang a note, the only people that weould even kniw his name would be snooze musicians and snooze wannabes.

• Members

Good.....{censored} "rock stars" anyway. It's a stupid concept that creates a bull{censored} "class" structure in music where people who {censored} and stink like everyone else...are looked up to as if they don't.

Here is an easy way to ruin worship and idolization of any guitarist...(works well for hot "intimidating" women too)

Take said person...being Page, Beck, Gilmour, Satch...whomever....

Imagine them in the toilet taking a contorted painful watery explosive diarrhea {censored}, with the sweats dripping down their forehead....(cause I guarantee you they ALL have)

you're welcome.....

• Members

For years I was the lead guitarist in the groups I was in, throwing in an occasional lead vocal to help the main lead singer. I was a decent singer but no Paul McCartney or Robert Plant. I always got good response in regard to my guitar playing but eventually I was thrown into being the lead singer when our Singer quit abruptly. Whoa! Lots more attention, especially the ladies. Musicians maybe knew who C.C. DeVille was but I'll bet more people knew Bret Michaels. Except for the obvious exceptions, singers have always had more notoriety with the general public.

• Members

Yes Dave...but outside theguitar community do many people know who he is?

I believe so.

Not like Slash, or Hendrix or Evh, but I believe at least enough random Americans would at least recognise his name as a guitarist to put him in the category of famous for being a guitarist singer.

• Members

I think that the southern USA is definitely more guitar-oriented than anywhere that I've been. There's no way anyone around here would know who Joe Bonamassa is around here unless they're guitarists. They know who all of the rock stars are though. FWIW - I wish it was more like that, but it's not.

• Members

Maybe not with the type of music most people on this forum listen to, but the new age metal stuff has kids going nuts over the guitar. Mark Tremonti- people {censored}ing love that guy.

Maybe there aren't as many household names in the world of guitar anymore because there really hasnt been any game-changers in the public eye. mostly because hip hop, trance and all kinds of electronic music are all the rage. just wait, in a few years when those kids have candy-flipped one too many times that genre will die out and be replaced with something new.

bottom line: the guitar ain't goin anywhere

• Members

Maybe not with the type of music most people on this forum listen to, but the new age metal stuff has kids going nuts over the guitar. Mark Tremonti- people {censored}ing love that guy.

Mark Tremonti is not a rock star. He is not a household name.

Sure his fans like him.

Im talking ROCK STAR.

Joe Perry

Eddie Van Halen

Slash McGillicuddy

Jimmy Page

Jimmi Hendrix

Randy Rhodes

Angus Young

Brian May

David Gilmore

Mark Tremonti wouldnt even register on this scale.

There are no modern day guitarist rock stars.

• Members
Good point. To be more recognizable he'd have to do a bunch of commercial pop first like John Mayer did, then come out with his guitar hero stuff. I cant picture Bonnamassa as a sex symbol pop star tho lol.

I respect the guy for sticking to his guns. He's an amazing player. He's a guitar hero, but if he was doing in the 70's what he's doing now he'd be a big rock star.

• Members

Sure his fans like him.

Im talking ROCK STAR.

Joe Perry

Eddie Van Halen

Slash McGillicuddy

Jimmy Page

Jimmi Hendrix

Randy Rhodes

Angus Young

Brian May

David Gilmore

fair enough, but I think you could find quite a few people who dont know the majority of the people on your list, either.

I think it stems back to what I said before about hip hop and electronic music being all the rage. it's just another phase. for better or for worse, music evolves. Right now it happens to be evolving on computer screens instead of on stages.

One cool thing I have noticed in the years since internet distribution has become so easy is that there is mush more emphasis on the live show these days than there was in the days of the "legends."

Hear me out- now a days to have a band really impress, they need to kill it live. They are not going to make their money selling records anymore. They're making their money touring and putting on kick ass shows that people will pay to go to. A few years ago bands could more easily make money by just hopping into the studio once every 2 years or so, but now they won't make that money on record sales, so it will have to come from somewhere else - the live shows.

Granted, these live shows don't always involve guitar or "rock n' roll" as we would like it, but I, for one, am glad the live show is staring to mean something again.

• Members

Sure his fans like him.

Im talking ROCK STAR.

Joe Perry

Eddie Van Halen

Slash McGillicuddy

Jimmy Page

Jimmi Hendrix

Randy Rhodes

Angus Young

Brian May

David Gilmore

I was JUST thinking we should list them. Not that tough, so few.

On that list tho, I believe the only rock stars as described are..

Angus Young

Slash

Eddie Van Halen

I consider the others rock stars, but most people couldn't tell you who they were.

I love Jimi and SRV, but totally agree that they never would have been close to that level of fame, had they not been singers, good ones, even great(SRV), distinctive and recognizable. And tons of charisma,

Some SRV tunes that non guitarists love are..

Tightrope

Pride n joy

Look at little sister

Cold shot

• Members

Bonamassa is a nobody........NOBODY knows him.....just us guitar dorks....that's it. Has the guy even produced a gold record? doubt it. And yeah I know I know....'record sales don't mean some one is a great artist blah frickin blah'.....but this isn't about that now is it? This is about popularity....cause that's what being a "rock star" is....popularity.

There are only TWO modern guitarists....(in the last 20 years) who til this day continue to be anything CLOSE to household names......and they are...

John Mayer and Jack White.

That's it. And I bet more people DON'T know those two than DO know those two.

Archived