Nobody Cares about your guitar playing.

DaveAronow

• Members

Remember tge days when people paid attention to who the guitarists in the band were?

Hell, even dudes like CC Deville were close to household names.

Yeah? Well noone cares anymore.

Guitarists are just some dude in the band that plays a guitar.

Hope you didnt have hopes of being a famous guitaritst.

Aint going to happen.

Unless you are also the lead singer, but then, you still dont really even need the guitar.

The days of guitarists as rockstars are over.

Have a nice day.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My dream is to play guitar better than I do now.

But I sort of understand what the OP is saying. Really it is nothing too new. For many decades now the singers have gotten most of the attention. (I'm NOT saying good singers should not get attention.) Good instrumentalist have not really gotten the attention of the general public the way singers have. As a singer I appreciate those with good singing voices, but as a guitarist I also appreciate those who play guitar well...and I stand amazed at those who play and sing well at the same time.

• Members

The OP makes a valid point. Western popular culture just doesn't reserve the same awe for guitar-heroes that it did in the 60s-80s. Who has the same popularity today as Satriani or Yngwie did in the 80s? Or Page in the 70s? Or Clapton in the 60s? We're not talking chops here; there are plenty of fine technicians out there today (Townsend), but they don't permeate the music culture like the previous guitar-slingers did.

• Members

The OP makes a valid point. Western popular culture just doesn't reserve the same awe for guitar-heroes that it did in the 60s-80s. Who has the same popularity today as Satriani or Yngwie did in the 80s? Or Page in the 70s? Or Clapton in the 60s? We're not talking chops here; there are plenty of fine technicians out there today (Townsend), but they don't permeate the music culture like the previous guitar-slingers did.

I was reading something about this the other day - can't remember where, unfortunately - but it put forward the premise that the guitar solo is dead.

• Members

bradpaisleypng4.png

Good point, but I would argue that the vast majority of his fans aren't aware of the extent of his chops. And even for those among us who are aware of his abilities, how often do we see someone pop on to HC with something like "Can someone help me with this Paisley solo?"

Archived