OK, so Eric Johnson has impeccable technique.

honeyiscool

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for posting this. Unless he's switched up recently most of the effects in his signal chain are analog. Obviously it's a tone that works for him or else he wouldn't have used variations of it over the last 4 decades. Sounds fine to me. Never really heard complaints about his tone or flat out EJ hate/haters until I stated hanging out around here. :facepalm: SMDH......

• Members

Eric Johnson has always tended toward wet tones. When you take a super wet guitar tone out of a band mix, it can sound excessive. But, I think you have to judge Johnson's tone within a band mix to fully appreciate it. While he's not my favorite artist and I'm not a big fan of overly wet tones, I have to admit, he makes it work for him within a band context.

Anybody who's had some experience playing a live venue should know that it's tricky to get heard if your signal it too wet. The venue has it's own acoustic properties that adds layers of wetness to the guitar sound.

I've seen Johnson play live multiple times. While I'm not a big fan of Eric, nor his preferred level of tone wetness, I have to admit, he makes it work even in a large venue. He cuts through the band mix well and doesn't get lost in the acoustics properties of the venue. That's tricky to do using reverbs and multiple delays, yet he pulls it off.

The particular clip Honeyiscool posted didn't sound that great. One clip doesn't prove much. It may have been recorded poorly. Or, perhaps, the conversion process was executed poorly before posting this on YT. It's one clip.

• Members

Ooo luv EJ's tones...I always think of that quote about his lead tone 'sounds like a thousand pound violin'...so distinctive, maybe the best attribute you could want, you hear that sound, and you KNOW it's him. Another side that gets overlooked about his sound, is his AMAZING clean tones...I'm no expert in his setup, but I seem to remember him switching between Marshalls and a tube driver for crunch/lead sounds , and Fender..twins (?) for his cleans , with that ancient TC Electronics chorus pedal. Heavenly cleans...that song Manhattan is just so sweet for clean sounds...

The other thing, which really surprised me at the time, is his 70's recorded stuff, he was a total fusion guy. I thought I was listening to Al Dimeola!...then he sort of developed his solo sound, which never was a true rock based approach, it's like upper class sophisticated pop/rock/jazz brew with his own unique stamp of tone and virtuoso playing

• Members

Uh, everybody? That was one of the main marketing points in the mid-60s.

I have a mate and he is very knowledgeable and when someone doesn't know something and he does, he never makes it appear like it is something the other person should have known. It's a wonderful thing.

• Members

He's going to give up guitar and become a classical music super star?? Why would Honeyiscool do that? He HATES classical music, Yo Yo Ma AND Eric Johnson.

I was not really following this thread, but wait, what? I've played classical music all my life. My bassist and I warm up for shows by singing opera, dude.

I started guitar five years ago. I've been playing classical music for 21 years now, mostly piano but I had a short while on violin. Classical piano was going to be my career before I found out I had more useful skills for a day job, then eventually I wanted to be in a rock band and I hate the {censored}ing Doors so I didn't want to play keyboard in one, and I might go back to school and major in piano after all, since I wouldn't mind making it my career at this point in my life. I love classical and I respect Yo Yo Ma a lot.

And please, I do not have Eric Johnson's haircut. I have Paul McCartney's haircut. Big difference.

• Members

He keeps talking about tone in this video and I hear like three different tones, maybe, and they all rate from bad to worse.

Typical message board logic.. especially the "doesn't need to mask anything" thing..

Viewing it all from the wrong perspective..

• Members

I have a mate and he is very knowledgeable and when someone doesn't know something and he does, he never makes it appear like it is something the other person should have known. It's a wonderful thing.

lol Really didn't know either. Up to the instant he hit that fuzz face, I hated fuzz.

Archived