OK, so Eric Johnson has impeccable technique.

honeyiscool

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the vid is recorded poorly. It sounds like he is playing in the shower.

Also, tone is personal. That doesn't mean I like his tone, just ... whatever floats his boat ... I don't have to listen to him.

• Members

You sir, have just made my list of people never to pay attention to when it comes to tone...

Either what you like is so far different from my tastes, or you have no ear for tone... I will

choose to believe that your definition of good tone, is just far different than my own.

Gary

Exactly what I was going to say..

• Members
On his Hot Licks video Eric uses a vintage Echoplex for his delay. Did he change to stereo delays? I used to own one until it died. That Echoplex was SWEET. It definitely made my tones ,clean or overdriven, more musical. Different ears for different folks. His licks and techniques have been around for awhile, maybe not as fresh, but Eric Johnson is God. Totally sweet, flowing player when he's on.

I have no idea - I was under the assumption he used an Echoplex as well, since much of his chain consists of vintage gear, but I really don't know. I would guess that the original video posted probably wasn't with the "A" rig though.

One thing for people to chew on - his tone sounds compressed in part because his PLAYING gives that effect. It's very smooth, very even, very linear. There aren't big jumps or spikes in the way he plays, no excess noise or chop in his playing, none of the raw quirks or "stylistic sloppiness" that we hear in a player like Page or Hendrix. I'm guessing that if many of us played his live would rig, it wouldn't sound so smooth like that. ;)

• Members
Not true. Give me a clean amp tone, recorded reasonably well and by itself, and I'm quite sure most people could get it. I've done the test with a bass guitar (maple vs. rosewood) and the differences were subtle, but noticeably different, to the point where I could figure out that it was rosewood or maple. And certainly I'd be able to hear the differences between two sets of pickups with different output and EQ.

You are incorrect... I have done that test. Posted it on numerous boards... and did it in a way that chance was NOT involved... 9 out of 10 posters got it WRONG.

Gary... BTW
photo.php?fbid=444216078929533&set=at.17

• Members

Because, you know, you always EQ the spoken word and an electric guitar the same, mash it down into tiny bits for the YouTubez and call it hi-fi, right?

Like Cobalt said, it probably sounded WAY different in that room.

• Members
I'm pretty much an expert at everything. I'll take down any rock star because I just don't give a {censored} - you can tell by my collection of offsets. Someday I hope to write snarky opinionated articles for Rolling Stone.

:lol:

Hopefully Honeyiscool has at least watched enough u2bs to form an honest opinion. ASSuming he has, I have no prob with even beginning players opinion on tone. To me, his sound is perfect for him, and his music. The delays sound great in most live clips I have seen...less so in his solo u2bs.

But what I take from a listen to EJ is less tone critiquing and more...HOLY CRAP! This guy is unbelievable! How can you play that {censored}ing clean!!!!!? :eek:

But he's no Joey Santiago;) Kidding...pixies fan here.

• Members
What I don't get is why he picked up that hideous burst when there are those other delish colors behind him.
:idk:
I don't think I can trust his judgement any longer.

He suffers. He lacks Tastemanship. Burn all yee bursts!

Archived