Need advice fast...Am I getting scammed??

thom

• Members

Definatley a scam! I was once selling an iphone on kijiji and the lady said she was looking for a phone for her friends son and he lives in Nigeria. She wanted me to send the money payment that she owed to her and then I found it was weird all of this. So i typed in the adress to google and found out it was a complete scam and you will never get the money. DONT DO IT

• Members

Nooooooooooo.

{censored} with the guy. Make him pay. Tell him that you would be willing to give the guitar to his "agent" and after he is satisfied, he can send the Paypal payment. Make up some story, I don't know. Just make something out of this.

• Members
This guy mailed me about the Les Paul Jr I'm selling, in English, which isn't our native language. No big deal, but for some reason his next mail made all my alarms go off:

Hello Thom,

Thanks for the mail, i am buying this for my Brother. I am a petroleum

engineer currently on a rig offshore i really want this to be a

surprise gift for my Brother so i wont let him know

anything about this until it gets delivered to him , i am sure he will

be more than happy with it.I can only pay with PayPal here, i will

need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the

payments asap and please if you don't have PayPal account yet, it is

very easy to setup,go to
www.paypal.com
and get it set up ,after you

have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for

registration with PayPal so as to put the money

through.The advert price is okay with me:Pick up agent will come for

the pick up as soon as i have made the payments, i would have loved to

talk to you on phone but i am a petroleum engineer I work mainly

onshore, our phone is down on the rig right now due to bad weather, we

can only communicate with our base for now.

Thanks.

xxxxxxx.

What I find amusing about this is that the scammer could have simply stated, "OK, give me your Paypal address and I will send payment".

Lengthy explanations usually indicate a scammer.

• Members

Nooooooooooo.

{censored} with the guy. Make him pay. Tell him that you would be willing to give the guitar to his "agent" and after he is satisfied, he can send the Paypal payment. Make up some story, I don't know. Just make something out of this.

This is a good way to get yourself killed. These scams are not run by small time thieves, they are serious, organised criminals who would not hesitate to get rid of a nuisance.

• Members

The buyer is the pickup agent. He's not splitting his take with anyone.

He gets away with the guitar before the payment bounces.

Best rule of thumb: If you think it may be a scam, it definitely is. Walk away.

There is no pickup agent. Scammers don't want merchandise. As mentioned, this will involve some kind of overpayment with bogus funds and the seller will issue a refund with good funds.

• Members

I'd ask that the payment be sent as a gift, that way he can't dispute anything. Then have the cops waiting on his agent. Being afraid of these people is how they get away with it.

Once again, there is no agent. That's not how the scam works. The most likely scenario is that they tell you they'll send Payapl. You're expecting a Paypal payment. They follow up with a fake email telling you you've received funds. Since you're expecting funds, you assume the email is real and follow the link in the email to log in to Paypal, only you're logging onto their phishing site, giving them your Paypal logon info. They log on and have free access to your Paypal account.

• Members

This is a good way to get yourself killed. These scams are not run by small time thieves, they are serious, organised criminals who would not hesitate to get rid of a nuisance.

I doubt these are "serious, organised criminals".

Secondly, I am not saying he should meet the guy, just send him on a goose chace. You think the scammer is going to locate him by his email address and kill him?

• Members

Secondly, I am not saying he should meet the guy, just send him on a goose chace. You think the scammer is going to locate him by his email address and kill him?

What do you stand to win? What do you risk losing?

Up to you to choose.

• Members

There is that whole pesky Paypal having your address problem...

Archived