Just saw Rock of Ages.

DaveAronow

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was pretty stoked for this to come out, then I saw a clip of zeta jones singing something. The songs aren't even redone well, just like her singing over the backing track. Maybe the others are different, but based on reviews I doubt it. Even Moulon Rouge had a badass Elton John cover. Across the universe did some awesome covers as well, I love really clean/produced, well done covers

• Members

yea it's just hard to imagine any scenario where the outrageously intentional campiness of musicals works with blood and guts hard rock. they're just two different worlds...might be entertaining for other reasons (performances, vibe,etc) though

• Members
I was pretty stoked for this to come out, then I saw a clip of zeta jones singing something. The songs aren't even redone well, just like her singing over the backing track. Maybe the others are different, but based on reviews I doubt it. Even Moulon Rouge had a badass Elton John cover. Across the universe did some awesome covers as well, I love really clean/produced, well done covers

You need to experience in a group experience. Like yourself i felt that Across The Universe was truly a magical experience. How could it not be? My fave band of all time along with Radiohead is The Beatles. You need to see ROA in a theater.

• Members
Across the Universe was a cess-ridden bastardization of the greatest rock music ever written. I don't plan on repeating the experience by seeing Rock of Ages. I lived it in the 80's and don't need to see a musical to tell me how it was.

While i would agree that The Beatles along with Radiohead and The Counting Crows is the greatest rock music ever written, i felt that Across The Universe brought the majesty and pageantry of the Fabs to a new generation and put into a context that could be appreciated by people from every walk of life. I feel that ROA has done the same thing.

• Members

Its Coyote Ugly with some major stars in minor subplots added in. If you think random people bursting out in song, outdated pop songs, is so funny that the joke never gets tired, ... even over 2 hours, then this is your "guy gets hit in the nuts". The moral to the story is that as bad as hair metal is boy bands are still worse. This film is very careful to avoid even the slightest hint of Grunge music so the viewer isn't reminded that they actually hate hair metal.

Hollywood is so much cooler these days.

• Members

I wonder if they marketed it wrong. Perhaps people thought is was a action adventure movie or a documentary. I really do think if they took the stage production on ice it would be as moving as Sgt Peepers was with the Bee Gees.

don't you get bored posting with the same schtick all the time?

• Members

yea
it's just hard to imagine any scenario where the outrageously intentional campiness of musicals works with blood and guts hard rock
. they're just two different worlds...might be entertaining for other reasons (performances, vibe,etc) though

forgotten Freddie already huh?

• Members

You mean John Waters?

05-john-waters1.jpg

Okay, I really want to see it now! Does he make Tom Cruise eat some dog {censored}?
:lol:

I thought it was Adam Shankman? Honestly, I'm just checking IMDb since I recall seeing "From the director of Hairspray" on an ad plastered on a bus I got stuck behind on the motorway.

EDIT: Just looked up John Waters. He wrote the screenplay for Hairspray, but didn't direct. I think Justin Theroux and some other guys wrote Rock of Ages.

• Members

forgotten Freddie already huh?

It's hard explain the difference...but it's not the same ...maybe the best way to explain it would be to say, when your watching the typical musical, you know that overwhelming sense of camp is part and parcel to the whole production. It's camp for camps sake, at least to me....Mercury doing camp on record and in concert is a fleeting thing at best, he always comes back to GENUINE rock intensity at some point on a record or in a show, whereas a musical only has genuine camp thru and thru...make sense?