Just saw Rock of Ages.

DaveAronow

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
You need to experience in a group experience. Like yourself i felt that Across The Universe was truly a magical experience. How could it not be? My fave band of all time along with Radiohead is The Beatles. You need to see ROA in a theater.

I saw it on Broadway with Constantine from American Idol in the lead. Totally terrific. The music was all live, the guy on guitar was awesome. A really fun show.

• Members
It's hard explain the difference...but it's not the same ...maybe the best way to explain it would be to say, when your watching the typical musical, you know that overwhelming sense of camp is part and parcel to the whole production. It's camp for camps sake, at least to me....Mercury doing camp on record and in concert is a fleeting thing at best, he always comes back to GENUINE rock intensity at some point on a record or in a show, whereas a musical only has genuine camp thru and thru...
make sense?

mmmm I see your point but I always saw Freddie as permanently and deliberately camp.
It was the appeal of the band and the name, of course.

Compare his stage strut with, say, Jagger.....oh, not a good comparison.....Bono.....oooops............Plant........possibly......

there must be a real rocker front man somewhere......apart from Meatloaf who was stage theatrical rock to the core without a hint of camp..

• Members

I heard on the radio today that Tom Cruise now plays guitar, and he may tour with Warrant and sing.

I heard CC DeVille on Sirius the other day saying Cruise 'passed the test' and that he, Brett, Ricki and Bobbi have all offered Tom a spot opening for Poison.

That being said, is the movie awful to sit through or is it more an amazing bad movie like Death Wish IV The Crackdown that is very enjoyable to watch?

Also, I have not been able to find any clips of Tom Cruise singing. I would think he could probably sing ok, as he has been in show business a long time.

• Members

I heard CC DeVille on Sirius the other day saying Cruise 'passed the test' and that he, Brett, Ricki and Bobbi have all offered Tom a spot opening for Poison.

That being said, is the movie awful to sit through or is it more an amazing bad movie like Death Wish IV The Crackdown that is very enjoyable to watch?

Also, I have not been able to find any clips of Tom Cruise singing. I would think he could probably sing ok, as he has been in show business a long time.

That's weird that CC DeVille was so positive. I would have thought he'd be pissed that only after 3 months, Tom Cruise had better chops than he did.

• Members

I'll give you a hint; the movie really wasn't about singing performances, although there were some great ones, and some equally awful ones.

Tom Cruises singing wasn't great at all, as I would expect, but it was adequate enough to allow him to deliver his "character" in the movie which he absolutely destroyed, in a good way. The singing wasn't the point at all. It was almost an afterthought. Tom Cruise absolutely dominated and stole every scene he was in. This is one of the times when his melodramatic, over the top intense style really worked perfectly. He has a tendency to either nail it big time or flop completely. He so nailed this role I'm not even going to try to explain it with words. And I'm no fan boy of his. I've absolutely hated him in alot of things others have considered him brilliant in.

I will reiterate, Tom's adequate at best singing had nothing to do with his character. It wasn't the point at all and not very important in context. He WAS, however, the ULTIMATE rockstar! After watching the movie, you will get why all of the rock dudes from that era are so eager to give him high marks.

So much hate and overanalyzing is going on in this thread.

You guys are WAY over thinking it and taking it WAY too seriously.

This movie, which may be surprising to those who haven't seen it, is not at all about vocal performances, or musical performances. They sing, almost as an afterthought just to remind you that, oh yeah, I guess since it is a musical that the characters should at least somewhat sing. The songs just help tell the story and move the film along. Come on, did you really expect Alec Baldwin to have a great eighties rock voice? Well, news flash; he doesn't, but in the movie, it doesn't matter and is almost irrelevant. He and Russel Brand were both hilarious.

You guys are way over thinking it.

If I had to describe this movie in three words, they would be, a "heck of a lot of fun, and oh yeah, Tom Cruise deserves every Penny he makes as an actor".

That is all. There is nothing more complicated to it than that.

If some of you people bashing the crap out of it would get rid of all your expectations of what you think it should be, or what you expect it to be, and just go in with a blank slate and sit and watch the thing, you will enjoy it.

You will have fun.

And lastly, it is hilarious to read some of the reviews in this thread from people who obviously haven't seen it and have no intentions of seeing it but have already made up their minds on what it is about. I've seen a couple reviews literally parroting reviews I have read on the net or in media as if the thoughts are actually coming from the poster. Hillarious.

Just drop all of your expectations of "performances" or songs, guitar playing, etc, because all that is an afterthought. It is not important in the context of the movie and doesn't matter if it is good or bad, although it wasn't by any means all bad.. I would give those of you that absolutely insist on making it about performances the message that the performances ranges from barely adequate, to very good in a few cases. It doesn't matter though.

Go see the thing and I promise, you will have fun and you will enjoy it.

If not, fair enough, but I am telling you, based on all the reviews and critiques I am reading on here from people who obviously and admittedly haven't seen it but have already made up their minds, you are all missing the point, and this movie isn't about what you think it is about.

It is about delivering a good time and a lot of fun to the audience. Simple as that.

In that context, the movie wins.

I absolutely will see it again.

• Members

I loved it. I loved the music from that era. It was a FUN movie. I watched just to hear the soundtrack. I agree that Tom really nailed the whole rock star thing. Can he sing? Maybe a little, but how they put all of the songs together to tell the story was kinda cool. It was entertaining from the opening credits until the lights came on. It had its hilariously funny moments, too. like when Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand singing "I can't fight this feeling anymore". That was funny.

Just seeing Juliane Hough in those outfits was worth the price of admission.

• Members
I thought it was Adam Shankman? Honestly, I'm just checking IMDb since I recall seeing "From the director of Hairspray" on an ad plastered on a bus I got stuck behind on the motorway.

EDIT: Just looked up John Waters. He wrote the screenplay for Hairspray, but didn't direct. I think Justin Theroux and some other guys wrote Rock of Ages.

You're both right. John Waters wrote and directed the original version of 'Hairspray'...the one with Ricki Lake and Divine (not to mention Sonny Bono, Debbie Harry, Ric Ocasek. Pia Zadora...). Shenkman directed the godawful remake with John Travolta in drag. AFAIK, the only thing Waters did on the remake was cackle maniacally all the way to the bank.

• Members

Well, if it wasn't apparent that was sarcasam. Feeling morally superior to me is saying you hate it because you don't want to seem shallow.

No, I got that it was sarcasm.

I didn't get the moral part, and thought a word like intellectually superior, or musically superior fit better since the argument in the thread seems to be about musical performances and what the film delivers or doesn't in that context.

It seemed like morally came out of left field. I still dont see how saying you hate it because you want to feel superior to someone has anything to do with morality.

Anyway, I got the sarcasm part though.

• Members

Thanks for the reply Dave. You pretty much confirmed what I thought after seeing the trailer. It looks like a fun story, I can see a lot of people liking it. When it's on Netflix I'll probably check it out.

• Members
I thought it was Adam Shankman? Honestly, I'm just checking IMDb since I recall seeing "From the director of Hairspray" on an ad plastered on a bus I got stuck behind on the motorway.

EDIT: Just looked up John Waters. He wrote the screenplay for Hairspray, but didn't direct. I think Justin Theroux and some other guys wrote Rock of Ages.

John Waters wrote and directed the original 1988 film, Hairspray. After the broadway success of The Producers taking an old film and turning it into a musical (and subsequent musical film of the stage show), Hairspray was taken on the same way. John Waters gave it his blessing, but he wasn't to my knowledge much involved in the project (he does have a tiny little cameo part in the 2007 film. During the opening number "Good morning Baltimore", he appears as "the flasher who lives downstairs"). John Waters is a {censored}ing genius.... I'm still holding out for the stage version of Crybaby. It's like a cool Grease. :)

• Members
I loved it. I loved the music from that era. It was a FUN movie. I watched just to hear the soundtrack. I agree that Tom really nailed the whole rock star thing. Can he sing? Maybe a little, but how they put all of the songs together to tell the story was kinda cool. It was entertaining from the opening credits until the lights came on. It had its hilariously funny moments, too. like when Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand singing "I can't fight this feeling anymore". That was funny.

Just seeing Juliane Hough in those outfits was worth the price of admission

This might be my sole reason for watching it (when it comes to basic cable).

I would really like to see Promethius, tho.