Just saw Rock of Ages.

DaveAronow

• Members
I thought it was Adam Shankman? Honestly, I'm just checking IMDb since I recall seeing "From the director of Hairspray" on an ad plastered on a bus I got stuck behind on the motorway.

EDIT: Just looked up John Waters. He wrote the screenplay for Hairspray, but didn't direct. I think Justin Theroux and some other guys wrote Rock of Ages.

I was {censored}in' wit'cha. ;):p As others have mentioned, John Waters wrote the 1988 movie which got turned into the musical and then turned into another movie.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Just to chime in.

Due to my distaste of 80s music in that vein, I didn't really enjoy the musical aspect of the film. Which, yeah, is sorta important. But the movie, dramatic bits that didn't involve the two leads were legitimately pretty fun. Alec Baldwin, Russel Brand, Paul Giamatti, Tom Cruise, all those bits, pretty damn entertaining.

It's a movie that is (mostly) the RIGHT kind of stupid. Not as bad as I was expecting.

The girlfriend loved it, but she's into musicals anyway.

• Members
Just to chime in.

Due to my distaste of 80s music in that vein, I didn't really enjoy the musical aspect of the film. Which, yeah, is sorta important. But the movie, dramatic bits that didn't involve the two leads were legitimately pretty fun. Alec Baldwin, Russel Brand, Paul Giamatti, Tom Cruise, all those bits, pretty damn entertaining.

It's a movie that is (mostly) the RIGHT kind of stupid. Not as bad as I was expecting.

The girlfriend loved it, but she's into musicals anyway.

This pretty much sun's it up.

"The right kind of stupid is exactly it."

I just want to drive home, one last time, not to opt out of the movie because A) you are not in to hair metal. Yes the movie is built around that theme, but the movie without any music is entertaining enough not to miss, even if you despise hair metal. The operative word is fun. It is a fun movie, and when I say that, thinking back on the movie, all the parts I am thinking about as fun, have very little to do with what songs are playing, what genra the music is, or how good or bad the performances are. Most of the fun parts for me dont really even involve music.

B: I forgot what B was, but I think I covered it in A.

Dont overthink it. It is a silly, fun movie. But just know that the music has a lot less to do with the movie being fun than you would expect from a "musical".

If you want to go spend a couple entertaining hours sitting in a theater, this movie WILL entertain you.

So far, the tally is, NO ONE that has reported in this thread as having seen it has said it wasn't worthwhile. If you haven't seen it, all you can do is talk about why you "think" it might suck. The movie is probably not what you are expecting it to be. It was definitely not what I was expecting.

That's all I'm saying. I'll stop trying to convince closed minds that are speaking of which they do not know. Very happy to acknowledge 100% of someone's right to absolutely hate it, if they have in fact, seen it. I would be surprised, but I would respect their opinion. Everyone else is guessing, and most are not exactly getting what the movie is about. It is not really what you are expecting.

• Members
So far, the tally is, NO ONE that has reported in this thread as having seen it has said it wasn't worthwhile. If you haven't seen it, all you can do is talk about why you "think" it might suck.

Isn't that pretty much what everything is like on this forum? :lol:

Just replace the word "seen" with "played" or "heard" and it's this place in a nutshell. :lol:

• Members
Finally! Someone with a unique, well thought out and original argument!

The old {censored} sandwich cliche! Brilliant!

Have you seen the Justin Bieber documentary about his life and struggles? It's totally a great heartfelt movie full of suspense, and action, and it has a happy ending. No? Well you can't make a decision about it until after you have sat through the entire 2 hour movie.

• Members

Have you seen the Justin Bieber documentary about his life and struggles? It's totally a great heartfelt movie full of suspense, and action, and it has a happy ending. No? Well you can't make a decision about it until after you have sat through the entire 2 hour movie.

Haven't seen it. I'm not the least bit of a fan of his music, but I do respect the kid for working as hard as he does. I dont know if you are joking or not, but I have actually heard those exact things from people that have seem it. I haven't seen it so I am not going to knock it at all.

I suspect, if I was flipping through the channels, and came upon it and found it interesting, I would probably watch it. I wouldn't care that it was about Justin Beiber. I dont need to be interested in his music to be interested in his story.

Nobody gets to be that huge of a megastar without working their ass off.

• Members

Your superior tone would be less annoying if you hadn't started this thread as a troll/social experiment.

But you have to admit, laughing at all the strong opinions from people who haven't seen is it well worth that annoyance, isn't it?

• Members
It is truly amazing. Tom really brought it home for me. I hear that Joe and The Save from Def Lep really loved it as well. Who can blame them? As much as i loved Across The Universe i think this may even be better. Truly amazing.

Joe & Rick are raving about Tom! Saw the movie twice and just love it and Tom is beyond phenomenal. Does all his own singing and guitar playing..had a vocal coach. Bret Michaels from Poison is giving Tom props too and Def Leppard & Bret went to the premiere. Jackson Guitars even designed custom guitars for Tom to play as Stacee Jaxx in the film. He just tore up the stage on "Pour Some Sugar On Me", and "Wanted Dead Or Alive"..oh and on "Every Rose Has It's Thorn".

[video=youtube;Jg3NgPT-1LM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg3NgPT-1LM&feature=player_embedded