Restoring a vintage Hofner Colorama II (lots of pics)

irishstu

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks, beike. I hope I've managed to do the guitar some justice.

Well, there's not much more to add to the thread, apart from to post some final pictures of it put all back together, so here we go:

P3030278.JPG

P3030283.JPG

P3030286.JPG

P3030288.JPG

P3030292.JPG

P3030293.JPG

P3030295.JPG

P3030298.JPG

P3030305.JPG

Finally, this one came out a bit blurred, so I've gone a bit arty-farty with it in Photoshop:

P3030289.JPG

• Members

Thanks again, fellas. I really do appreciate the feedback. Most of this project has been a completely new learning experience for me and it's nice to see that I did a good enough job to not be laughed at.

linus, the neck plays great. In fact it ended up being just perfect, relief-wise, and is a nice shape too. I bit fatter than my American Standard Strat (which I love), but not too different apart from that. It sounds very decent without plugging it in. Nice bit of sustain, helped by the solid brass bridge, most likely, and plugged in it has a great "House of the Rising Sun" vibe on the bridge pickup and with both pickups on it sounds great for stuff like Link Ray's "Rumble". The neck pickup on its own is a bit more, well, neck pickup-y. You know rhythm/jazz, whatever. I've never been much of a neck pickup guy, so I don't see myself using it much on its own. I'm LOVING the neck/bridge combo though.

My only complaint, though, is the tuning. The tremolo unit is actually very well engineered, but passing over a bridge like that, which isn't even held down tight is guaranteed to lead to tuning problems. Add to that that the tuners themselves are giving me a bit of grief, due to the original holes not being drilled dead straight (I can sort this out of course). Although it won't keep 100% with the vintage look, I have a roller bridge on order. I'm not going to throw out the bridge I made, obviously, but I'd rather have a playable guitar than one that just looks pretty.

• Members

OK, I did a quick sound demo of the guitar. It's pretty basic, but hopefully you can at least hear more or less what it sounds like. I had to record it on my camera in low light, so, you know...

Apologies in advance for the crap video quality/sound quality/accent/playing/background mess.

[video=youtube;nqF15HjpvYI]

• Members

Well, I just read this whole thread from start to finish. You, sir, are a wizard. Consider this thread bookmarked on my browser as reference for future projects. You've really inspired and educated me. Glad I read it before finishing my own project!

You've done a god-like job on that guitar. Considering what you started with, it's simply phenomenal.

I bow to you, and acknowledge you as a great man.

• Members

Well, I just read this whole thread from start to finish. You, sir, are a wizard. Consider this thread bookmarked on my browser as reference for future projects. You've really inspired and educated me. Glad I read it before finishing my own project!

You've done a god-like job on that guitar. Considering what you started with, it's simply phenomenal.

I bow to you, and acknowledge you as a great man.

Thanks, Skyforger. You totally made my weekend.

• Members

Glad I was able to give you a smile there, friend. I keep coming back to this thread and studying the refinish parts, and it's something I'd really like to try out. Sure, I've painted guitars but only ever from bare wood up to full gloss then lacquer.

And now that I think about it, my dad's got a real POS that's been sat at the back of his cupboard for the last couple of years. Perhaps that'd be a good place to start, since nobody'll miss it if I cock it up :lol:

So, any more projects in the pipeline?

• Members

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but you seem to know your way around Hofners? I bought this thing used a while ago, paid more or less nothing for it, and the seller said it was originally a Hofner, but it had a new neck making the scale shorter, and some other "upgrades". I'm guessing it originally had a black pickguard, as the tremolo-cover on the back is black. Any idea what guitar this originally was? I'm playing with the idea of putting it back to something a bit closer to it's original state...

• Members

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but you seem to know your way around Hofners? I bought this thing used a while ago, paid more or less nothing for it, and the seller said it was originally a Hofner, but it had a new neck making the scale shorter, and some other "upgrades". I'm guessing it originally had a black pickguard, as the tremolo-cover on the back is black. Any idea what guitar this originally was? I'm playing with the idea of putting it back to something a bit closer to it's original state...

I'm no expert, but the tremolos do look very similar in design. Would there have been much of a market for Hofner copies?

• Members

Yeah, it's a Hofner. I'll get you more details and post back in a bit.

• Members

OK, back. You might have a 70's Hofner 164, as seen a bit down this page: http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/solids/sol28.html

EDIT: Actually I think it might be a 172 from the early sixties: http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/vintagehofner/solids/sol17.html

The replacement neck really does appear to be a Hofner one to me. It's practically exactly the same as mine. Are you in a position to give me some more details about the guitar?

Glad I was able to give you a smile there, friend. I keep coming back to this thread and studying the refinish parts, and it's something I'd really like to try out. Sure, I've painted guitars but only ever from bare wood up to full gloss then lacquer.

And now that I think about it, my dad's got a real POS that's been sat at the back of his cupboard for the last couple of years. Perhaps that'd be a good place to start, since nobody'll miss it if I cock it up
:lol:

So, any more projects in the pipeline?

Thanks again, Skyforger. And yeah, the POS is the perfect place to start, The more that's wrong with it, the better. The thing I found hardest on this guitar was the painting/lacquering, and you already know how to do that. The rest is pretty straightforward, if time-consuming. Absolutely feel free to ask any questions.

As for MY next project? Feck knows. I thought I wanted a break, but this weekend I found myself just walking around the flat bored and wondering what I could fix up. I'd really love to build a Les Paul Jr, but I think the wife would kill me, so I don't know. Maybe I'll make a tremolo pedal to go with the old Hofner.

Archived