Les Paul Build #2

GuitarNoobie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

(trying to tie this off now ;) )

I can taste a notty beer with out even being told what strain was used.....US05 over notty for me any day of the week. YMMV.

And I can taste a US-05, a WLP001, Wyeast 1056, Wy 1028, WLP007, etc. Sure you can, too. Nothing wrong with that.

My original point was that Nottingham is a good yeast, widely applicable, and hardy. And that dry yeasts are just fine. A lot of new brewers think they have to get into liquid yeasts as soon as they start making their own recipes. Not true.

Maybe we can agree to hate Munton's or Cooper's or something. (actually, for lower-gravity ales, they're just fine)

As far as your assertion that yeast derived esters, phenols and level of attenuation is not an integral part of the flavor profile of ales, I couldn't disagree more.

And you wouldn't be disagreeing with me. That wasn't what I said. To rephrase: in ales you taste what the yeast leaves behind more than the yeast itself (unlike many strains of lager yeast).

Dry and liquid strains both have their place in brewing & from my POV neither need be used exclusively. Granted, I've only been brewing for like a decade or so, I might still have phase or three to work though
;)

Well, yeah....brewing just continues to reveal what more there is to learn ;)

If there's a homebrewing thread here, I'll find it. Otherwise, I hang out at homebretalk.com

Cheers, gents.

/hijack (although if the OP takes part, is that technically a hijack?;))

• Members
my pleasure. by the way, i can't wait for this HC2.0 business to be completed so we can start to get some new progress updates from meandi on the blacktop thread. i know he's been busy on it because we've been talking.

dang it...

i am dying for updates in that thread...

this 2.0 thing needs to get implemented of GO AWAY !!!! :mad:

• Members
(trying to tie this off now
;)
)

And I can taste a US-05, a WLP001, Wyeast 1056, Wy 1028, WLP007, etc. Sure you can, too. Nothing wrong with that.

My original point was that Nottingham is a good yeast, widely applicable, and hardy. And that dry yeasts are just fine. A lot of new brewers think they have to get into liquid yeasts as soon as they start making their own recipes. Not true.

Maybe we can agree to hate Munton's or Cooper's or something. (actually, for lower-gravity ales, they're just fine)

And you wouldn't be disagreeing with me. That wasn't what I said. To rephrase: in ales you taste what the yeast leaves behind more than the yeast itself (unlike many strains of lager yeast).

Well, yeah....brewing just continues to reveal what more there is to learn
;)

If there's a homebrewing thread here, I'll find it. Otherwise, I hang out at homebretalk.com

Cheers, gents.

/hijack (although if the OP takes part, is that technically a hijack?
;)
)

no biggie on the hijack. i will always talk homebrew or enjoying others doing it...

i am a member at homebrewtalk also, but haven't been online there in quite some time. i think my member name is brewproject over there...

anyway, good luck finding the home brew thread here. it was in the Electrics forum and the unofficial group name was Delta Brews or something to that effect, but dammit if i can't find it now. Google is not helping either :mad:

• Members

Sapele

quartered Khaya doesn't have the iridescent streaking through the grain that quartered Sapele usually has. Plus the weight is right to be typical of a Sapele blank that size.

No, its mahogany. I have a lot of sapele in here, and its a lot different. Sapele is my number one wood choice, Mahogany i only buy/use when Sapele has run dry. Entirely different look/feel. Way heavier.

• Members

just a little more cleanup needed on the fretboard and then filling/sanding the dremel check marks, but she's looking pretty good :thu:

btw, the glass that has cut up pieces of white binding is the first ingredient for the "binding goop"

dcam5203.jpg
dcam5204.jpg

you can clearly see a little left over tape i didn't get in this pic. my camera macro can be better than my eyes by a long shot :freak:

dcam5205.jpg

• Members

since the fretboard is all but finished, i started working on the body tonight...

when i started buying tools to build guitars i discovered a planer to handle a guitar width was going to be very expensive (around $500 for something that can plane 15" wide). however i found a solution thanks to the guys over at MyLesPaul.com.

And here's a picture. It's basically a jig that allows me to use my router to plane each side of the body wood... this pic shows the wood held in place by scraps of wood and two 1x3 pieces of pine that also play the role of side rails...

dcam5211.jpg

there is also a router carriage that glides along the rails keeping everything level. here you can see several different sets of holes. they are used to locate the router is different locations depending on the width of the piece of wood being planed... the only requirement with this jig setup is you can only do half of each side and then you have to spin the router carriage around 180 degrees for the other side. no biggie...

dcam5209.jpg

base of the router mounted...

dcam5212.jpg

and the router in the base and mounted...

dcam5217.jpg

in the case of this piece of wood it was in good shape and did not need much wood removed. here is a shot underneath the router carriage at how i have the depth of the bit set...

dcam5216.jpg

here you can see the first couple of passes and where wood is being removed...

dcam5220.jpg

and here is a video clip of the action in progress...

planing with the homemade jig...

[YOUTUBE]ozyIIhMZMJA[/YOUTUBE]

quick hit with the orbital sander to insure i got each square inch with the router bit...

[YOUTUBE]FVxb7_M5TZQ[/YOUTUBE]

and a final sanding with a sanding block to finish off side 1... :D

[YOUTUBE]mD-TzRgvpIY[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

planed and sanded... that little jig is totally awesome. there was just the slightest of imperfection in the squareness of this blank, but now it's totally flat on both sides. :thu:

Side to go against the maple. this would be the exposed back except for that tiny little knot right in the middle :mad:

dcam5225.jpg

Side exposed on the back. the little mineral mark in the grain (or whatever that is on the right side, will almost be eliminated after the cut)...

dcam5226.jpg

here's the trio...

dcam5224.jpg

time to draw ;)

dcam5227.jpg

ready for the bandsaw... woohoo !!!

dcam5229.jpg

• Members

Wow! Cool thread. You are doing a hell of a job there!! Can't wait to see how it turns out. On the binding cutting issue, what about a tiny little bearing that could slide on the dremel bit to keep the binding edge safe. You might not even need to "Attach" it. just a thought. Keep up the excellent work!

• Members
Wow! Cool thread. You are doing a hell of a job there!! Can't wait to see how it turns out. On the binding cutting issue, what about a tiny little bearing that could slide on the dremel bit to keep the binding edge safe. You might not even need to "Attach" it. just a thought. Keep up the excellent work!

thanks...

a small bearing is a cool idea. that might work :idea:

Archived