Les Paul Build #2

GuitarNoobie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

been busy with football and my other build today... finally got time for this build ;)

trimming the fretboard using my table saw. i use double sided rug carpet tape to hold the board in place.

dcam5060.jpg

dcam5061.jpg

then i created a jig to keep the radius block on center while sanding the inlays down to meet the board. again, double sided rug carpet tape to hold the board in place.

dcam5064.jpg

i went from 100 grit up to 800 grit. you can see at first it's a lot of inlay coming off. sand paper is held to the radius board with double sided carpet tape, deja vu... (just wait, all the templates for routing are held with the stuff too, lol)

dcam5066.jpg

after a while with the 100 grit i start to get the inlays leveled down to the board... i have as much ebony coming off as MOP...

dcam5067.jpg

here's the trimmed and sanded ebony with a little lemon oil rubbed on it...

dcam5068.jpg

dcam5069.jpg

next i bent some fret wire to a 12" radius using my handy, dandy homemade fret bender...

dcam5071.jpg

finished fret wire...

dcam5072.jpg

btw, if you are interested in how to build the fret wire bender following this link. i wasn't gonna pay $100 from stewmac and HC member Nevermind pointed me to these plans... i used sander paper and double sided tape instead of the outdoor tread tape and the whole thing cost me about $18.....

Make Your Own Inexpensive Fret Bender

Archived