Les Paul Build #2

GuitarNoobie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

so let's glue the maple cap on :thu:

first thing is line it up the center lines drawn on the mahogany with the seam on the maple and drill two holes where the pickup routes will go. i screw it down to the mahogany first and then remove for the glue... i also put the screws in just slightly off center so as not to mess with the seam on the maple...

dcam5334.jpg

glue... i use titebond...

dcam5335.jpg
dcam5336.jpg

i screwed on the top and then added the clamps. i went around the edges and in the electronics cavities to clean up as much glue as possible that might have been pressed out when adding the clamps.

dcam5337.jpg
dcam5338.jpg

i will let this dry overnight and then can proceed with bringing the maple cap sides down to even with the mahogany...

:wave:

• Members
your welcome and never heard of doing that with copper on a Les Paul...
:idk:

les pauls generally dont need shielding on the pickups cause they are humbuckers. sometimes the control cavities are painted with conductive paint, but gibson doesnt seem to use anything except the big ground plate the pots get attached to. my sg has nothing at all in the way of shielding.

• Members

I don't post on this site much.

But you and your fantastic build have intrigued me sir.Really great build you have here. It has almost inspired me to try something similar. I say almost because convincing my wife that I need to do this would be dam near impossible.

Keep up the great post's. I will keep lurking.

• Members

les pauls generally dont need shielding on the pickups cause they are humbuckers. sometimes the control cavities are painted with conductive paint, but gibson doesnt seem to use anything except the big ground plate the pots get attached to. my sg has nothing at all in the way of shielding.

and gibsons didn't even use to have big ground plate, correct?

• Members
I don't post on this site much.

But you and your fantastic build have intrigued me sir.Really great build you have here. It has almost inspired me to try something similar. I say almost because convincing my wife that I need to do this would be dam near impossible.

Keep up the great post's. I will keep lurking.

i glad you posted. that's inspiring to me... :thu:

thanks for the great compliments and i hope your wife will find it in her heart to let you do something like this...

show her the thread and tell her how happy it would make you. how could she deny you ;)

Archived