• Last Reply
  • Members

whoa !!!
:eek:
better start eating your wheaties
:lol:

well when i think about mine, i still more than half of the neck blank to come off. there will also be quite a bit of routing and some angle planing on the body, so i can see that 10.2 lbs coming down by 3-4 lbs. so mine should end up around 6 or 7 lbs before hardware...

:) remember that is the top and body weighed together. Even as oversized as my body blank is it is still just a bit lighter than what your blank started at. 12.18 lbs as it sits. Once i thickness them and chop off 6" the top and back together will be 12.5 lbs roughly before I even cut the body outline.

• Members
:)
remember though that is the top and body weighed together. Even as oversized as my body blank is it is still just a bit lighter than what your blank started at. 12.18 lbs as it sits. Once i thickness them and chop off 6" the top and back together will be 12.5 lbs roughly before I even cut the body outline.

when did you say you are gonna start building ???

• Members

I have to decide which set of plans to use, and have a couple extra sets printed to pattern from. Then I gotta make a set of templates. Then i gotta catch enough of a break in the weather to tolerate being in the garage or outside. Cold doesn't bother me so much, but we've been getting lake effect snows damn near every day for the last few weeks.

Also, I'm thinking I want to finish the hollow firebird before I start this. So long story short, sometime between soon and July.

• Members
Wow, this really is a great thread and I cant wait to see the finished guitar. I cant thank the OP enough for posting such detailed pictures and videos. The woods selected for the body and top look exceptional.
:thu:

thanks man... i enjoy documenting this for others to see, learn and comment on.... :thu:

• Members
Are you retired or something? :poke:

You update these threads quite regularly with much progress in between.

Nonetheless, it looks great. It's cool to see you're in the DFW area, in case your work becomes desirable.
:)

retired? i wish... i work from home between 1 and 3 days a week and sometimes have a little time to look at things during the day.

with that said most of the work is done in the evenings and weekends...

and thanks, i appreciate it...

• Members

in taking a some closer measurements tonight, i confirmed (as suspected) that the width of my body is 1 mm to thick. So I put it back on the planer jig and removed that 1 mm...

after completing that 1mm removal and resanding the surface, along with smoothing the sides until i felt no imperfections, i took more measurements with my caliper.

i am within 1/100th of the mm all the way around the body !!! WOOHOO !!!

anyway, I am going to move forward with some cavity/channel routing. pics later... :thu:

• Members

ok, here's the channel route...

first i put some double sided carpet tape on the back of the body and stick it down...

dcam5266.jpg

then some of the same tape on the bottom of the template and stick down to the body

dcam5268.jpg

ready to route... well almost. first i take a drill bit and drill a started hole 1/2" deep to get the router started. (sorry, forgot the picture)

dcam5269.jpg

wire channel routed :thu:

dcam5270.jpg

i routed the channel in 3 passes, taking about 1/6" on each pass. this allows the router to make smooth cuts without trying to remove too much wood at once...

• Members

next it was time to route the electronics cavity and switch cavity...

ready to rock...

dcam5271.jpg

first hog out as much wood as you can with a forstner bit...

[YOUTUBE]km8vIPUH_HA[/YOUTUBE]

dcam5273.jpg

then route the remaining wood...

[YOUTUBE]D4B2MTTWWf4[/YOUTUBE]

finished with the electronics cavity and switch cavity. i used the same method for the switch cavity... forstner bit and then router...

dcam5276.jpg

next i am ready to do the back plates route... but then i realize these new templates are calling for a router bit i don't own. so that's it for tonight. i have to get a new router bit..

dcam5278.jpg

so here's the progress for this evening...

dcam5279.jpg

Archived