MIM > USA? Jeremy Spencer seems to think so...

bluesnapper

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My Indonesian Surf Strat is the best playing guitar I've ever laid hands on.

My Gibson V is pretty good, but doesn't have the same playability.

MIA isn't 100% always gonna be better.

:thu: my VM Surf feels very 60s. Sounds more 50s.

• Members

I got the impression that his frame of reference was from the 90's "when they cost about $250". He also talks about a conversation he had with Peter Green nine years ago. This was before the Ensenada plant went to butcher block (six -seven pc) bodies. I've had both versions and I much prefer the 90's early 2000 versions. I also prefer the vintage specs to the American Strats I've tried and never felt the need for an extra fret.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I guess by that reasoning (that the preferences of some well known guitarist somehow means that a particular guitar is better than others) every well-known guitar player that prefers USA guitars (which seems to be most of them) would prove that MIM guitars are far, far, far inferior. But hey, I am one to go by my own experience and I have found that MIM Fenders are far, far, far inferior :)

• Members

FWIW that neck was probably made in the Corona, CA factory.

...by Mexicans! And some lady signed my pickups - Abigail Ybarra? I tell ya, give me the good ol' days at Fender in the 50's when real American men were building these instruments of rock and roll destiny! What? He hired who?:eek: Never mind.

• Members

I have no thoughts on the MIM vs USA thing. But after I clicked on this thread in June, I checked out the rest of the Jeremy Spencer videos, and have been on a serious slide guitar kick ever since.

That is all.

At least someone's got the point ;)

I didn't really start this thread as a contribution to some lame MIM v MIA non-argument!

• Members

My Indonesian Surf Strat is the best playing guitar I've ever laid hands on.

My only current Tele is an Indonesian Squier. It's killer.

I do believe the whole "better/best" thing is way too subjective to be assessed. I expect most MIA stuff has better components...hardware, wiring, etc. But (IMO) you can make a few mods/upgrades on a cheaper model and have exactly what you want for less cash outlay.

However, I am all for anyone spending whatever amount of money they wish on whatever it is they want.

Personally, if I am ever again going to spend more than about $500 on a guitar, it's going to be a nice acoustic.

• Members

I know my first impressions of MIM Fenders was that I was liking them better than my earlier MIJ Fenders. Seemed like there was a bit more panache to the finish of the MIJs, but the tone seemed better on the MIMs out of the box. But MIM better than MIA? :idk:

Archived