MIM > USA? Jeremy Spencer seems to think so...

bluesnapper

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

At least someone's got the point
;)

I didn't really start this thread as a contribution to some lame MIM v MIA non-argument!

Then you really need to learn how to name a thread.

As for MIM vs. MIA, I'd say the quality level is pretty damn close. Same CNC programs, same CNC machines, different pay-rates for the Mexicans running the machines. How could they not be similar? The biggest difference in them is the specs they're built to and how far they take the final steps of finishing the product. A MIA Fender can be an absolute joy to hold in your hands, but so can a MIM after you put a bit more into the necks (rolled edges, polish up the frets a bit more, swap out the string tree..) and maybe throw in some better pups. To me, that's all it takes to make a MIM into a great guitar. I've owned three MIM Strats, spanning most of my adult life, and I can honestly say that I never want to be without one. Right now I own a 2010 that's bone stock and I adore the thing.

• Members

Jesus -- we're talking about strats and teles: They're essentially planks with a neck bolted on, a couple/three pickups and a bit of wiring along with some cheap electronic switches and pots. Get over yourselves!

• Members

I just got back from GC, tried out a handful of Squier's and Strats across the spectrum. They were all over the map in terms of weight and playability. Big frets and small, flat and vintage radius, the world is your oyster. I don't think any blanket statement about MIM's can be accurate.

Archived