I just ordered my first $2k-er and it was going to be a Gibson...

honeyiscool

• Members

But then, I was like, man, screw Gibson. $2k+ guitars should sound expensive, and really Gibsons just sound like good humbuckers to me, so I'm going with an acoustic...

DV016_Jpg_Large_H82359.jpg

Taylor 2012 316ce-LTD Spring Limited Edition Koa Grand Symphony Acoustic-Electric Guitar

So basically, it's a 300 series guitar, but made with koa instead of sapele. I'm ordering this online, but I've played Taylors before and I like the big sparkling sound and the ebony fretboards and their playability is amazing and I like the bolt-on neck technology, so I'm hoping that the koa and the slightly bigger body will make this guitar a winner for me. If this guitar is half as good as I expect it to be, I'll never need another acoustic.

• Members

Sweet! I've decided that my next guitar is also going to be a top-drawer acoustic. To me it also makes so much more sense to spend that sort of coinage on an acoustic, where the differences are really apparent!

• Members
Way to buy local:thu:

You go on the factory tour yet? I've been like 5 times

Have not! Living next to major guitar manufacturers like Taylor and Carvin, I feel like I should have something from each company, but only semi-hollow Carvins really interest me, and for $1300+, I feel like I'd rather have a Gibson Midtown, and I don't need a semi-hollow right now.

• Members

You definitely should! Especially since you're in the family now. Show up a little before 1 m-f in the lobby, it's pretty quick 30-45 minutes. I haven't gone in a few years but they walk you through the factory and show you all the parts of production, and they show you their storage sheds full of their wood stock. Will definitely get you excited/proud about your new guitbox

• Members

Nice! I'm a lifelong Martin player, but Taylors are fantastic guitars. I was sort of influenced by Neil Young and Stephen Stills back in the early 70's and Taylor wasn't around back then. In 40 years, it might look like my Martin:

d18b.jpg

d18c.jpg

d18f.jpg

• Members

If I were being perfectly honest, I would say that $2k won't land you a really special Gibson unless you found something pre owned from the Custom Shop. $2k will pay for a Gibson Les Paul Classic with a baked maple board. To get something nice, you have to go to a Standard which run around $2500. Maybe a cool SG Standard or something in that family could be had for $2K, but not a Les Paul or ES335 that would be special.

I think you made an excellent choice. Good acoustics just get better, and you can definitely hear as well as see the aging process. You're gonna love your Taylor. Enjoy it and play it until you've worn down the finish. Then keep on strummin' because it's just gettin' started!

• Members

Well, I'm screwed when it comes to Gibsons anyway because I like white Les Pauls, but I also want them chambered in the 8 lb range, I want either an ebony or composite board, and I don't want a Studio, since I want bindings, which means Gibson actually doesn't make anything for me anyway. Every model they have is at least one variable away from my wishlist and you should never spend that kind of money for something unless it seems just right.

• Members

I consider myself somewhat lucky in the sense that I went on a guitar shopping spree just after Y2K. I got a sweet ES335 and a Les Paul R4 for exactly $2 large. I bought a beautiful LP Classic in 2000 when the street price was $1299, and I got my '58 RI (when figured tops were only available on expensive guitars) for $3 K.

But last summer, I got what may have been the best deal ever. MF had Martin 00028 Eric Clapton sigs marked down from $3299 to $2799. At the same time, they had a 20% off sale going. I called to see if I could get the full monty on the EC, and before even thinking about it, the young sales woman said "Of course." I ended up getting that guitar for $2239, and that's $1060 off the street price. Since then, they've gone up another $200, so I feel extremely fortunate. I love that guitar--there's something about a great acoustic that makes it seem so personal and alive compared with an electric.

But, you've got me itching for a Taylor now. Damn it.

• Members

Excellent choice. You don't have to spend $2000 to get a decent electric guitar - but top acoustics start at $2k.

I tried out a bunch of acoustics recently when my girlfriend was shopping for a good one - sure, there were some decent examples from anything between

• Members

Excellent choice. You don't have to spend $2000 to get a decent electric guitar -
but top acoustics start at $2k.

I tried out a bunch of acoustics recently when my girlfriend was shopping for a good one - sure, there were some decent examples from anything between

• Members

boy u be trippin.

ill put my D15 up against ANY guitar.

ANY.

Ah yes... a mahogany one. Those come in cheaper :D

I tried out fifty or so dreadnaught-sized spruce topped guitars along Denmark Street in London last year - as I said, there were some very nice guitars up to

Archived