I just ordered my first $2k-er and it was going to be a Gibson...

honeyiscool

• Members

Nice guitar. I wouldn't pay 2k for anything without playing it though.

Got to agree with this. I've played 2 Taylor's, 1 I loved and one not so much. But if you are a big fan it will probably be fine and if not I assume you can return it.

• Members

I have mixed emotions about this. On one hand, I would never drop $2k on something I haven't played and I think you're a little crazy to do so. On the other hand, it's a Taylor :D I bought my 310 in 2001 and I haven't looked for another acoustic since. Oh, sure, I gassed for a parlour guitar a while back, but then I played my Taylor and forgot about it.

• Members

I have mixed emotions about this. On one hand, I would never drop $2k on something I haven't played and I think you're a little crazy to do so. On the other hand, it's a Taylor
:D
I bought my 310 in 2001 and I haven't looked for another acoustic since. Oh, sure, I gassed for a parlour guitar a while back, but then I played my Taylor and forgot about it.

Well there's another small element to all this, is that I don't really have a style I play in acoustic, since I've largely held acoustic guitars in contempt through most of my life. So I want a guitar I can adapt to as much as a guitar that wants to adapt to me. I think koa is a fun and unusual wood for a guitar, and I hear it ages well, so I'm really looking forward to having this for a few decades and seeing where it takes me. I just want something of good build quality, and I knew I wanted a Taylor. I've tried other acoustics and Taylors work for me. The fact that the average Taylor seems to be set up extremely well just hanging on Guitar Center makes me not too worried. I mean, what sold me was when I picked up a 12 string Taylor that was just as easy to play as a 6 string Martin.

Plus, just look at this (p.s. I didn't order from Sweetwater, I'm just saying, look at how rich this model looks):

1104192062-front-l.jpg1104192062-detail4-l.jpg

They probably won't ever make this model again.

• Members

Love my Taylor. Mine has no frills, so it was cheaper and sounds just as good as the more ornate models. No wood upgrades though. Regardless, it is an excellent guitar. Plays and sounds great.

I also like the bolt on technology. I am going to take off my neck and knock the finish off it. I have the satin finish and my crazy sweat is polishing the damn thing. That needs to end. I can't imagine how much nicer it will be to play once I have raw wood on the neck.

• Members

Gee -- your background is almost diametrically opposed to mine -- I have probably played acoustic five or ten times as much as electric during my entire life. I'm willing to bet that your view of the relative merits of each will change drastically when you get that Taylor in your hands!

Archived