Why a Suhr or Anderson over High end Fender?

Snappy Hat

• Members

I just took delivery of a custom ordered K-Line Truxton, which you could call a Tele copy. I played a bunch of Fender CS Teles before going K-Line. While many were nice, I didn't want a relic finish, and while I like a traditional look and sound, I wanted a flatter fingerboard and larger frets. Given those constraints, I couldn't find a Tele off the rack that worked for me.

With K-Line, I was able to spec out what I wanted and have it turned around in a very reasonable time at a materially lower cost than a Fender CS custom order. While Fender invented the Tele, that doesn't mean they do it best. There's no secret to a Tele. Good wood, good frets, good components and that's about all you can do. So I wasn't going pay Fender a premium for the headstock.

If you extend the argument to Suhr or Anderson, those guys offers tons of a stuff that Fender doesn't even make. You can't get Fender to make your a Suhr Modern or Anderson Atom - those are unique designs.

Ultimately, it's your cup of tea - but I think it's a good thing to have choices. Since when were monopolies good for the consumer?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just used up all my fingers and toes and counted 37 strats over the years. Custom shops,mexi's,squiers and these were just the Fender stuff. I know and like Fender but if you think any of these guitars hold a candle to an Anderson I am calling you out as I don't believe you have ever played an Anderson and this is just another Thursday afternoon troll thread. There is no comparison to setup and playability the sound it makes may not be your thing but build quality is way past the Fender stuff.

• Members

Perhaps it's simply that men are genetically programmed to view curves:

As intrinsically attractive?

thats the direction I was going , I was going to try a Fibonacci Spiral overlay on Fender headstocks but

my photoshop is acting up.

fibonacci-spiral.gif

• Members

I think it's mostly this. After all this time, to many, Fender and Gibson headstocks just look "right."

True, but a lot of three on a side headstocks look good - Gibsons, Gretsch, Guild, Martin - I'm partial to the "snakehead" look myself. The only six on a side pegheads that really look good are Fender....and Bigsby. Even the reverse Firebird and batwing Epi look kinda eh.

I've had one of my Suhrs for about 10 years and the other for about five. I played a ton of guitars when I was shopping for the first one including Tom Anderson (I had an acquaintance at the time who worked for Anderson as a luthier so I could have gotten a great deal on one) and Tyler and I worked for a Fender dealer so I could have gotten any Fender instrument for cost but the Suhr was the one that spoke to me. At the time I was into the idea that it had the Buzz Feiten intonation (not so much anymore) but for the recording work I was doing it was nice having one guitar that was super accurate (at least more so than the isntruments I had at the time). My second Suhr was the Tele and by that time I knew how better to place an order and what I wanted so it actually surpassed my expectations. This year I've added a Badger 30 amp and a Koko Boost pedal from Suhr to my rig and its amazing how easy it is to get workable sounds that make me happy at many different volume levels depending on the gig requirements. The level of quality and craftsmanship and the thought that goes into everything really has me sold.

For the $2250 the strat cost me and the $2500 the tele did I'm extremely happy. As far as customer service goes they were awesome too from letting me come to the factory to talk to John about the build and take a tour to this year driving a Koko boost pedal out in person to my studio after an online dealer totally blew it.

I'm a huge Suhr fan, but that doesn't stop me from owning and playing other instruments depending on what the gig requires..I have a custom guitar coming from a brand new small luthier in a month or so that I'm pretty excited about too. Ultimately when you buy a small builder you are hopefully paying for attention to detail, additional time spent on each instrument, premium materials, and better customer service. Can I play the gigs I have with an American Standard strat and a Crate Classic 30? yeah, but I wouldn't be as happy. And if I'm happy I play better :)

Suhr Classic T

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

Suhr Classic

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

483153_10151112742507425_548247617_n.jpg

292131_10151009027407425_1774506970_n.jp

• Members

Someone beat me to it at tdpri did it for tele bodies with neck using golden ration

, still would like to see it on headstocks. But just looking at Suhr and Anderson headstocks they just are off,

you really dont even need the overlay. They are unnatural ..

tele-phi.jpg.

• Members

True, but a lot of three on a side headstocks look good - Gibsons, Gretsch, Guild, Martin - I'm partial to the "snakehead" look myself. The only six on a side pegheads that really look good are Fender....and Bigsby. Even the reverse Firebird and batwing Epi look kinda eh.

I like the snakehead too. I'm also a fan of other 6-on-a-side headstocks though, like Fano.

• Members

Someone beat me to it at tdpri did it for tele bodies with neck using golden ration

, still would like to see it on headstocks. But just looking at Suhr and Anderson headstocks they just are off,

tele-phi.jpg

Science!

That's really neat.

• Members

they're different.

"unnatural" makes you sound like somebody who hates civil rights or universal suffrage.

it's just a guitar.

• Members

lol tone is in the headstock.

I can't speak much about Andersons too much (though the ones I have played are nice), but Suhr's build process is a bit different. That and the options you can get. IMO the best instruments aren't bought, they are played. Even though it is fun for some of us to obsess over specs, wood types, pickups etc...at the end of the day getting that #1 guitar I believe is playing enough and just getting lucky.

So why are they so expensive comparatively? As far as I can tell it really comes down to three things; custom options (exotic wood types), super blinged out poly finishes and their plek machine. When you factor those things in and that it is done by VERY skilled workers in a smaller business, the price begins to make sense.

You will never get a Suhr or Anderson that makes you just go "Meh, I think it sounds pretty good", but it also doesn't guarantee they will be your #1.

• Members

To me its proportion . Or could be 40 years of brainwashing seeing Fender headstocks
:o

I'm not sure, either, but I've never been able to get past it. I even own some G&L's and owned an Anderson but the look of the headstock still annoys me. Maybe it is brainwashin

I knew a guy who hated the look of the G&L's so much that he recut and refinished the headstock on a couple of his. Ruined the value but he was happy and planned to keep 'em...

• Members

Snorkeldinkery? Some hipsters just gotta outsmart everything. transparent.

Suhr headstocks are butt ugly. I'm sure (hehe) they are decent guitars, tho....for those that can stomach the butt ugly headstock.

Archived