Why a Suhr or Anderson over High end Fender?

Snappy Hat

• Members

Esthetically I hate the headstocks on both over a fender.

In fact the Suhr and Anderson look like cheap knockoff

strat headstocks to me, and over the years they never

have grown on me.

The pricing is in the ballpark so whats the appeal?

It is the appeal of having a less common guitar?

I havent played a Suhr but played Anderson's before and wasnt

wowed.

blog_anderson_strat_headstock.jpg?w=560

suhr_head.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The appeal is finding the guitar that speaks to you. Build quality is top notch/custom-shop quality, and you can get options like stainless steel frets, a huge variety of neck profiles to choose from, and high-end pickups. If you order a custom shop strat it's probably going to be as much or more than a Suhr or Tom Anderson. To be fair I have played Suhr strats that didn't blow me away, so like anything else it really depends on the individual instrument. I can vouch for Suhr's overall quality, though.

I played a Nash strat about a year ago and it was 110% awesome. Haven't played a Tyler but I've heard nothing but good things.

• Members

I'm no expert on them, but I've played many of each. I don't think that the best Suhr/Anderson/Tyler guitars are a considerable step over exceptional Fender CS and Masterbuilts but the Suhrs, Andersons and esp Tylers are pretty consistent in my limited experience. I admit that I'm not a fan of the non-Fender headstocks but that certainly wouldn't stop me from buying one.

:idk:

I don't think most owners of such guitars went out of their way to get something Fender-like but not Fender-branded. They probably just wanted a quality guitar and got tired of looking for exactly the right Fender.

• Members

IMO, G&L is a great option if you want the strat form with some modern improvements at a reasonable price.

Oh, and I think one of those guys used to work at fender too.
;)

only one? man, Fullerton always gets the shaft in these discussions.

also, they're both dead. there's no way they can oversee process now.

:p

• Members

IMO, G&L is a great option if you want the strat form with some modern improvements at a reasonable price.

Oh, and I think one of those guys used to work at fender too.
;)

But again -- you have to deal with an ugly headstock:

2006Trinity-Headstock%20Logo.jpg

• Members

I think it's mostly this. After all this time, to many, Fender and Gibson headstocks just look "right."

Ahhh I have a test, will post pics . There can be a scientific reason Fender headstocks look better. BRB.

Ohh if I am right I have solved a puzzle

• Members

I really like my Strat and I really like my Suhr. :idk: If I wanted to order a custom Suhr (I do actually have another one on order), then the price is still very comparable to a Fender Custom Shop and based on the ones I've played..the Suhr is different class.

Archived