Anyone know a good wound G electric set?

sxyryan

• Members

Been fighting with my Gretsch since I got it, and about a month ago I finally figured out how to set it up to stay in tune. It seems the secret was that wound G string.

Problem is I prefer 11's, and I am having a hard time finding strings. Right now I'm running D'addario 11's with a separately purchased wound G. This works short term but is kind of a pain, and then not all guitar shops have the same brand single strings, so it could be hit or miss. For example, right now the wound G is an Ernie Ball, while the rest are D'addarios, and in cleaner and light grit situations it tends to act like a sore thumb.

I could probably change the bridge, but it works fine other than that, and I like the look, so I'd prefer just to find that elusive string set. I don't mind paying a little more for them, as this guitar has decisively become my favourite and #1.

Superfluous guitar picture:

337210_416165185087718_1312107447_o.jpg

• Members

Thanks folks!

I have D'addarios on it now, but I'll give those other ones a shot too. Everything else I have gets Ernie Balls, so I'm open to new stuff, especially since none of my other electrics are anything like the Tenny.

• Members

Naw, it stayed in with everything but the G.

The more I thought about it, originally, all the G's were wound, and the bridge on the Tenny is based on old school stuff. I do setups and stuff, but I have never worked on a guitar with this particular bridge.

• Members

Naw, it stayed in with everything but the G

The more I thought about it, originally, all the G's were wound, and the bridge on the Tenny is based on old school stuff. I do setups and stuff, but I have never worked on a guitar with this particular bridge.

Did you try swapping the tuner from the G string into a different position? If so, is the G string still going out of tune or is the other one going out of tune?

• Members

Did you try swapping the tuner from the G string into a different position? If so, is the G string still going out of tune or is the other one going out of tune?

This is an issue with the string, especially with Bigsby use.

As mentioned in the first post, the issue was fixed by swapping to a wound G. My problem is locally finding strings sets lighter than 12's with a wound G.

Please, those who are questioning tuning stability, understand that when I bought the guitar, it did not stay in tune. I do professional setups, but 99% percent of people who bring me guitars have tuneomatics, strat style trems and Floyd Roses. I know how to restring a guitar. The bridge on this guitar is just a round hunk of brass, so it had some little quirks that took me a little longer to figure out than usual.

• Members

This is an issue with the string, especially with Bigsby use.

As mentioned in the first post, the issue was fixed by swapping to a wound G. My problem is locally finding strings sets lighter than 12's with a wound G.

Please, those who are questioning tuning stability, understand that when I bought the guitar, it did not stay in tune. I do professional setups, but 99% percent of people who bring me guitars have tuneomatics, strat style trems and Floyd Roses. I know how to restring a guitar. The bridge on this guitar is just a round hunk of brass, so it had some little quirks that took me a little longer to figure out than usual.

The wound string may be a band-aid, that is why I suggested to swap the G string tuner with another one from the guitar. It only takes 5 minutes and does not cost any money.

• Members

The wound string may be a band-aid, that is why I suggested to swap the G string tuner with another one from the guitar. It only takes 5 minutes and does not cost any money.

But see... it fixed it. If the tuner was the issue, it wouldn't have worked.

When tuners fail, the string often won't keep tension. This had more of an issue of going sharp. I checked the nut first, and with that not being the issue I was a bit puzzled. I had read about issues on old Gibson wraparounds, so I tried the wound G.

Archived